1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

They should make a law about padding legislation. That **** should entail a huuuuuge fine.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Have them return under the table and they can make even more. Or remind them that in the long term they need to have a job and offer a returning bonus if they don't leave you high and dry.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Funny how senator mcconnell answers in such a condescending way to a reasonable question about the bill... an ironic that he couch's his answer as "we are the elected..." Yea, the American people elect you... and you answer to us.

AleksandarN likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Weekly initial claims data is out. 3.3 million this week, compared to 0.3 million last week. Unemployment rate for March is looking to be on the order of 6-8%, up from ~3.5%. And probably the worst is yet to come. State offices can't even process claims fast enough given the volume. Texas controller is expecting ~9%+ unemployment before this is over and will probably tap rainy day fund (is $9B even enough?). Our worst was 9.2% in 1986.

https://thinkwhy.com/news-detail/u-s-unemployment-claims-skyrocket
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/24/texas-unemployment-rate-has-more-doubled-9-comptroller-says/

Yes, this is mostly people in service industry jobs. But, everyone look around at your own situation and judge if you're employment is safe. Commercial activity is way down. If your company depends on ultimately selling things to consumers, you might want to consider if your CFO is advising layoffs to your CEO. And, if there will be layoffs, is your department on the chopping block?

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Well it is the largest stimulus/bailout we've done..... why shouldn't we also help various non profits and like programs?

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, he learned it from the "best." The best at being a rude, entitled ogre, that is.

**** Mitch McConnell. It is no small consolation to know exactly how he will go down in American history.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I’m not feeling the airline industry getting a 32B grant, with restrictions ending in September. Why not loans with full restrictions like everyone else (other non-small businesses)?

Nook, Hakeemtheking and justtxyank like this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

@SamFisher the Senate bill basically does my plan and allows businesses under 500 employees to take a loan to cover all of payroll for 2 months that can be completely forgiven if they don't fire anyone basically.

Nook, mikol13, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Is anyone honestly surprised at this?

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Drafting error, clerical oversight, lol it never ends.

AleksandarN, NewRoxFan and RayRay10 like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

No tax revenue, no bailout...**** 'em.

Nook, jcf, NewRoxFan and 3 others like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Must have been another clerical error...

Nook and AleksandarN like this.
  14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Picture of the gop and their friends after the stimulus package passing congress.

[​IMG]

B-Bob, SamFisher and RayRay10 like this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

also is it really so bad that some people will take an extra month off ? Maybe they can even build some savings .

like you said , some will want to come back due to wanting a job in the future . Incentives are important but so are relationships . The incentives only last 4 months right ?

We still are not near the peak of this health crisis. It will be regional , and once it peaks it’s not just like there are all of a sudden 0 cases and 0 risk of getting sick . Recovery takes a long time. The healthcare sector will still need to be a focus . Essential retail might need a new wave of employees .

those thinking it’s going to be a month shutdown then because of this government bill things can’t get back off the ground are fooling themselves .

how long has Italy been on lockdown ? When is that situation gonna go back to normal ? China ? Spain ?

I mean I favor a different policy , but people still don’t understand the health element of this .

Hakeemtheking, AleksandarN and B-Bob like this.
  16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thats in the final bill?

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Trump is about to be cleared to give $3,000+ to families with kids across the nation - IN AN ELECTION YEAR! This is a huge plus in terms of Trump's re-election. How the media hasn't figured this out by now is amazing to me. I love how Trump takes the left's ideas and outflanks them. Just totally beats them at their own game. Love him or hate him, Trump is running circles around these politicians.

How many non-Trump hating people who get $3000 are NOT going to vote Trump? Brilliant!

GOOD DAY

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Do adult children who were claimed by their parents qualify for anything? It doesn't look like it.

A lot of people in my age group getting out of college right now, or working but still living with their parents allow their parents to claim them. Gonna suck for them.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I believe this is going to go by 2018 tax returns.

My son falls in that same category .... even tho he doesn't live with us anymore.

Basically they'd credit us for my son instead of giving it to him - IF that's the case we'll just give him his share. Not much else we can do given the circumstances.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How old is your son? It looks like adult children (17 and older) do not qualify for any money if they were claimed as dependents. Children dependents (16 and under) will get $500.

If your son filed his own taxes in 2019 then I think he will be eligible, they are going off of the latest tax filling of either 2018 or 2019.

So many of my friends, and my wife who allowed her mom to claim her, won't be eligible for the 1200. This sucks, a lot of people in the 17-24 age group allow their parents to claim them out of habit or in an attempt to help their parents save money on taxes.

Hakeemtheking likes this.