1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stackhouse: Jazz play 'Coward basketball'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roswell raygun, Jan 10, 2007.

1. roswell raygun

From today's Dallas Morning News:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/011007dnspomavslede.2564d1f1.html

After getting two flagrant fouls Tuesday, Jerry Stackhouse is saying publicly about the Jazz what we at Clutchfans have known for years.

Mavs sing a mean tune, top Jazz
    12:42 AM CST on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SALT LAKE CITY – "Coward basketball."

If the Mavericks didn't have any bad blood built up against the Utah Jazz, there's plenty now after Tuesday night, when the mean and nasty Mavs showed up, with Jerry Stackhouse providing the backbone and an unfiltered analysis of Utah's style.

Stackhouse had a pair of flagrant fouls, got ejected late in the third quarter and still might have been the star of the game, even though it was Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry and Josh Howard who did the heavy lifting in a 108-105 victory over the Jazz at EnergySolutions Arena.

The meek Mavs who came to Utah last month and got beat by 22 points were nowhere to be found. Instead, Stackhouse provided the strong-armed attitude, and his teammates took the cue to put the lid on a 2-1 road trip against meaty competition.
    Mavericks/NBA

Mavs blog | Inside the Mavs

Mavs 108, Jazz 105

A mean tune

Utah's Williams used to spotlight

Mavericks-Trail Blazers preview

Box | Scores | Standings

More Mavericks

"It trickles down," said Terry, who had 18 points and six assists. "He was sick tonight. But you couldn't tell. He was out there with his mean streak, doing what Stack does. He's our enforcer. It's no secret."

Stackhouse, who missed the blowout last month against the Jazz, was eager to play against a team he believes is not nearly as tough as its reputation. He wasted no words saying so afterward.

"This is just not a team you can come out and be passive against," Stackhouse said. "They're going to hold and grab. That's what they're taught to do – play a fake physical game. We're a team that can play any style."

Though neither defense really stopped the opponent, there was rugged play at both ends of the court, particularly late in the first and third quarters, when Stackhouse got his flagrant fouls.

Stackhouse was fighting some stomach problems when he had an unwanted 4 a.m wakeup call Tuesday. He spent equal parts of the day in bed and in the bathroom.

By game time, he was chipper enough to ignite the Mavericks with nine first-quarter points, then was called for a flagrant foul and a technical after his elbow inadvertently caught Matt Harpring in the chin with 32.3 seconds left in the first quarter.

"He knows my move," Stackhouse said. "I've been playing against Matt since 1992. That move is to back the guy off of you. A guy with any good sense would have backed up."

When he tried to block a shot by backup Jazz center Jarron Collins and caught arms instead of the ball, he got a second flagrant foul and was ejected with 7.8 seconds left in the third quarter.

Of Collins' move, Stackhouse said: "If he'd gone straight up, I'd have had all ball, and it wouldn't have been a collision like that. But he moved the ball, and then obviously he flopped and fell, and I didn't even touch him. If anything, I hit his arm. But that wouldn't make him fly all over like that.

"But that's coward basketball. That's what they play, trying to talk the refs into calling flagrant fouls and [coach Jerry] Sloan lobbying for a flagrant foul at half court."

Stackhouse has a history with the Jazz. He was suspended for two games in 1996 for punching Jeff Hornacek. And, of course, he scuffled with then-Jazz guard Kirk Snyder after a game in Dallas two years ago.

"I don't care much for them," Stackhouse said. "They probably don't care much for me. That's why it's always good to get a win here, because it's hard to do."

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think I speak for every Rockets fan on this board when I say both teams can lick my hairy sack...

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stack is being Stack. He's a guy you don't want to mess with.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

isn't dirk the master of coward basketball?

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I agree

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

BINGO, Hey Utah and little d you **** yourself

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I'd back hand him if I saw him on Polk and Labranch.

8. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

Haha exactly! There was one play yesterday where he just wildly threw up his hands when there was no contact. He made it look as if someone had just taken an axe to his arms :/.

Screw the Mavs...

p.s: Screw the Jazz too...

9. dividend

dividend Member

it's true... but

pot, kettle, black

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wow, that more funny than anything else

11. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Stackhouse has a history with the Jazz... And, of course, he scuffled with then-Jazz guard Kirk Snyder after a game in Dallas two years ago.

:D

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wish Stack was on the Rockets we need an enforcer, we really don't have one.

DD

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw the 2nd half of this game, and I can't believe I could say it, but the Jazz were being screwed by the officials most of it.

Nice one Stack. Maybe if you ask him nicely, he'll let you shoot an uncontested shot, too. You swung your elbows high, and hit him in the face. Deal with it.

Unbelievable, but that game made me hate Dirk even more. He was body bumping on defense all game with no calls, and they were calling it the other side. napalm mentioned the play where he acts like he's stabbed and went untouched. And then, he's a complete selfish bonehead at the end of the game by going for a score when he could have thrown the ball to the air to run out the clock a la Magic or TMac. I really wished Okur had made the 3 just to put that in his face.

Nevermind on the play Deron Williams was blocked, Devin Harris was holding him as he turned on the pick and roll extremely blatantly.

I hope Mac drops 60 when we play them. And I hope Snyder returns to give Stackhouse some more.

But nothing is complete without a Sura cameo. :(

Edit: It's borderline hilarious. Stackhouse complains about Harpring for taking the hit, and that's the coward as opposed to his teammates who act like they're shot without any contact.

#13 NIKEstrad, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  14. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

i was watching the game and caught the first flagrant foul. stackhouse had the ball and harpring was on him. stack then tried to clear room but he led with his elbow right into harpring face. i was actually surprised there wasn't a fight after that one.

but i don't understand how stackhouse can call out the jazz for playing "coward ball" when his team is all about it.

15. stangend77

stangend77 Member

he sure flops alot thats for sure.........

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You wish everyone was on the Rockets except for the Rockets. :)

Seriously DaDa, why do the Rockets need an enforcer? Are they not tough? Are they getting beat up every game? Are Deke's elbows not enough? Do other teams bully the Rockets on the boards? Are other teams scoring in the paint? Would Stackhouse fight every player that fouls Yao? Didn't we have Oakly 2 years ago...and did that help in any way? So really DaDa, you're cool and all, but you're always so vocal and usually the first person to:

[​IMG]
    :p

17. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

sssss ouch!

18. milkyecho

milkyecho Member

So if Stackhouse is the enforcer, i guess that makes Terry just a nut-puncher?

19. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

LOL, I totally forgot about that.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"Scuffled?" You are being very kind to Snyder. Stack beat the snot out of him.