1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Radio: rocket talks vs texans talk

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tmac2k8, Dec 19, 2008.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I was just wondering out of everyone who listens to sports radio feels like the Rockets do not get nearly as much attention as they should? 80% of the time it is about Texans, I can understand Mon/Tue being primarily texans talk but after that especially after a big win for the Rockets or a key game, I wish there would be more rockets talk.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Truthfully the Texans are much more popular than the Rockets

3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I don't doubt that, you would just think that a team that has been around since 1971 and has given this city the only 2 major sports championships would get a little more attention.

4. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I agree. I get sick of hearing about the Texans. That's ALL 610's morning show talks about.

5. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

97.5 espn, the calvin murphy show. the rockets dominate the conversation... fine with me :D

6. msn

msn Member

They try, but seriously. Maybe in January 610 can persuade Gene and Jim to do the morning show for a few months? Then they can hire Gene Elston and Dwayne Staats to take over in the summer!!!

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As of today, the Texans are a much more exciting team than the Rockets...I dont know, injuries and lack of team chemistry are really making the Rockets a little bit more frustrating to handle. We beat Denver one night, lose to Memphis another night. Very inconsistent.

Id much rather read news about the Texans than the Rockets right now.

8. msn

msn Member

My, how a four-game winning streak changes things. Immediately following Rosencopter, the Texans were hard to talk about! At least without using four-letter words!

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The Texans will dominate the airwaves due to the fact this is a football town.

Astros talk will always suffer b/c baseball minus the off season (we are not really participating this year btw) baseball is not as good of radio although if they make another run the team will get some play or if Berkman came on everyday :D

There is lots of Rocket talk but until this group has playoff success and the Texans continue to improve I don't see that trend changing.

I love all three teams but as of this second I really think the Texans are about to take over as by far and away the most popular team in this area just like the Oilers were

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Houston is a football town.

If you're just now figuring this out. well. ouch.

11. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

1560 the game talks plenty of rockets.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

couldn't disagree more. and during the season there is tons of astros talk. i'd say there's more astros talk during baseball season than rockets talk during basketball season on sports radio in this town.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How much Boston Celtic talk do you think was going on in the New Enlgand area before last season? And that's a team that has been around much longer, and had won 16 championships.

Its simply reflecting the growing trend... unless your team is a bonafied NBA contender (which the Rockets haven't proved yet), the NBA gets dwarfed by the NFL and MLB in any market that has all three.

14. cdastros

cdastros Member

1560 the game has rocket specific shows, and has our own clutch on it.

15. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I listen when i'm on the way to work and it's John and lance, alot of what they talk about is not sports related at all.

16. Poloshirtbandit

Nuno at 11 talks quite a bit about the Rockets then they have a show on Tuesday evenings.

17. Splash

Splash Member

This is football country. If you want Rockets dominated talk, you'd have to wait till May.

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

The fact is, basketball is the third most popular sport in the USA. In Houston, the weight is shifted even more in favor of football. No surprise the Texans get the most talk time on the airwaves. Even though the team is the third best(arguably) out of the three Houston area teams.

The Rockets are easily the best team in Houston, but are still third behind the Texans and Astros when it comes to coverage.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Right now, the best place for Rockets talk on the radio is Adam Clanton on AM610. He won't disappoint you. The early guys (Marc and Andre) are just bad and don't know much. Unfortunately, the #1 guy on the radio for intelligent Rockets discussion, Matt Jackson, is stuck in the afternoons with Rich Lord.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Jackson talks about the Rockets a lot. It's great