1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Mike D'Antoni huh, gotta embrace it!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jun 1, 2016.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm on team DD

Mike 'Anthony is a significant upgrade over two of the worst coaches to ever grace the NBA in McFail and BJ Brewerstuff.

I guess we have turned the corner?

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I definitely think there is a high upside, but from a probability standpoint, I think there were other better choices.

The high upside part could actually explain why Morey would be behind the hire. Morey is all about championships, and will take high risk if there is a high reward. Morey would rather go 30-52 for 5 years if he could win a championship.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Would have been great for the Thunder to have advanced and won the championship. Extra motivation for Harden. Now he is just plain content with where he is.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So apparently Le$ is the real problem with the Rockets, but this direction the team is taking, which is 99% Les, is totally fine with DD?

I will admit that DAntoni is a clear upgrade from McHale and JBB from a pure X's and O's perspective. However the move signifies more than just a change in coaching .... That's where i have the biggest problem with what Les is doing or not doing with this team.

It's a safe move to maintain where you are(which isn't saying much despite the conjecture they try to sell to the media and to us which treats the fans like morons), and it makes a statement that we have no problem with the team chemistry and lack of defensive/hard working culture this team does not have the least bit.

The Rockets might win 5 more games with DAntoni as opposed to JBB, but that's not saying much IMO. This teams needs more than just a couple more wins a season.... It needs a change in culture and needs to embrace change (and no shooting as many 3's as you can isn't revolutionary... It's quite the opposite now).

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, it's not revolutionary - however it's also indisputably the best way to be successful in the NBA.

The D'Antoni hire sucks - don't get me wrong, but just the "hey let's zag while everyone else is zigging for the sake of it" approach doesn't work. Three's are part of the game and if you're not goign to use them, somebody else will, and beat you, including but not limited to the Defending champs and their historic run.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I damn near passed out when I saw DD advising people to not b**** and moan about the Rockets. That makes up at least 90,000 of his posts!

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nah you don't "gotta embrace it". If you think something is a terrible idea and its out of your control, you don't "gotta embrace it". You just have to deal with it.

DD has been on both sides of this hire so excuse me if I don't think there's much credibility to this thread. How it has 4 stars is quite beyond me.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Warriors have the best defense in the league. What they do on offense is allowed because they have two of the best shooters of all time. Their D is really what allows them to shoot crazy shots because they actually get back on D, switch defenders with crisp percision and play on a string as a team on that end. That's what's revolutionary about them not that they just jack up shots and they actually go in.

I'm not saying the Rockets should not shoot 3's but they hardly have the roster to play DAntonis style and score enough to out score the elite of the elite. The DAntoni hire just screams delusion... And Harden is no Nash. Nash moved the ball super quick and was a master at getting into the offense ASAP. Harden will not do that to say the least.

But we don't need to break down every reason why DAntoni won't work out and how we will waste another couple years of Hardens prime. The point is they didn't have to change that much about the system to be success and they don't need to zig when everyone else is zagging.

What they needed was a clear culture change and needed to make a statement that what was put on the court last year was an embarrassment and we respect or fans enough to show them it was unacceptable and we aren't just going to talk about trying harder and defending but we are going to shut up and show you. Hiring DAntoni and TALKING about defense to me is a slap in the face to the very intelligent and patient fans on the Rockets who deserve better.

#28 dobro1229, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not a believer in D'Antoni, but I'm not much caring right now anyway. I'm pretty much checked out. Morey will have to do something significant with the roster for me to give two ****s about this team. (Ironically, I don't expect it'll impact how much I'll come and post about the team though.)

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like this hire. I wanted a coach that has had some success and knows what they are doing at least on one side of the court. I preferred van gundy, but I'm ok with Pringles. I think he will at least provide some structure on offense. That will go a long way for this team.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, it would help if we actually stocked our roster with decent three point shooters...which is something we don't have.

WRT Pringles, nothing to do now but hope he is okay. Very disappointed but willing to give him a chance as this is who Les wanted.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Bob Sura faints.

1 person likes this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wonder if D'Antoni can help provide good input to Morey on guys who can actually shoot 3 pointers?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

obviously rick would want rick guys

like tru warier

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is more a matter of what choice do we have - rather than liking it. I am ok with it, not thrilled, but the thing is, that Mike, Les and Daryl all want to play this style - so as a Rocket fan, what choice do we have but to say, well, ok, let's see how it goes?

Might as well sit back and hope for the best can't be as bad as last year, right, RIGHT?

DD

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We were top 5 in offense last year:rolleyes:

17. bmd

bmd Member

No, we were 8th.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

4th in ppg

19. juanito713

juanito713 Member

He wasn't even my first choice, but he's the coach we have now. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at first and be supportive.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is it exactly - give em a chance, and hold them accountable -- this is Les, and DM's choice, this is the guy they wanted.

So, let's see how they did.

DD