1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting lineup: Asik vs. Casspi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Who should start?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2013.
  1. Asik - Twin Towers

62.5%
  2. Casspi - Stretch 4

25.9%
  3. Dmo/Jones - cocaine is a helluva drug

11.6%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

After all the hoopla about Dmo vs. Jones, neither is guaranteed to even break the rotation, much less start. The real battle for the final spot in the starting lineup comes down to Asik vs. Casspi. Twin towers vs. stretch 4.

We will see both lineups throughout the games, so the question isn't about which player is better(the answer to that would be emphatically: Asik), but rather which is the better fit.

From the looks of it, by all indication we are going to go with Asik at the start of the season. Personally, I think that will change as the year progresses. But to play devil's advocate, the advantages of starting Asik:

1. Keeps Asik's morale high. This is probably an overrated advantage: Asik is a consummate professional.

2. Keeps Asik's trade value high. This is probably another overrated advantage: NBA GMs are not that dumb. But you never know.

3. Asik is unquestionably the Rocket's third best player. You can still play him plenty of minutes off the bench, but that is easier to accomplish logistically by starting him. Whether you think he is a good fit or not, there is something to be said about simply playing your best players.

As for Casspi, the advantages are numerous:

1. McHale has repeatedly stated that he wants the team to play the same way as last year. That he does not want them to slow down. Does Twin Towers resemble anything we did last year? Run and gun with a defensive anchor is our primary style of play. And to start off the game, you want to establish YOUR style.

2. 4 out 1 in is proven to be the best style that fits Dwight Howard's offense. It is his 10th year in the league, we are not going to reinvent the wheel here. Dwight is arguably your best player, so we will play to his strengths. This is further evidence that Twin Towers is situational, and not our primary style of play.

3. McHale was talking about fit and on court chemistry in an interview. He said chemistry is when player's skillsets compliment eachother, as opposed to getting in eachother's way because of duplication. The two obvious examples are Lin+Harden, and Howard+Asik.

4. You can get away with small ball when Howard is your center, this has been proven over the years. Last year, with Asik it was much more of a risk vs. reward scenario. This is because he has different defensive strengths when compared to Howard. Howard is a terrific weakside shot blocker, which is a much better fit with small ball when your undersized stretch 4 is getting abused in the paint.

5. This isn't being discussed enough(at all?), foul trouble. The whole point of having 2 of the best defensive anchors in the league is to have 48 minutes of rim protection that everyone keeps talking about. By starting both, that plan is put into jeopardy. If and when Howard picks up 2 quick fouls(a fairly common scenario), you can't bring him back in when Asik has to go out(around the 2 min mark). You will have to deviate from your regular rotation, and likely run Dmo out there as your center. YOU DO NOT WANT DMO AS YOUR CENTER. Avoid at all costs if possible.

I think Asik has earned his keep to remain in the starting lineup for now. He's paid his dues last year, while Casspi is the newcomer. The last thing you want is to throw Casspi in there based on hot preseason shooting, and then have to change it up if he struggles. Besides, I'm sure he is still getting used to McHale's terminology and system.

However, based on what fits the team's primary style of play, based on what fits arguably your best player's game, I think eventually Casspi will be your starting PF.

In fact, barring trade or injury, I'm willing to bet that Casspi starts more games for the Rockets this year than Asik.

#1 CXbby, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

In order to match up with the Spurs and the Grizzlies and etc, we have to beat them with size! A team like the Grizzlies win because it is hard to match up with Randolph and Gasol. We have the personnel to counter what they like to do.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DMo should be the starter, he works well with Howard and Casspi off the bench.

DD

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ask the Heat how they beat the Spurs in the finals.

In fact, look up the starting lineup for the Spurs in the finals.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It should be matchup dependent. If facing "small ball" teams, start Casspi. Otherwise, start Asik. I voted Asik, because most of the time I think we should just go with him.

6. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

But we don't have a player that can guard the 1-4. (Lebron James)

7. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I disagree because....

1. He is a good, but, inconsistent shooter.

2. He is not physical enough to defend a lot of the top PFs in the West....

So IMO its basically a lose lose.

Asik has the size and Casspi has the range for those two to be a good argument.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I would rather establish a brand of basketball that other teams have to adjust to, not the other way around. Miami did not play big ball to counter the Spurs, they did the opposite and played to their own strengths. So much so that they ran one of the Spurs' top contributors - Splitter - right off the court.

I like the Twin Towers lineup. I really think it can work, and definitely has it's uses. Sometimes, even when you try to impose your style on another team, it fails. In those situations, we have an ace in the hole to go to. Another option.

But that's what it is, just an option, it isn't our brand of basketball. And to start off the game, you want to cram YOUR brand of basketball down your opponent's throat, whether they like it or not.

9. afk

afk Member

Cocaine should start. Drug should finish sentences.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Donatas "THE MAN" Motiejunas?

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why do u guys like to discuss such topics:
    Who should be starting lineup: Lin vs PBev?
    Who should be starting lineup: Asik vs Casspi?
    Who is better: D-mo vs TJ?
    Who is No 1: D12 vs Harden?

12. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I like Asik in the lineup.

13. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

All in All, both options are great options to have. We can counter teams in multiple ways. That is why im very excited for the season.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was Jordan 'The Man' Hill

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He plays terrible defense, is terribly inconsistent.

Rockets are looking to win championships, they don't have time to develop players anymore. You either bring something to the table right now and that gets you minutes.

D-Mo just does nothing consistently right now. Cassipi's shot can be relied upon (hopefully) Asik's defense and rebounding can be relied upon.

As for the starting lineup, I like the idea of Asik starting with Howard but their minutes staggering so that one of them is always on the court...then finding out throughout the game who ends it depending on what has been working throughout that particular game. Which means sometimes Asik may not close games but that is nothing new.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Casspi, because I predicted on 08/03 that he would be the opening night starting PF. Asik should get some spot starts against teams with two bigs.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am just going to put this here for the record, for future reference:

Current voting is 30 - 1 - 1 in favor of Twin towers.

The 1 vote for Casspi is mine.

The 1 vote for Dmo/Jones is DD's. (surprise)

After the results of this poll:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=245239

I shouldn't say that I am totally shocked. But that is still a hell of a heap of groupthink right now.

Yes, yes, they are likely going to run with Asik and Howard on Wednesday. So all of a sudden no one here can think outside of that?

You guys don't remember a time when 90% of you would have voted for Dmo or Jones? A time, like 3 weeks ago?

Guess I'll quote this post in 3 more weeks when McHale starts Casspi and the poll magically becomes 50:50.

edit:

After 150 votes it is 80% Asik, 12% Dmo/Jones, and Casspi is third.

#17 CXbby, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm certainly not encouraged by his 3pt shooting.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are WAY too high on Casspi, he plays poor D even at the 3 and has no hope to D up ANY 4 in the league and is inconsistent with his shooting. On hot nights, his shooting will make up for the disaster that he is on defense, on his cold nights.....well let's not talk about them.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I love that all of a sudden PF's are judged solely by their 3 point shooting.....McHale must have been a terrible PF shooting only 26% from 3 point land.