1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Statistics Question - Video Poker

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It should work. Bobrek had already posted it. I just didn't realize what he posted was the same thing.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

50/50.

You either win or you lose.

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I like math. I don't like doing math.

4. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

You are assuming these video poker machines are following the exact odds. I could be wrong, but I don't think they do.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Of course they do. :)

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I had assumed there were regulations in place for gambling licenses that dictate fair odds.

Is this not so?

7. bobrek

I have to believe they are strictly regulated. Last thing these guys want is me missing out on a $25 payout because they did something crooked.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

When attempting to draw a particular card, your odds of hitting that 4th Ace are 1/47 on the first draw and then 1/46 on the 2nd draw.

The odds are the same for every hand. So each of those 10 hands has the exact same odds of hitting that Ace.

However, when dealing with a random draw on a larger sample size, there are bound to be a random set of outcomes.

So although the odds seem better with 10 hands, I believe this is ultimately an illusion.

9. bobrek

I tend to agree about the illusion, but due to those darned statistics, the odds should get better the more you are in that situation. For instance, pretty sure that when I have played 50 hands on my iPad, I have always hit that 4th ace.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah statistics and probability are a whole different breed of math.

Regression to the mean is what you are referring to.

For instance a coin is flipped 99 times and hits tails all 99 times. What are the odds it hits heads on the 100th toss? Still 50/50. There is no recency bias in stats.

While regession to the mean tells you that heads has to come up sooner or later, the odds are still 50/50 on that 100th toss.

11. bobrek

In the immortal words of Gene Elston the old Colts/Astros announcer when a player was in a long hitless streak:

“The longer he goes without getting a hit, the closer he comes to getting one”