1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Solomon: 'Enough is enough,' and Texans should fire Kubiak

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Uprising, Dec 6, 2010.

1. msn

msn Member

haha repped!

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I feel like I brought this up during the off season and was relentlessly bashed for it and thrown into the REEKtown category.......so, what do y'al have to say now?

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If you look back on the draft results, it is so depressing.. We passed on Darelle Revis, and Patrick Willis in 07.. Then in 08 we missed Chris Johnson by 2 picks..

4. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Obvious stuff, though the stats about being down two TDs is pretty alarming. The man had five seasons and even Kubiak supporters should know someone with his track record gets the boot sooner rather than later.

I do think he shouldn't fired till the off-season but if he's back next year, then it's telling of what the ownership is.

5. msn

msn Member

mea culpa. I do hope I wasn't one who "bashed you into REEKtown category", but I bet I disagreed with you at the time. Crow for me, although I still wouldn't lump this regime into a category as bad as, say, the C&C Idiot Factory (to borrow Hillboy's term for them) even in terms of drafting and talent evaluation.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

*quietly stands here waiting*

7. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

So who are the guys inline for the new head coaching job.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm resigned to the fact that he's coming back, but taking comfort in that he does bring things to the table. His offense and his evaluation of offensive talent have been very good (aside from keeping the ball in the hands of team butterfingers last season).

My best case scenario remains a liquidation of Rick Smith (as a message to Kubiak) and the defensive staff, with a high profile President/GM (a la Cleveland with Holmgren) being installed in advance of the draft. The GM hires the new D coordinator, who brings in their group. Kubiak is relegated to offense.

If Kubiak doesn't like it, he can accept a buyout and leave. If the team is still misfiring, Kubiak gets replaced.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is probably the best realistic scenario.

Although I'm afraid that if we somehow fall assbackwards into the playoffs, that won't happen.

It's looking like Frank Bush is out unless the Texans D turns it on hardcore the final 4 games into a playoff push.

Rick Smith is probably out if we finish under .500

Kubiak can probably only get fired if we lose out.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

when they picked a db in the first round on tackling ability, anyone could see that as a disaster

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

*coughs* Hillboy's? *coughs agains*

12. msn

msn Member

was that you who coined that? ancient history; my bad!

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Is there even going to be an NFL season next year?

14. foo82

foo82 Member

Whats the use of making the playoffs? The way the Texans are playing now, it would just be a fluke if we did make the playoffs. Anyways, they would just lose right away, and we'll be right back to the offseason. What I want is at the very least be a serious contender on the verge of being an elite team. I want a 10-6, 11-5, 12-4 team. Not a, 7-9 8-8, 9-7. I don't care if we can make it to the playoff with that lousy record.

15. Hey Now!

Yep. And I think it's best case scenario, too. I think too much of the "Fire Kubiak!" rhetoric is tied to the idea he'd be replaced by a big name head coach. But I just don't see that happening. No way you pay Kubiak *and* a Cowher-like guy, especially if there's a lockout. That’s, easily, $11-13M you’re paying to head coaches alone.

I know there are A LOT of problems with this team, and Kubiak is by no means absolved from any of them - but this team isn't a total, 2-14 disaster. And I think you could absolutely sell offensive continuity to your fan base if you strip personnel power from Kubiak and hire a non-pipeline defensive coordinator.

Because it wound up being a one-year rental that went ka-boom in our faces, the '93 hiring of Buddy Ryan isn't always viewed favorably here - but I think it's a perfect corollary. The R&S was built around certain offensive personnel and it was, by and large, effective. While that Oiler defense was, by no means, the disaster this Texan defense is, Ryan most assuredly made it infinitely better; championship-level better. It was the absolute right idea mixed with a volatile personality.

If Marv Lewis is axed in Cincinnati, I would absolutely go after him. Give it a year. If they can’t fix it, wipe ‘em all out and THEN go after big name head coach du jour.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

even if we have 2 shutouts in the last 4 games he should be gone

he shud be out regardless of how they finish with the exception of making the playoffs

i disagree....its playoffs or bust. Kub is NOT a motivator...he's a good friend to the players...they dont need a friend...they need to be held accountable and they need a guy who is gonna come in and tighten this ***** up

17. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I won't be surprised if a new CBA is signed by March.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think the only reason anyone might say we'd finish 9-7 is because of the history behind a 4-game win streak with Kubiak. I think the chances of that are remote.

I'd say it's a coinflip whether we finish 8-8 or 7-9.
    5% chance of 6-10,
    2% 5-11 or 9-7

Ravens are simply a better team than us.
    Denver's not that different than us (streaky but explosive offense, poor D)
    Tennessee looks bad right now, but rivals are rivals
    Jags all of a sudden might have something to play for Jan 2.

Gibbs and everyone else coaching D is gone unless there's a miraculous turnaround, we get 9-7 AND make the playoffs.

Rick Smith should join if they finish 7-9.

Kubiak may be finished if it's 6 wins or less, including a bad home loss, and fans show up in Boo Bird costumes for the home finale.

19. Hey Now!

Why would a playoff appearence - even a fluke playoff appearence - be in any way considered bad? Were Jet fans turned off by the way their team made the playoffs last year?

The Texans held 4Q leads against the 9-2 Jets and 8-4 Eagles; they beat first place Kansas City and were a play away from taking first place Jacksonville to OT. It's highly unlikely they'd win a playoff game; but, with this offense, why would you not want to take your chances? You're telling me 8-8 and a playoff game is somehow worse than 8-8 and no playoff game?

That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It has to do with Kubiak. If they do make the playoffs, he is likely still here. Regardless of how this season ends, he needs to be gone. No playoff appearance would almost ensure that, I think that is why people do not want to be there this year. I still feel that they are a playoff team in terms of talent, but they need a new coach to do it. We are looking to the future.