1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start KJ McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sufiank, Oct 27, 2016.

1. sufiank

sufiank Member

hardens +/- is amazing but we need scoring when he goes out. And we need someone to guard the best perimeter player (like Russell) and Gordon can't do that.

roslolian likes this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He at minimum need to take over all of Brewers minutes

JayGoogle and crash5179 like this.
  3. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

KJ is what need at sg
    A slasher/ finisher at the rim.
    3 looks like it's improving.
    Better D than Ariza at this point

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Biggest complaint from last night was that he only got 12 minutes. He played within himself but at the same time didn't play conservative.

At some point we need to accept that the Brewer contract was a mistake and just eat it.

roslolian and sufiank like this.
  5. ch44

ch44 Member

An amazing +/- for Harden would be 0. As in, when he is on the bench, the rest of the team can still hold their own.

sufiank likes this.
  6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

just hav ehim defend pgs sheeeeesh. what is their ****in deal with this guy? cmon lets goooooo. we need gordon off the bench for scoring.

play d at on d, then consant movement on o. he's been working on his shot so they can see if he can be an avg 3pt shooter. i ohpe they give this guy a real chance. perfect opportunity for him, only they can **** i tup

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think he needs Brewers minutes, and Brewer needs to be used super sparingly. Starting him??... I don't think so.

I like the Gordon/Harden backcourt so I don't want to mess with that. When Bev comes back, maybe start him and bring Gordon off the bench. That's fine to me either way.

The 3/4 spot is where the issues are. I personally think Dekker (I know he's got alot of detractors but hear me out), really has the tools the Rockets could use best to really bolster their starting lineup with Harden. I've said this time and time again that watch the Rockets offense, and when the play slows down, the ball almost ALWAYS finds it way to Ariza with the clock winding down. That's by design by the other team for a very good reason. Ariza CANNOT put the ball on the floor, and kills the play even if it doesn't seem obvious at the time. Upgrading the playmaking ability of the 3 spot is huge for this team to get better shots in the halfcourt. Dekker is the one guy I've seen that can do A LITTLE bit of playmaking, can put the ball on the floor, and replace a little bit of what the Rockets really never replaced with Parsons.

I like KJ but he doesn't really solve anything in the starting lineup to me. He really needs to get more comfortable making plays off the dribble in order to be a starter. The Rockets can't afford any weaknesses in their starting lineup given how pathetic their defense is and will continue to be.

8. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

As far as the current roster goes, this is the only thing the Rockets can do. Start out with a better defensive lineup. Gordon can be the PG off the bench. Ennis should not be getting any substantial minutes.

Long term, we need to sign Motiejunas and trade/cut Brewer, Ennis and Onuaku. We could get better FA players using the vet min right now.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AMEN - how hard is that to see that Brewer is terrible? What METRICS make him look good, if they do, there is a flaw in the methodology.

DD

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

My hope is that they are giving Brewer pt in the beginning of the season in the hopes that the Antoni offense will make him look better than he is and raise his value to the point where they don't have to attach a first round pick to get rid of him.

If only Memphis had cap space. I don't see them giving up anyone on their roster for Brewer. JB can't have that much pull yet.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think I get what you mean. The number 0 means status quo to addition and subtraction, after all.

But that's not how +/- is calculated. It's versus the other team. We want Harden to be as + as possible...like Lebron and Curry plus. I think a better statement is the rest of the team should be 0 when Harden is out. Or at least a -4.

What's really amazing with this math is the closer your are to 48 minutes the more your +/- converges to your teams actual point differential for the game. Right...makes sense right. Follow me, so we also all know that season long team pt differential is one of the best indicators of team success. Harden was a freaking +10 last game in a -6 pt loss. That's really hard to achieve when you play 38 minutes.

In 10 minutes, the team lost 16 freaking points.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really would like to sign Motiejunas and use Gordon and Anderson off the bench.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Breaking down like that lets me know just how bad Tyler Enis, Corey Brewer and Nene really were. As if my eyes did not work last night.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't care whether he starts, but playing him only 15 minutes or so last night was lunacy given how well he was playing in comparison to Brewer/Ariza

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Couldnt agree more with the OP. Start KJ AND Capella. I'd bet the defense improves and Harden would get a couple more highlight reel ally oop assists.

Bring Ariza and Nene off the bench for that 'veteran leadership'

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sign DMo and get back Beverley and our bench will look a lot better...

Gordon
    McDaniels
    Dekker
    DMo
    Nene

17. alethios

alethios Member

Brewer will put the curse of the goat on this team if he's benched in favor of KJ. There's no easy way out of this.

18. ch44

ch44 Member

I think you only have half of the formula down. You are only looking at the "plus" of when they are on the court, and not the "minus" of when they are off the court. If a team manages to keep the exact same pace with a player on or off the court, they would have a 0 +/-. That is ideal, but obviously never going to happen with a star player.

An example of Plus/minus with made up numbers: let's say the Rockets were 10 points better than the Mavericks when Harden was in the game (+10). When Harden was not in the game, the Rockets were 5 points worse than the Mavericks (-5). Therefore, to find Harden's +/- rating, you simply take the difference of the two numbers: 10 - (-5), which yields a rating of +15.

It's actually possible to have a negative +/- when the team performs well with you on the court. If the Rockets outscored the Mavs by 5 with Brewer in the game, but they outscored them by 10 when he wasn't in the game, he would have a -5 +/-. This doesn't mean the Rockets were bad with Brewer in the game, it just means they were even better when he wasn't.

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

That's not how +/- is calculated on box scores. It's simply the scoring differential when a player or group of players is on the floor. If your method of calculation was correct, Capela would've been +22 last night (+15 on the court, -7 off the court). Instead, he was +15.

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20161028&game=HOUDAL

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You just repeated what I said. Harden was a +10 v LAL and the Rockets were a -6 when he was off the court. So you take the difference and he was a +16

So, you and I agree now. I wasn't following your first statement saying "an amazing +/- for Harden should be a 0." You can see now that we need him waaaayyyy in the positive, because off floor rockets will be a minus