1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

I hope he goes to Boston

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets need to try to get in on a trade and extend scenario this season.

Bev, ?
    Harden, Gordon
    Hayward, Ariza/?
    Dekker, Harrell, Wiltjer
    Capela, ?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not coming to Houston to play with Harden...

DD

amaru likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree. He is too good to be relegated to the whims of James. Utah is a great fit, and Boston makes sense If he did in fact want to go somewhere else.

More concerned with finding a defensive superstar to go with James. Or maybe we can develop that guy in house.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hayward is basically Ariza on younger legs with better playmaking. He's getting the max wherever he goes. A great fit would be on a contending team. Utah & Celtics won't offer him that.

6. DaDakota

He would be like Kevin Love here in Houston, he would have to change his game a ton to play with Harden, that is a lot to ask.

DD

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hayward is a great talent, but he is a bit redundant with Gordon, so he would only offer diminishing returns to the team, for a player of his caliber

As of now, the Rockets have a team that is 4th offensively and 19th defensively, so if they are going to take another step forward it is going to have to be by improving in one of these areas:

Offensive Ratings:
    Turnovers: 27th
    Drawing Free Throws: 20th

Defensive Ratings:
    Oppt eFG%: 20th
    Forcing TOs: 13th
    Defensive rebounding: 12th
    Giving Free throws: 16th

Hayward is fairly elite at taking care of the ball and drawing free throws, but I don't know how much impact that would have on our offense, since we are already very very good. How much different is Hayward from JJ Redick. He is younger, but JJ has crazy accuracy and fits the team well.

The two guys who would really fit the team's needs are George and Cousins, who will be free agents next offseason. Not sure you would pass up Hayward, if you could get him, for hopes of better fits. Wouldn't count out Paul or Griffin either. Both outstanding, and who knows what happens with the Clippers this offseason.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You don't know that. You aren't in his head. You don't know his motivations.

But, what we DO know, is that Gordon Hayward did sign an offer sheet with Charlotte to LEAVE Utah. Utah of course matched.

I think it is likely Hayward stays in Utah, but he will be a UFA and can now dictate where he wants to go. Last time, he wanted to leave.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Hmm, no wonder Bill Worrell praises Hayward a lot every time the Rockets play the Jazz.

10. DaDakota

I did not say he would not LEAVE Utah, I am saying he won't come to Houston - because he doesn't FIT with Harden's style.

DD

basketballholic likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

under coach Mchale, I'd agree with you. But this is a system that everyone can buy in to.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DaDakota logic

Love pushed for trade away from his draft team
    + Love resigned for 5yr max with new team
    + Love changed his game for Lebron
    + Love won a championship with Lebron
    ------------------------------------------------------
    = It's a lot to expect of Hayward to want to "be like Kevin Love"

I don't think Kevin Love is the example you were looking for.

Williamson, bobloblaw and topfive like this.
  13. DaDakota

Normally I would agree, but Hayward is more of a driver, than a spot shooter - I don't think Harden is that much of a draw for other MAX players.

DD

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Tobias Harris FTW

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hayward makes the Rockets better defensively. The Rockets are always on the look out for a two way playmaking SF. Ideally, Eric Gordon won't be on the floor at the same time as Harden, he seems to connect better with Bev anyway. Anyhow, Bev is still the best ballhandler on the team, so still need a secondary playmaker on the floor with Harden.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Which was Parsons when he had his best season as a Rocket before his ego took over.

topfive likes this.
  17. DaDakota

Not better than Ariza defensively.....I just don't think he fits with a Harden driven team - whereas guys here do.

Nor, do I believe he will even consider it because he needs the ball in his hands - just my op -

DD

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think he is. Underrated on the defensive end.

He's had the ball in his hands with the Jazz out of necessity. He's good, but not great as a playmaker, ie perfect secondary. The Jazz PGs have either been injured or busts. All these failed seasons in Utah, he'll understand his role, will want to win.

bobloblaw likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Paul George would be my target, 100 percent. Hayward is in Utah or Boston, guaranteed. Both teams are contenders in a couple years.

Cashmoney likes this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hayward would be great here, we would play him at the 2 with Trevor at the 3 i guess, and when Harden sits he would have the ball in his hands but playing the 3 with Pat and Gordon...pretty scary back court rotation if you ask me. I can still see him going to Boston though, just hope to be wrong.