1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Anyone invest in cryptocurrency? Seems to be gaining alot of hype but I don't really know much about it

2. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I had been sitting on two bitcoins for a few years, bought them back when they were around $700ish. Sold them the other day when bitcoin reached $1600. Was pretty sure it would drop down before hitting $1700 but now it's at $1860 and potentially may hit $1900 or $2K before the bubble bursts.

No regrets at this point though, reading through bitcoin forums and blogs, almost everyone sees us to be in a huge bubble right now. I'll potentially buy back some more when this drops below $1K. Aside from Ethereum (which serves a different purpose than bitcoin but currently much smaller market), all the other cryptocurrencies seem like pump and dump scams or at best a waste of money at best with no practical use and no viable route for widespread adoption.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Geeze, NVDA still going. They are going to have a monopoly on the autonomous driving hardware.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Farck.

Missed out on about 8% by selling too early.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

So dumb. I knew they were going to hit $130, but after being burned by a lot of stocks recently I decided to take the profits.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Snapchat just snapped today on first earnings report. $2.2 Billion quarterly loss. Stock down over 20%. :eek:

Anyone here take a hit?

I predicted this would happen in an earlier post. Still, I'm concerned this might be the start of the tech bubble burst.

7. split41

split41 Member

Market is super bullish at the moment, everything's going up. My stocks are going up across the board.

What are people's thoughts on Netflix?

I got a couple of grand in it, seems be exploding internationally while the US growth has started to plateau, but they are the current market leaders, and think they'll have a bit of a worldwide dominance in online streaming (In the West).

I'm up 14% since investing in March.

Do you guys think it's worth holding onto long-term or cash out while I'm up and the market is bullish?

8. fallenphoenix

Figured this was going to happen and wrestled with shorting it yesterday. Too bad I decided not to. I don't think this is related to a bubble bursting. If they reported this loss and the stock went up, then I'd be concerned that there is a bubble. Seems only normal for a stock to tank after an earnings call like that.

9. fallenphoenix

NFLX valuation is way too high for my taste, but I consider myself more of a value investor. There's plenty of more reasonably valued opportunities out there. The price is way ahead of where it is at right now, but maybe it'll catch up... maybe it won't. Just know if something bad happens it's going to tank like Chipotle did after those people got sick.

Also I find myself using Hulu more and more than Netflix. I also don't think NFLX's international expansion is going to go as well as people think. There are already services in foreign countries that distribute their local content. NFLX exploded because they were very early in buying up all the digital content in the US, but that won't be the same story overseas and going forward.

split41 likes this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I still think this might the catalyst for a greater tech burst later down the road. SNAP was the most hyped IPO in 3 years and it came crashing down to reality. The past few years have been littered with crash and burn tech IPOs like Twitter, Fitbit, GoPro, Lending Club, Groupon, Etsy, Zynga.

Then, you have the unicorns in line: Airbnb and Uber, both with insane private valuations of $31 Billion and $69 Billion respectively, However, Uber's entire future could be in jeopardy if Google gets a court injunction ordering Uber to halt its self-driving program after allegedly stealing much of the technology.

So, yeah there is a tech bubble going on in Silicon Valley and these priced-to-perfection tech IPOs are underperforming at an increasing rate. The reckoning is coming.

11. fallenphoenix

I don't see how there is a bubble when the unworthy IPOs are crashing and burning as they should. It would be a bubble if those garbage IPOs started getting valued like they were the next facebook.

Agree to disagree though. Maybe we have a different definition of a bubble.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I would hold on to Netflix because Apple or someone else is going to buy them.

13. le081488

le081488 Member

NVDA oh my.

Was in the mid 90s about a month ago but didn't anticipate this.

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I just started trading again after spouse leaving IB. I have been trying to get approval to short and trade options with my new broker, but missed this opportunity. I was planning on shorting Snap, but may need to wait a bit now. If there is a tech bubble burst, SNAP will be hit harder than similar companies like facebook.

Too late to get into NVDA?

15. fallenphoenix

CIBR finally getting some attention due to this ransomware outbreak. Hard to think of a safer investment than cyber-security going forward.

16. fallenphoenix

What were your plays today? Sold my VXX that I bought last week and bought more BAC and C

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Surprised you didn't want to go with TVIX.

18. fallenphoenix

In hindsight I should have. I tend to stay away from leveraged ETFs.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I finally decided to be a real adult and start putting money in mutual funds instead of just having them in my savings account. I'm keeping 25% of my savings liquid and put the rest the following way in Vanguard:

40% in VTSAX, 20% in VTIAX, 20% 2045 Target Date Retirement, 20% VWITX

I'm 29. Is this too conservative? Should I be playing more?

fallenphoenix likes this.
  20. fallenphoenix

Seems fine to me. If anything I'd do 30% VTIAX and 10% VWITX if you wanted to be a bit more aggressive, but that's just me.

kevC likes this.