1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Square-Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 28, 2008.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://kotaku.com/5043307/square-enix-plans-to-take-over-tecmo (don't like Kotaku, but they're the only one with the story so far)
    Seems like a weird move, but I guess Tecmo's recent struggles means that Square-Enix could get some nice IPs for cheap as well as give them the opportunity to offer something different than just RPGs.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tecmo Bowl is going to suck now.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's all I could think of when I saw the name Tecmo. LOL! :D Did they or have they even made any other game titles? I mean I am sure they have, I probably just didn't know they were behind them.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Team Ninja is probably their best known development team. They made the Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden games. That team has had some issues though (including the head of the studio, probably the best known person at Tecmo, quiting/getting fired due to disagreements with management IIRC), which has probably had some affect on Tecmo's recent struggles. Tecmo also has a few other IPs like Rygar and Fatal Frame, although those aren't too well-known.

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NSNztUQvhJs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NSNztUQvhJs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Some of the best NES music ever!

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Underrated Tecmo title I think. Not on Tecmo Bowl level but I used to play the HECK out this game

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And fittingly...
    [​IMG]
    :)

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Final Tecmo Bowl XXIII

where all you see is CGI cut scenes where the dudes look like Japanese women

8. tstew

tstew Member

9. tinman

Supporting Member

here's the embedded video
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PBvOxicz-0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PBvOxicz-0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is when Tecmo was strong.

10. Dei

Dei Member

When will we start seeing jiggly t*** on Final Fantasy?

11. tinman

Supporting Member

When will we see a FINAL Final Fantasy?

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

The first was supposed to be Square's final game, but it was a hit and saved the company :cool:

13. tinman

Supporting Member

go on youtube and search for TECMO,
    its pretty much all Tecmo bowl videos

shows that the old school games are still the best and are in our hearts

not that bs crap like final fantasy xiii

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I can only dream. I wish someone put an end to all these lame RPG's but they won't because its more profitable to please those people than it is to please the ones who want to play a few good games for years. Why not just have endless sequels to a title, with cinemas that last forever, and a sucky scroll and click gameplay system.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - a few good games like Madden 02, 03, 04, 05...etc..etc...etc.

DD

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Unfortunately, sports games have to be updated yearly for changes in rosters, player signature styles, etc. but that wasn't what my post was about. It was mostly just a display of my hate for RPGs. :eek:

:D

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I used to play the NES version of this game a lot.

Interestingly, one of my two favorite games ever is made by Tecmo and the other by Square. Captain Tsubasa 2 for the NES and Chrono Trigger for the SNES.

18. Fatty FatBastard

This is not a joke. I played this game, team for team during the 95 playoffs. I made it to where every team won or lost the same as they did in the actual series. Two points..

John Turner sucked.

Orlando was hard as hell to get to win games.

What can I say? I was in college. Lots of spare time.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

they should reprise the tecmo bowl franchise. same side-to-side, overhead view of the field, more or less the same simplicity and ease of play, and updated graphics. would be awesome. i realize madden has the nfl market covered, but i bet it would sell well enough.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one that hated RPGs. I can't stand them. Well, I don't have the patience. Theres no time to play a game for 3 years and only be halfway through. No thanks. Give me the stupid shooting games and sports games.