1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solomon: 'Enough is enough,' and Texans should fire Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Dec 6, 2010.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...stant-studesville-interim-coach?module=HP_cp2

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

3. Major

Major Member

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Are you quoting this from a prediction you made before the season started?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No.

I think this is an 11-5 team.
    Kubiak just ran it into the ground

Rocket River

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

as in the odds of them being mediocre are 11-5?

7. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Cheer up Texans fans, at least we are not The Broncos. :eek:

I mean you hire a rookie coach who gets rid of your two franchise players in Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshell, and ends up getting fired in less then two years!!!!!!

All I got to say is wow!

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

And then, apparently, as consolation you get Kubiak as your head coach!

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

In the past 2 playoffs alone, 3 teams with 9 wins and less have won EIGHT playoff games. ('08 Cardinals, '08 Eagles, '09 Jets)

The following year, all of them had an IMPROVED regular season record

IF the Texans were to make the playoffs, going off recent history I wouldnt automatically cast them as 1st round fodder.

For LATE in the season, I'll have to agree with your assessment there. If you still have chances at the playoffs with 4 remaining weeks, you go for it until its about sure you're eliminated.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im sure Denver will be thrilled about winning 8 games next season with boobiak as hc. Maybe we can trade him for Champ Bailey :grin:

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Can we get champ bailey now?

please?

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That can win the AFC West most seasons.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7327584.html

I had to read this line of quotes twice, since at first I was in the usual mode of expecting Pollard to be talking to the fans....but he was talking about and to his defensive teammates through the press.

Maybe others would read it differently, but I took from that an indication that a couple, maybe several, younger guys on D have halfway quit on their coaches and want someone new brought in.

Either way, I found the comments very interesting.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I read the same thing this morning and thought the very same thing....I don't think there's another way to read it. Pollard is clearly defending Kubiak and Bush against complaints from teammates. Suggesting that change in coaching and management will mean change in personnel.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really? I read it as the opposite.

Seems to me he is saying that some young guys who have never played for any other staff (or experienced a coaching change) are getting too comfortable. Classic 'big fish in a small pond syndrome' perhaps?

It sounds like he's telling them that it's not good to get too comfortable with the same coaching staff because a new staff might not share the old staff's opinion of you and you could be gone.

IF that's what he's saying, I totally agree. Guys who were drafted here and have never played for anyone other than Kubiak might be in for a rude awakening if someone else is brought in. The new coach might actually take them to task for their crappy play instead of sticking with them no matter what........

That's how I read it anyway. Read it again and see if you agree.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

From what I gathered, it sounded like Pollard wants the coaches to stay, while the young guys want change, but Pollard seems to be cautioning them away from that with the whole "devil you know vs. devil you don't know" philosophy that he probably learned from his experience in KC. He seems to think the young guys don't understand that if they bring in a new coach, things will change more than they would probably like.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is how i read it, as well.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I didn't mention it, but I noticed that he wasn't actually defending Kubiak or Bush at all. He blunted the blame they should take (they aren't the ones playing), but he didn't come across the line and say that he wanted them to stay, that they were doing the right things, that he loved playing for them....any endorsement.

He may only be concerned about the coaches because of his own job security.

There are a couple lines that suggest it's more than that.
    "If you want change, don't buy in"
    "I don't think some of the guys understand that"

It may not mean that guys are openly hoping for Bush/Gibbs to get canned, but it does suggest there are some that wouldn't mind seeing it happen or think they might enjoy more success with better coaches. Pollard is warning them to be careful for what they wish for.

My guess is we're talking about Jackson, Quin, McCain, Nolan.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It is interesting to see Pollard blaming the players lack of execution and defending the coaching staff.

It isn't unheard of for him to take the blame head-on, but for him to actively say he wants the coaching staff to stay is kind of odd.

I figured almost everyone on D would be fairly mum about defending and/or attacking the coaches.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Damn. That's a pretty crushing article imo. That basically tells us that some players on this team aren't interested in playing hard to help Kubiak keep his job and have openly discussed wanting a new regime. Pollard's only defense of Kubiak is that a new coach probably means a lot of players lose their jobs.

He doesn't say "A new coach might mean we are a bad team" or a "This staff has gotten us this far it's on us" etc. he says "If they get rid of this guy we might be out of here too."