1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: DeAndre Jordan eyeing Rockets - will come at discount if Clint Leaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Dec 20, 2017.

1. basketballholic

Not so fast there. I'm not so sure DJ's trade value is all that. He may even be a buyout candidate.

Anderson/Capela for Galinari. And DJ bought out to sign here?

Anderson to Utah, Favors/Jerebko to Clips, DJ here.

When players that are pending possible free agents make it clear they are leaving and where they want to go, they make it clear if they are traded to other teams, they aren't staying, that shrinks their trade market significantly.

The Cavs are the only team to express interest in DJ so far. They ain't got much to give. Clips ain't gonna want TT and Shump. Sorry. The Bucks? Why would the Bucks trade assets for DJ keying he's gonna walk? Lottery teams? No.

The trade market for DJ is thin. Rockets are the leader at the moment. But Cousins has yet to declare himself. And yes, Crispy is definitely pushing for DJ. Both a trade or buyout/signing are possible.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  2. basketballholic

I personally believe DJ might nullify Draymond's advantage as a small ball center. I'll take a DJ/Draymond matchup in the post every day. I think he forces Draymond to face up outside where you want him.

DJ is still elite defensively. Right there neck and neck with Gobert as best defensive 5's. And the idea that he would be willing to do a Dirk deal and leave us with flexibility to acquire Lebron in free agency...is very intriguing and may make him the ultimate get, even over DeMarcus.

Chanmarr likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. No way Clips buyout Jordan and they certainly aren't going to give him away. Rockets cannot give up both Ryno and Capela, us filler and picks if they want to compete THIS season.

4. basketballholic

Sure they can. Ryno isn't helping us. The question is can we trade him?

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If this trade happened, even though I like it, we would have 4 centers and 0 PFs.

DJ/Capela/Nene/Black
    ?/?

I'm good with acquiring DJ but it's not our most pressing issue.

34to11 and D-rock like this.
  6. basketballholic

Ummmmm, we will be able to get a pf at the deadline or off the waiver wire for a little bit of nothing.

As I told you before (and nobody believed me) Wiltjer is better than Anderson. We can't get Wiltjer back right now but there's other guys like Jarrod Uthoff that can give us more than Anderson does. They'll be available.

The real problem is getting a team to bite on Anderson. If he had stayed hot we might have been able to move him. He's gone into the typical pre-trade deadline funk that a lot of players go in to when they are on the trade block and they don't wanna be traded. Amazing how that happens.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Hehe they asked for Capela for taking a contract like anderson. Then morey would probably ask for more, and phone would get disconnected from salt lake.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

ZERO percent chance DJ is going to be bought out. C'mon.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. Trade for Noel instead of dreaming about DJ.

11. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Ya i dont think thats a possibility at all, but i do know they wont get a better offer then capela. So capela+anderson for dj makes sense if we find a 3rd team for ryno. Getting a competent replacemant at the 4 position would be our biggest obstacle. He doesent have to be a world beater though.

The thing is when ryno IS on, we are real hard to beat, but can we depend on him anymore?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:

The future of DeAndre Jordan

The biggest names on the trade market can dictate momentum, and so far, the sluggish pursuit of LA Clippers veteran DeAndre Jordan reflects the overall morass. Jordan, 29, can decline the player option on his $24.1 million contract for 2018-19, and most teams believe the All-Star center will be willing to re-sign with the team that trades for him -- as long as they're willing to pay him his long-term extension. So far, serious offers to Los Angeles have been slow to come. "He's a difference-maker, but I'm not sure anyone thinks he puts you over the top," one GM said.

Because so few elite teams, if any, play through the center position offensively, there's less of an urgency to exhaust trade assets on Jordan before seeing who else might join the trade market. Milwaukee has been determined to find a center, and Jordan tops the Bucks' list, but it's unclear if they have a package to eventually make the deal.

The Clippers aren't set on trading Jordan at all costs, because the idea of bringing back marginal draft picks with heavy protections and so-so talent in a trade is far too unappealing.

Two years ago this week, the Denver Nuggets fetched two first-round picks to send modestly talented center Timofey Mozgov to the Cleveland Cavaliers. It is unlikely that the Clippers will get that for their All-NBA center, largely because the dynamics of trading picks for players has changed.

Fewer picks are available in deals that don't include frontline starters, and several NBA executives believe the fallout from the 2013 Boston-Brooklyn trade has played a part in fostering that reluctance.

"No one wants to end up embarrassed like the Nets were," one Eastern Conference GM said.

Because there are so few teams with maximum salary-cap space this summer, Jordan's best option could still be re-signing with the Clippers -- and revisiting a trade again in the future.

Another Clipper with value, guard Lou Williams, is attractive because he's authoring the best offensive season of his career and holds an expiring contract. Bench rentals rarely render first-round picks anymore, but Williams will be a coveted commodity for a contender closer to the deadline.

Given how many draft picks the Clippers have missed on or dumped in trades, it is incumbent on the new front-office regime of Lawrence Frank and Michael Winger to nail these deals.​

Vivi likes this.
  13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

DJ has historically always sucked and underperformed against the warriors

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Not a chance LAC is going to agree to a buyout with DJ. It makes zero sense + they got Jerry West and removed personnel decision from Rivers.

Not a single example of Deandre having a good Warriors Game. If anything, I believe the clippers are the only team with a worst record vs warriors. I favor that matchup in paper too, But so far, not a single match to help us believe this.

DonKnock, malakas and s3ts like this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Boogie owns the warriors

beardsanity713 likes this.
  16. wesbound

wesbound Member

@basketballholic Why would the Jazz take Anderson's contract?

17. basketballholic

They never had enough shooters to space the floor.

18. basketballholic

Not sure they would. But they need shooting at the 4 big time. Johnson is expiring. Favors is expiring. And they don't attract free agents. Only 2/40 left after this season.

wesbound likes this.
  19. s3ts

s3ts Member

Stephen A was wrong, son.

We gonna get both Deandre AND Lebron, dethrone those dang warriors.