1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Why are we arguing...we have already explained something that probably 90 percent of the people on this board know....

Its like trying to argue with someone that doesnt beleive in water. You can only say so much then just let them believe whatever they want.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You are wrong.

You are right.

Your math is backwards. You are subtracting from a number that is already way above the salary cap. For instance, if you are $20 million over the salary cap, subtracting $23 million doesn't give you $23 million in cap room. It gives you $3 million in cap room.

Please believe me, you are wrong.

It's okay. We'll still like you.

But you're wrong.

Very, very wrong.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I wish we still had that $20 million or so cap room that McGrady's contract expired with from last season.

DD

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Absolutely! Why with that much cap room they could have signed V-Span, Badiane AND the ghost of Wilt Chamberlain...

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You are so bad, man! :grin:

You're turning into Carl Herrera.

6. DaDakota

Why don't we just combine all our trade exceptions with Yao's contract and get a superstar, that is what Morey should be doing.

DD

#1206 DaDakota, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We will combine them all and Yao and trade for Wade, Bosh, and Lebron!

8. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

soooooo are the rockets still keeping this a realistic option?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I say yes. If I had to guess right now its actually a real possibility that Yao Ming might once again be teaming up with.........DING DING DING.... Tracy McGrady in Detroit.

Kinda funny I know right?

Look, Morey being involved in the Melo dealings is not just about Melo. There are three other teams involved in this trade with young talent Morey has been eyeing as a consultation in being a bridge in the deal.

-Those prizes being Favors, Monroe, or possibly Nene.

-With Detroit being involved in the trade talks sending Rip to New Jersey in exchange for Murphy, I could see Morey facilitating the trade even more by taking on Teshaun Prince, possibly a bad contract, and Greg Monroe for Yao Ming's contract and a young cheap player.

-Three team trades are complex enough as it is, much less four team trades, but I wouldnt be surprised if Morey at least makes a move like this to gain another asset and make use of Yao's contract.

10. dobro1229

-Also, Prince >>> Battier.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Not so sure about that. Prince's contract is expiring, so other than the insurance money on Yao's contract, that trade doesn't do much for Detroit. And while I agree that the Pistons could use the cash, they're about to be sold, so the current owners know that they're about to get a ton of money for their franchise.

12. dobro1229

-Does make a ton of sense and I forgot about the franchise being sold, but the point of the matter is Morey getting involved in the Melo deal is to somehow pry away a player such as Monroe, Favors, or Nene in the deal.

If that meant taking on Prince in the matter I would be all for it. Upgrade from Battier, and good solid vet. To take on Monroe though I am realistic that they will want the Rockets to take on another bad contract in the matter to make it worthwhile.

Im also not entirely sure that the Nuggets wouldn't be open to involving either Nene or Favors to Houston in the deal for something in return from Houston.

Of course, its way too complex of a trade for me to hash out financially so someone else can work out scenarios on the trade machine if they want.

Just makes sense to me that thats the angle Morey is working in the Melo talks and Yao's contract.

13. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

dont the nuggests want favors in the trade?

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No way the Nuggets give up Favors to the Rockets. Favors is the main piece they're getting for Melo. They want to rebuild around him.

I'd love the Rockets to get their hands on Nene (as per my prior trade idea).

My guess is that Morey is angling for Melo right now. Only when the Rockets are completely out of the running for Melo (which probably only happens when Melo commits to an extension with New Jersey) will Morey talk to Denver or other teams about other players in a Melo mega-trade.

15. dobro1229

-They want the combination of draft picks, expirings, and yes Favors. I just assume that Morey has been proposing different scenarios to these teams involved to involve one of these coveted players going back to the Rockets in order to facilitate the trade.

Im sure there are dozens of scenarios with dozens of players involved. But you never know who the Nuggets could want off of the Rockets in exchange for Favors. possibly Martin, Brooks, or Scola.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I wouldn't waste the brain cells trying to figure that out.

Because it's not happening. Favors will not be traded by Denver this year if he is acquired. Period.

17. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

HAHAHAHA... OMG, I seriously laughed my ass off aloud when I read this! :grin: :grin: :grin:

18. DaDakota

I believe Robbie was following my lead in sarcasm...

DD

19. dobro1229

So in theory/concept, you dont think its possible that Morey's second option in getting involved in these trade talks is to snag a coveted player in the trade talks???...

Yes i realize Favors is the centerpiece going to the Nuggets and a trade involving the Rockets/Nuggets/Nets/ Pistons and he would be nearly impossible to get out of the deal, but its just an example. Could be Nene, could be Monroe... could be someone nobody has thought of yet.

That is just the example I am using here to convey the fact that I believe Morey is involved in this trade to get a coveted player out of Yao Ming's contract and Melo coming to Houston being the longshot in the deal to get his foot in the door in trade talks.

20. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

definitely possible. you never know who morey is eyeing until the last minute.