1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start D-Howard at the 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Comic Book Nerd, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Comic Book Nerd

Go easy on me peoples. I'm still a relative noob, but I've been reading so much lately on the head scratcher of: What to do with Omer?

Saw one article on trying to teach Asik to shoot 3's and turn him into a stretch 4, and another saying that says to just force Asik to play 15-20mins a game and deal with it, another saying just trade Omer and get it over with if Asik and DHoward stumble over each other's huge sneakers.

So what about Howard starting at the 4? He's more mobile than Asik and he wouldn't have to do as much dirty work? But then shift Howard back over to the 5 when Omer sits after the first?

So basically try to keep both on the floor at the same time, but shift Dwight back and forth from the 4 and 5. I mean if we've got hybrid players like Harden basically playing 1&2 why not have Howard play 4&5?

Just curious to hear what some of you all might think?

1 person likes this.
  2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Naw, @ the 5.

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I won't kill you for this thread, because if one of them has to play the 4 it should be Howard....but you will probably get killed because there have been quite a few threads on this before. But I'm ok with it in short stints.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If they both were to start that would be the plan.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because Howard is more likely to get in foul trouble against a quicker 4 and/or will get pulled away from the basket, which isnt good because he's a better shot blocker than Omer.

6. pass_to_Hakeem

Asik is too big to play 4 (and too slow). Howard would have abetted chance at shooting 88% from the FT line then Asik would hitting a 3 of any kind. I love the idea of playing Howard at the 4.. Starting them both and putting Howard at the 4, after 15-20 mins then pull Asik and move Howard to the 5 and then they can spell each other the rest of the game.. *whew* that realistically... will be too much trouble to do so I'm guessing Asik goes back to the bench where he will either persist on a trade or sacrifice pride for his fat contract and wins!!!

7. Harden13

Harden13 Member

LOL!!! That's like asking DH12 and Asik shooting 90% from the line next year

8. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

LOL

you just can't get away with playing two bigs at the same time who can't shoot.

This is BIG MEN 101

9. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

Yes, i think we should just teach Omer to shoot the 3. I think that's the best solution...

10. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

He should come off the bench...

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we run a twin towers arrangement, which one we call the 4 and which we call the 5 isn't very important. While Howard is probably a bit more mobile and more capable of following a stretch 4 out to the perimeter, what's really important is who we want patrolling the paint on defense and who we want in the post on offense.

On offense, we're not running plays for Asik, but we will have Howard in the post and on the PnR. If we have Howard in the post, I don't see how you have Asik on the floor at all. I think Asik can have a weakside role in a PnR.

On defense, we don't want either of those guys on the perimeter. You want Howard swatting shots at the basket. And you don't want Asik far from the basket either. So, if the opponent has a stetch 4 out there, one of the 2 has to sit so you can put a defender who can go to the perimeter.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

How come no one thought of this?

14. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Defense wise: maybe ok, but not when the opponents have a stretch/quick 4.

Offense wise: hell no. Dwight doesn't have range, Asik doesn't have range. The two of them would clog the paint and kills Harden/Lin dribble penetration.

15. prs325

prs325 Member

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

On defense in certain situations yes. All the rest of time,at the 5.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Nobody really knows how it is going to work yet. Not even McHale.

McHale will experiment with different line-ups.

18. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Terrible Idea just terrible

Howard a starting 5 and not a 4. Asik and Howard on the court at the same time for extended minutes is just awful.

Plus that press conference was a about Howard being the center

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He should play point guard.

20. PatBeverleyFan

Just trade him.