1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big Shot Bob, Oct 30, 2007.

1. NUMBER1HR

NUMBER1HR Member

I wish they could have a live feed from the Buffet. I would love to see the reactions of the workers! The funniest part is they are all going to stand outside the restaurant and listen to a "William Wallace" type speech to get motivated. They asked for "participants" to have war paint on. their face. These guys are hilarious.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hated Erin Hogan at first, but towards the end of my stay in Austin, I really dug him and Bucky. What happened?

3. Jayou

Jayou Member

These days I'm really bored listening to CP because all these old ****ing grandpas who talk too slow call in all the time now. Why can't the sports announcers be more like Walton and Johnson and tell callers to hurry up and get to the ****ing point!

As much as everyone here hates the Monsters of the Midday, I enjoy them because they have a loyal caller base that has a good rapport back and forth with Ted and John.

Charlie Pallilo REALLY needs a cohost to spice things up. Old ****ing grandpas are too comfortable with CP, and I can't take it anymore with them calling in.

4. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I haven't heard them talk about it at all this morning. Did something bad happen??

5. Poloshirtbandit

They talked about it all day yesterday. There are pics on the website.

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I agree , their show is pretty good . They let the callers have their say . They don't cut people off , I like that . The only thing I can say negative against them is that they sometimes drag a subject on too long . Besides that , I like the show .

The "Lightning Round" can be pretty cool sometimes . I was listening to 610 and they did something called "2 Minute Warning" , or something like that . Did they have that before 790 did ? I'm not sure , I quit listening to 610 about a year and a half ago . Just curious .

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I gave up music on the radio for sports radio because FM music sucks donkey balls. XM is OK when I'm in the company car but it's pretty genre' specific (bluesville, baby) and doesn't have the live prescence that fills the void human interaction.

I keep all three Houston radio stations on pre-set and any time there is a commercial or something boring, I'm on to the next channel.

Why can't Houston have a KGSR?
    (though when I'm in Austin, I have to be ready to avoid aaalllll their 3 minute commercial breaks too)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't listen to much FM, either. CD's and Sirius.

9. plee

plee Member

Granted everybody has their dislikes and likes, just be thankful we have a choice! In fact, multiple choices now...we are in a fairly big city with ONE newspaper, just image there was only 1 sports radio station. :eek:

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

610 pretty much dominated the scene when Charlie, John and Lance were still with them. And before that, 740 dominated the scene when everybody was there.

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

wrong.

john lopez is a waste of space. how in the world can you say they dont cut people off??? i've heard him interrupt callers several times repeating the same thing over and over and over.... lopez is a hack.

sure is cute when he has to mention how well he knows [insert huge sports star here] and how he has a better handle on every situation because he "talks to so-and-so all the time."

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

yeah john lopez sux donkey balls, he's down there with Rich Lord as radio guys that I think are incompetent.

13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

They're called opinions , everyone has one . You're not wrong for yours and neither am I . You like what you like and I like what I like . Its cool man .

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

well what i was replying to was your statement that they (read: lopez) let's the callers "have their say. they dont cut people off." that's wrong. lopez is notorious for cutting off or interrupting callers, especially when it's a heated argument and especially if the caller tries to disagree with him.

the lopez is never wrong! bow down before the lopez, the knower of all and friend to the stars!

15. Buck Turgidson

Not all opinions are equal. Not all opinions are correct. You are entitled to have an opinion, you are not entitled to having your opinon go unchallenged.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A solid opinion is that Kiva (in your signature) is freaking awesome and everyone should lend $25 or so to help finance small businesses in areas of the world where $25 means a ton.

17. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Ive taken the RM/MadMax approach to Sports Radio (not listening) in the mornings and it has done wonders for my IQ, and being in a better mood at work.

Morning drive is absolutely the worst - unbearable.....

Marc & Andre - Decent football chatter from time to time, but what the hell are they going to talk about in July? Training Camp? Analyze 2008 draft pics?

Davies & Roberts - Horrible combination. Davies is so unsure of himself, always poses those stupid questions. Roberts cuts off Davies over and over and over again, and is not very funny.

John & Lance - Sh!tty reception, Granato is a stupid goof, Lance coughs all the time (thanks RM for pointing this out ;) ), and when do they talk about sports? Its all about 2 girls 1 cup, Gilbert, or something other random. Awful.

I leave around 6pm so when I do listen to sports talk I can switch between CP (my favorite) and Adam Wex/Danny V. - like those guys too.

18. Buck Turgidson

I've already gotten my first loans repaid...the 2 field partner groups I've used, in Paraguay & Ukraine, have a default rate of under 2% for over 1400 loans (~750K lent). It is indeed a freaking awesome organization. [/hijack]

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Thats true . Its all good . :cool:

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

My typical commute listening to Houston sports radio morning:

610: Andre and Mark talk football, football, and more football. John McClain pipes in with... more football. Heck, Laura Reynolds does the traffic... and then talks about yet more football. Then, for good measure, Tom Penders comes on and discusses even more football. Oh, wait, here comes Daryl Morey. Oh, he's talking football, too. "Let me tell you about my good friends at Gulf Coast Wind--"

/changes channel

790: BRAD DAVIES IS TALKING LOUD AND POSING QUESTIONS AGAIN. Oh, wait, here comes Craig Roberts, sort of, with a one-sentence reply. AND NOW BRAD DAVIES IS UNSURE ABOUT SOMETHING AND APOLOGIZING FOR NOT KNOWING THE ANSWER. Craig talks over Davies and says something stupid. Someone calls in with a comment that Davies doesn't agree with. DAVIES CUTS OFF CALLER AND ENGAGES IN TYPICAL "I'M RIGHT BECAUSE I'M LOUDER THAN YOU" ARGUMENT. Abrupt cut to commercial.

/changes channel

1560: Unintelligible dialogue. Is that Lance talking? No, wait, is he laughing? Straining to hear conversation, but it doesn't sound like sports. Signal gets better. Sudden realization that they're talking about something to do with midgets and microwaves.

/changes channel

610: Middle of the traffic report. Mark and Andre come back on, and they make a feeble attempt to talk about another sport besides football, but their embarrassing lack of knowledge shows. Ah, mention of the Vanderbaby! Aaaaaaaaand, they're back to football again.

/changes channel

790: Still on commercial? WTF?

/changes channel

1560: Is this talk about Tom Brady I hear? Oh, wait, they're discussing his sexual exploits. Ugh.

/changes channel to XM music or iPhone playlist