1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaun Powell tweeting Hornets interested in moving #10 with Ariza or Okafor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Both have 3 years remaining at 40.6 and 21.7. It would be an expensive way to buy a underwhelming lottery pick, but for a team like Charlotte, why not take one of the salaries? Either player would be an upgrade for them!

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

How would it help us? I don't watch a significant amount of college basketball, so who would #10 likely be? Why would Orlando want an overpaid player in Ariza or Okafor and a decent, but not great draft pick, for the best center in the league?

Both have 2 years left on their contract, Okafor with $28M remaining, and Ariza with $15M with a player option on the last year.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It might. I don't think we would be interested in taking on either guy, but the Magic might.

Ariza is owed $7,258,960, $7,727,280 for the next two years.
    Okafor is owed $13,490,000 $14,487,500 for the next two years.

The Magic have no expiring contracts (Redick is non-guaranteed, but he has value around the league), nor cap space, so we likely would have to send out Dalembert (+fillers), which wouldn't too big a loss.

If Howard is gone, it will take a while for to rebuild anyway. Taking on Ariza for the #10 pick could be a pretty decent deal for them.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not interested.

Can't help but wonder if they didn't get #1, and say 4 or 5, this same deal might be on the table.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The taker has to accept Ariza
    or Okafor

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

First, I see 13.5 and 14.5 owed for the next two years on Okafor, not 40.6 and not for 3 years since this season is over. Ariza is owed 7.3 and 7.7 for the next two years with a player option on that second year, I believe.

Second, it says they are interested "in moving #10 WITH Ariza or Okafor." Meaning they want to dump some salary while moving that pick, correct? Where did they get the #10 from anyways?

1 person likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Enter Scola for Okafor and #10!!!
    Get r done Morrison!!!:grin::grin:
    More 2012 picks!!!
    More 2012 picks!!!!!

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yup, I was just looking at total contract from this date forward. Good catch.

The #10 was from the Clippers/CP3 trade(initially from the Timberwolves - waaaay back in the day, but kept getting moved back until it finally lost its lottery protection.)

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Could be good. Ariza and Okafor actually not bad players. Depends what u think cap room in 2013 does for you.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's what I'm wondering. Would Orlando be interested in Okafor or Ariza (who played there before) for a couple seasons if it meant a better draft pick that was possibly Lillard or PJIII??

And could we work out a deal with Orlando involving all our players and contracts besides Martin and Motie and then use trade leverage with NJ to get them to send us DWill for possibly Derrick Williams and the #10 after flipping Martin to Minny for Derrick and Martell/Miller's contracts, which could be flipped to NO for Ariza??

Seems to me there are a lot of possibilities here. I'm not going to take the time to sort through the possibilities. But I guarantee you Morey has all reiterations of trades already worked out to throw on Orlando on draft day.

12. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Would it be?

Seems like they would be in a similar boat as us. They wouldn't be bad enough to garner a high draft pick, and wouldn't be good enough to win in the playoffs, even in the east.

On second look, maybe it wouldn't kill them. Considering they really only have 2 bad contracts, and they aren't THAT bad. Richardson and Davis are both owed $19M over the next 3 years (Richardson has a player option on the 3rd year). But still, they owe Gilbert like 40 mil still from his amnestied contract, Turkawho is owned nearly $24M still, why take on money when you've desperately been trying to dump it for the last 2 years?

I assume they plan to send Turk with whoever gets Howard.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Man, must be nice to have 2 top 10 picks in one of the deepest drafts in years...So jelly

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

You had me at Ariza.

Haha! Jkjkjk. Lol!

15. Red&BlackPudman

Yes Ariza is trash.

16. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Kevin Martin for Okafor and the 10th pick!

17. conquistador#11

somehow it always comes back to dwight howard for joe.

18. dragonz

dragonz Member

If I am the Magic and if I want to send DHoward to NO, I would want that #1 pick instead of #10, at least not without a try.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Dalembert for #10 and Ariza.

20. arjun

arjun Member

what is the rule on amnestying a player you just traded for?