1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Silverleaf Resorts [scam]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Indaface, May 8, 2013.

1. Indaface

Indaface Member

Ok so I filled out one of those cards at the Astros game a couple of weeks ago (same people as the Rockets games where you get a free towel) and they called me today claiming some bs how I'm eligible for a grand prize.

Anyway its a 90 minute presentation and they say that by listening to the presentation you win a prize.

Anyway I know this is one of those timeshare scams, but just wondering has anyone ever gone to just listen to the presentation and what do they give?

No chance would I shell out money for any timeshares but I figure I might make the drive there just in case and if there's nothing to win (and it's just a scam) I'll just hang out with my wife in Galveston for the night.

Any clutchfans been through this? It's Silverleaf Resorts that's putting on this show.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I filled one out at a Rockets game along with a friend and we both received calls and letters saying we won a car, cruise, or 50k in cash whichever we chose. It was that thing where you spin the wheel to win something and fill out a form. They wouldn't stop calling for a while even though ignored their calls. Suddenly one day I had enough and answered and let them hear it loud that I wasn't interested. Beware when filling out any stuff like that at games guys.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Yep, well known timeshare scam company. They'll put you through hell selling their timeshares, and even if you endure and persevere long enough to get the free cruise or whatever it is they're offering, you'll pay so much extra in taxes and what not that you'd have been better off just buying the cruise on your own.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

I won a free boat when I went to one of these presentations.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

IIRC, don't you have to actually 'win' the prize AT the presentation?

7. Classic

Classic Member

My mother-in-law has a timeshare through these people. We go every year to at least one of them. They're nothing special. At all.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I got a $100 VISA card automatically when the Missus and I went to listen to their 90-minute thing. We also received vouchers for the cruise tickets, but never used them. :cool: They're not a scam. They will just be pushy sales people. If you can endure a "90-minute presentation" (which will literally turn into a "whole-morning presentation", do it.

It will say that they will ask you to go to their place under the signature. You just failed to read that BEFORE you signed on the dotted line, sir. It's NOT a scam.

9. Indaface

Indaface Member

That's all I needed to know, as long as they don't ask for any credit card info I figure I might as well go and listen to some BS for 90 minutes and see what happens.

10. SwoLy-D

^ No, they will not ask you for that. If they have no intentions of using your credit card for anything, or they don't disclose that they will authorize an amount (check for credit), never give your credit card number out. :eek: Just make sure you and the missus have a game plan BEFORE you go in there and be TOGETHER in your decision (to buy or NOT to buy the timeshare)... and enjoy your cruise or new Kindle Fire, sir.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I had a coworker who planned to go to a timeshare presentation a few weeks ago just to get all the free stuff they give out. She said she had no interest in a time share at all and that she knew what it would be like.

That following Monday I asked her what all she got. She told me, but then said that she bought a timeshare too. I laughed. She was like, "No, this is actually a good deal." Then I stopped laughing because I felt sorry for her.

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

Lol well the only way they'll convince me to get a timeshare is to have a blonde with some DD's asking me to sign the papers while she's doing things to me under the table. I'm way too much of a cheapass to go for it. I guess it's part of my cheap assness to see if this was even worth the drive down to galveston for some free stuff.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My friend used to work at those things. basically if you attend, they wont let you leave without pushing everything they've got onto you. Really pushy sales people, **** that you dont want or need, 90 minutes minimal visit. Sounds like a bad time. I "won" once, my friend told me don't go unless I wanted to commit suicide. They dont actually have a car, or $50,000, or w/e. They just keep putting you through hoops until eventually you get a resort trip at a place where they will put you through another 90 minute minimal visit. Complete BS

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I won a trip to Vegas during mardi gras on the wheel. They then asked me for a 40 deposit on my card and I said nope.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Are those American SpiriOWWWWWW!!

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont know if it's a scam or not, but they kept calling over and over and over, even though i told them to stop, over and over.

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I filled it out with fake info, just for the towel. I scammed the scammers.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I took what was in the box. Free tickets to a comedy show.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

20. SwoLy-D

How is that? I went to one and don't have a resort trip or another 90 minute visit. :p Did I fall for their "pushy" sales? No.

1 person likes this.