1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith flip flops on Jeremy Lin...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. torocan

torocan Member

Hell hath frozen over. Buried amongst his various comments was this gem...

Stephen A. Smith : "Jeremy Lin could be and probably will be a star in this league 3, 4 years down the road."

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8758872

General comments starting at 21:30. Specific comments start around the 29:00 mark.

The world gets stranger and stranger...

2. jk103

jk103 Member

I might actually kind of agree with something that SAS said. That's can't happen. Where can I turn my LoF card in for a LoH card?

3. Wizardsonlyfan

He found out he actually has a following in Taiwan.

4. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

SAS used to say Lin is a marginal player. Now he says that Lin could be a very good player one day, but not a good fit for Knicks. Lin could be great, but Melo will suffer a lot with Lin on the same team.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

I have loved pretty much all of your posts torocan but I actually don't like this one. Who cares what Stephen A thinks about anything basketball related. He is not deserving of his own thread. His opinion is irrelevant & beyond his "sources" he knows very little about basketball minus the superstars.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

7. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

Oh crap we're all screwed, this is one of the signs that the world is in fact ending in 3 days.

1 person likes this.
  8. novaman

novaman Member

SAS has changed his tune. He still says Jeremy's not going to be able to go off against defenses keyed to stop him (which fails to explain the San Antonio game) and can't play defense- but he's probably going to have to change his tune on all that as well in the future.

9. torocan

torocan Member

I just thought it was an interesting curiousity since SAS is a fairly high profile ESPN commentator, and that it was completely contrary to his perceived position on Lin.

File it under general interest.

If it overlaps with another thread, the mods should merge it.

10. SK34

SK34 Member

SAS also said, He probably could have dropped 30 on the knicks......ROFL

11. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I don't think theres anything wrong with this thread necessarily. Proves the point that this fool is well.....a fool.
    Btw, anyone else lol'd at the irony of his statement last night (SAS) talking about Sanchez and the Jets? He said , paraphrased here, that he's not usually "political, but right now I have to offer a non political opinion."
    What a joke.

12. itachen

itachen Member

First time I listened to First Take in a LONG time.. I actually think they watched the games this time. But you know, they are marketing genius among the media... SAS and Bayless are the front runners of stirring up controversy and they know this game - since Jeremy Lin had been at the bottom of his slump, it's no longer interesting news to continue bashing him. They'll be praising him more now until it's the right time to put the hammer down again. It just keeps on cycling to make sure they have interesting things to talk about.

1 person likes this.
  13. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

this is fine. i scan the thread starter for the name "torocan" first. all other threads are 2nd rate stuff ;)

14. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

:grin:

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

LOL."SAS surrounded by asian press at MSG interviewing him" love to find those videos. SAS found out that he has a following now in asia becuase of Jlin!
    All of a sudden Reason has entered his mind.

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Maybe he'll get his own sneaker.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

SAS offical mouth guard with a lock

18. peter2012

peter2012 Member

He used to say lin is marginal player, a D-leaguer who does not belong in NBA, he mentioned all lin's weakness all the time, even during Linsanity period. Dont know what is wrong with him, why he has to hate lin so much. Basicly I think lin is a good role modle in NBA, I like him a lot. You can see his reaction when people hit him hard especailly compared to Rondo. Classy like Tim Duncan.

Does anybody has a clue why?

19. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Thanks Torocan, I was searching for some SAS comments after last nights game, you saved me a lot of time tonight.

20. Roxs

Roxs Member

I used to not be able to stand SAS. He was just so irritating to listen to and seems to have a racial bias.

But I actually find him hilarious now. He's a showman. The stuff he says may not always be something that you agree with, but I find incredible amounts of humor in how he says it, especially when he's angry. That's just radio gold to me and my girlfriend.

Regarding Jeremy Lin, SAS does what every mainstream media writer does, gives a compliment with a qualifier. I.e. "Jeremy is a solid PG, he's never going to be elite, but he's solid." Not unlike what many LOH people here say.

I never thought what Jeremy was a fluke, but I wondered, like most people, where is Lin's max potential. I think the reason why there's such wide ranging disagreements is because it's hard to extrapolate what you've never seen before.

1 person likes this.