1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. HipHopSince1981

Link

whoa

The Knicks offered Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and a first-round draft pick to the Nuggets in exchange for Carmelo Anthony but were turned down, ESPN 1050 Radio reports.

The Knicks are strongly considered to be a destination for Anthony, a free agent to be, now that the Nets have called off talks that also involved the Pistons.

Anthony did not attend Nuggets shootaround Friday but coach George Karl said he expects the All-Star to play against the Rockets.

Wednesday, Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov pulled his team from talks with the Nuggets, saying they had become too expensive. The Nets would have parted with up to eight players and up to three first-round picks if the deal had been completed.

The Knicks said they would not rush into talks after learning of the Nets' withdrawal but team president Donnie Walsh said he would talk to the Nuggets on Thursday.

"I'm not going to comment on what the owner of the Nets said," Walsh told The Post on Wednesday night. "And I don't know what Denver wants to do. I'm sure tomorrow we'll find out."

The first-round pick the Knicks would deal has not been acquired by them yet, the report says. Rumors have them sending Anthony Randolph to the Timberwolves for a first-round pick if need be.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...y_turned_TZulwtYJI1WIcLgTm8ywyK#ixzz1BiYZ0QEx

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yeah? They should outright refuse to ever deal with the Knicks the way Anthony is outright refusing them to deal with anyone else.

3. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

The writing is so very clear on the wall. It makes me sad.

I can't seem to post a pic from my iPhone (anyone know how?) but I'm at the Rox / Magic game and they have a sign at the team shops and kiosks saying, "all Yao Ming apparel 25% off".

The worst feeling for me is that, on the one hand, I get that his contract is very attractive and could be used in a trade for an important purpose, and I support taking the opportunity if it arises. On the other hand, I am very sad to see his career possibly end like this. On the other hand (my third hand, not the first one - I'm polydexterious or something), maybe his career isn't over, and how much would it suck to watch him have an Illgauskus-like (or Dikembe-like for that matter) long career as a back up in someone else's jersey. That said, whether or not we do end up trading him, I hope nothing more than to see him have just that kind of long resurgence.

So many conflicting feelings.

1 person likes this.
  4. mario713

mario713 Rookie

nooo!!!!!!!

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Whats pathetic is a posters that wants to penalize organizations who go all out to win vs countings beans and fancy formulas. Where was this outlash when pierce was talking about being a great player on sorry teams? Where was the franchise tag when Kobe was playing with chris mihm,kwame brown,and smush parker? In fact, where were these great ideas when barkley,dream,and clyde were playing together? Just face it, the rockets are irrelevant outside houston. If houston had a star player, players would want to come to houston. If they had a gm who take big risks, then maybe he could get that star player. The fact yao is still collecting checks is a testament about why this organization hasnt won jack in so long.

6. nathan8

nathan8 Member

To really put this as kind as i can, we need to make significant roster moves before the feb 24 deadline and im talking big moves. How about Morey follows through and cashes in all our assests to lure a star to houston. Ive read so many forums that state players like budinger (offensive force yet dismal on D) jordan hill (hot n cold) and C.lee are too good to let go for a melo rental or for that matter a package and a step closer to landing stardom and if we package battier and yaos expiring contracts with a bunch of prospects in j.hill and bud comon, that has done deal written all over it. Im a frustrated fan and at times find it hard to enjoy the brand of bball were playing today. answers guys?

7. sw847

sw847 Member

hey i understand what you are coming at and is in full support of trading for melo. The problem I see with your strategy is this and a question for all posters:
    WHY WOULD ANY STAR PLAYER WANT TO COME TO THE ROX?

Couple of things heres; 1st of all, houston has no chance of winning anything this year, especially if we trade away our young assets/role players/expirings for a star player.

2nd with a star player, I would presume we make the playoffs this year as the 6-8th seed and most likely see another 1st round exit. In other words, no chance at a high draft, with new cba coming in....probably won't be getting significantly better anytime soon.

3rd, without Yao, there really is not 'marketing' aspect about the rox anymore.

So if you were Melo, would you want to sign with houston? if it is only a 1/2 season rental, where does that leave us? even worse next season with a low draft pick. ALthough it does leave us with cap space, but who is other there to really sign and turn this franchise around?

to be honest, i am sick and tired of all these short term solutions. I am in full support of developing our young guys this year (in other words, tank, or at least see how far our young 'talent' can take us). Play a starting 5 of hill, pat, bud, lee, twill. I really don't care if we loose or not, at least have a full picture of how good these guys 'really' are. or if they turn out to be crap, we got a good chance for a high draft pic.

This team is just not gonna cut it. Our assets are depreciating by the minute. No superstar/all star would want to come to a team that has no hope of winning anything in the foreseeable future that does not have an established star already. No martin is not one. He is a 2nd fiddle type player that can give up points. thats all. Nothing else.

Ok I have b****ed on for too long, Just sick and tired of us loosing with no hope what so ever to turn it around. At least last year, the team gave us a false hope that we can be really good with a hard playing supporting cast centered around martin and yao coming back. This year, i really don't have anything to look forward to. :(

8. nathan8

nathan8 Member

That is an extremely valid point. As a matter of fact all 3 solutions are realistic. Now another case that you mentioned players like Terrence! Literally hes a poor mans lebron james. He has incredible passing ability for a guy his size a 6'6'', his slashing ability is way above ave and has anybody taken notice of his dunking ability? Oh and guess what HE PLAYS D! one of the fewer rockets that do. Im a big fan of starting lowry over AB because having him and kmart start at the 1 and 2 spots means SCORING and SCORING ONLY! Lowry puts defense and hustle first and has the potential to post consecutive 20-10 games. Dont get me wrong, going into this season i had high hopes for our PG AB but you know things didnt really turn out did they? and players like lowry have stepped up and proven to us that he deserves the starting 1 spot.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Do I detect some Masta Ace?

10. HipHopSince1981

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Indy gets robbed. Yao = dopne and washedup and his 17 million contract is still not worth Granger a budding superstar. Plus the knicks 1st is not gonna be lottery this season.

12. Happii

Happii Member

Why would Indy accept this trade, really?

13. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I WANT A TRADE NOW!!!!

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Come on Daryl. Give us something to cheer about, or something to look forward to.

15. rocketsmetalspd

Things will not get done till the trading deadline. That day I will take a day off from work and will here Clutchfans to get all the news about trades the Rockets will do that day. I can't wait.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

FIXED! :grin:

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am starting to think that we might not have anything to cheer about for the rest of the season. I'm in agony and looking for a ray of hope.

I get the feeling Daryl is willing to wait this out and keep everything level until a star is available again(2012). I understand the logic, if he does this, but it's a HUGE risk considering the landscape of the NBA.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

2012? Man if this is the case he should BLOW THIS TEAM UP, He can't keep it the way it is! NO WAY!

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey always waits until the last minute, with the exception of your occasional Terrence Williams-type deal.

So, more than three weeks of this left.

20. packet

packet Member

I think the Rockets are waiting for a All-Start to be born before going after him. The deals comes and goes but our Rockets stay the course ... next year.