1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry is more athletic than Monta Ellis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Medicine N Music, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry I didn't post this in the other thread, but I felt that this is one point that keeps popping up throughout the board. I'm not sure if his game will translate on the Rockets, but I think he'll be a pretty decent player.

How is Ellis so much more athletic?

Stephen Curry - 2009 Combine Measurements
    Height w/o shoes - 6' 2
    Vertical - 35.5
    Cones - 11.07
    Sprint - 3.28
    Bench - 10

Monta Ellis - 2005 Combine Measurements
    Height w/o shoes - 6' 2.25
    Vertical - 31.5
    Cones - 12.13
    Sprint - 3.31
    Bench - NA

Monta coming out was known as a shooter, just like Curry....except Curry is much more athletic.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very interesting. This probably helps explain Curry's soaring stock. Almost like people are starting to convince themselves that Curry is the real deal.

3. acerockets

acerockets Member

i think that curry will surprise alot of people in the nba
    he is a dewcent athlete and he off course can shoot the ball

4. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I do have to point out that Curry's numbers are really not that impressive compared to others. He's basically very average when compared to point guards. However, if you compare him to SGs, then he is above average, but still not that great. Monta just tested out to be very unathletic (this is why he was in the 2nd round), so I was surprised to see him do so well in the NBA. Maybe it's GS's system, or maybe it's his in-game speed.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I remember looking at that one video of an NBA workout. He seems to be able to change direction on a dime... and still be undere control to spot up and shoot. I'd love that shooting on the Rockets!

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

No guard in the league is MUCH MORE athletic than Ellis. If anything, he's slightly more athletic but those numbers aren't everything. Ellis may have been off that day or something. You never know. Ellis is insanely quick and athletic. Until I see Curry blowing by people in the NBA the way Ellis does, I'll take those numbers with a grain of salt.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'll admit those numbers are arresting. Hmmm...

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With those numbers Ellis was only able to get picked in the second round remember. We don't know how much he worked to improve his game once he got in the league. To assume Curry would do the same makes no sense. As it stands he doesn't deserve to get picked in the top 5 (or 10 in my opinion) in the draft. But neither does Harden, in my opinion. Pretty much none of the SG's out there except DeRozan and Tyreke Evans (if you consider him the SG that he is) have much of any upside.

9. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

I seen those numbers too when I was looking him up on DX too but those numbers won't mean **** if he can show it on the floor. Monta plays like the fastest, quickest guy in the league. Can't say that for Curry. You watch the two of them and compare them together: anyone would swear that you got the two mixed up. It's all about what they show on the basket court not so much the NBA combine. I would put my money on it that Monta would destroy him if they match-up together sometime in the NBA. Monta is a rising star and Curry is an unproven prospect. I'd take Monta over Curry any day.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Didn't Ellis come out of high school? He's not some monster like LeBron or Dwight Howard or Kwame Brown ( :D ).... so he rightly slipped in the draft.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If those numbers are legit, it just shows how worthless the combine numbers can be. Stephen Curry is nowhere near as athletic as Monte Ellis. The big advantage he has on Ellis is IQ. Stephen Curry is a very smart, savvy basketball player who sees the whole floor. He's a good passer. Monte Ellis makes some of the dumbest decisions you will ever see in an NBA game. It will make you wonder. But when he's hitting from mid-range, Ellis is completely and absolutely unstoppable because nobody can stay with him. I've seen him hit 6, 7, 8 shots in-a-row and score 18 points in 6 minutes like it's child's play. If anyone thinks Stephen Curry will be flying around creating havoc in the open court like Ellis, forget it.

I'm going to assume Ellis had an off-day during the combine. With what I've seen him do, his vertical has to be much more than just 31.5 inches. His ability to accelerate after changing directions is breathtaking.

What Monte Ellis will never be successful at is leading a team. He doesn't have the smarts nor the personality to be an alpha dog on an NBA team. He needs a PG like Baron Davis to take the pressure off of him, directing traffic both on the court and off.

In the NBA, Curry won't be dealing with triple-teams anymore, but he will have trouble creating his shot without screens.

12. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Maybe I didn't word my sentence correctly, but I meant that Curry is more athletic going into the draft than Monta. I would have guessed that his athletic ability improved with adequate training and maturing of his physique. However, Monta Ellis was 19 when he entered the draft and turned 20 before the start of the 2005 season. My guess would be a combination of GS's system and increased training. If you take a look at Nate Robinson; he was pretty quick before this year, but he consistantly blew by defenders with the wide open style of basketball they're playing in NY.

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Measurements can be deceiving.

There's no way Chase Budinger is quicker based on his agility times than Demar Derozan, for example. Its all about the player's focus and training beforehand. Some players train exclusively and are made to excel more in these kind of combine tests.

THERE IS NO WAY CURRY IS MORE ATHLETIC THAN MONTA ELLIS.

Watch them in real time, especially after Curry plays against some NBDL chumps and you will be able to tell immediately who is more athletic :rolleyes:

14. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

15. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

this is a segment from the article here that I had to read twice...

lol :eek:

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

He did come out of high school. There is a bit of a difference in a kid coming out of high school compared to someone who's played a few years if college ball....at least as far as measurements go.

17. Josephduyho03

Josephduyho03 Member

Curry may be more athletic but Monta Ellis can finish around the rim just as good as anyone in the league. Plus Monta is a fastbreak machine!!!!

18. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Curry must be stronger than Dwight Howard too! :eek: :eek:

Just look at Dwight's DX profile and you see that Howard only benched 7 to Curry's 10. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dwight-Howard-2888/

WOW! Curry has to be the strongest player in the league too. :rolleyes: Just shows that the NBA combine isn't everything.

19. chonox

chonox Member

hahaha :D

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not uncommon, actually. I think Andre Iguodala also tested out pretty mediocre pre-draft.