1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Send them back to Michigan....they both want to go!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AT, Nov 30, 2000.

1. AT

AT Member

houston trades: Maurice Taylor $2,250,000 to detroit
    houston trades: Carlos Rogers $2,200,000 to detroit
    TOTAL: $4,450,000
    detroit trades: Ben Wallace $4,000,000 to houston
    TOTAL: $4,000,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

B. Wallace is willing to board. Mo Taylor is obviously not. Do we really think we need his "Offense" he has so far brought to the table? That's just more shots for Steve or Dream as far as I'm concerned.

------------------
    "That's two years, Two rings, and I'm thinkin' about going for another one...YEAH!!" --S. Cassel

2. Timing

Timing Member

Detroit just signed Joe Smith so I don't if they'd be interested in another power forward but who knows.

------------------
    "Somebody DO something out there." -Bill Walton

3. Summer Song Giver

I'm all for it but I doubt Detroit would be willing.Unless....they were looking to add players in the final year of their contracts to free up cap space for next years class then maybe.

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

4. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

I like this trade, and it would help both teams. Unfortunately, Mo Taylor should not be traded unless he really wants to go. The Rockets don't want to get a reputation for giving up on players so soon, even if they won't play hard.

None of this matters anyway, because my sources tell me that Detroit loves Wallace, and Taylor is headed to Orlando around Christmas time.

C- Dream, Cato
    PF- KT, Amaechi
    SF- Walt, Mike Miller
    SG- SA, CAT
    PG- SF, Moochie

Add Webber to the mix next year, and I think we can challenge.

------------------

5. Thanos

Thanos Member

Yeah sure. Why trade a non-rebounding PF in Mo, who at least can score, for a C/PF who can´t rebound and can´t score either (amaechi)?

Better luck next time around, Mika.

If you wanna dream about trades, at least dream about trades that help our team.

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

we would be getting mike miller in that trade also though.

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited November 30, 2000).]

7. AT

AT Member

Maybe I'm wrong here, but wouldn't that give Detroit $4.45M of cap space to sign Joe Smith next year and also clear out the PF spot for him?

That of course assumes they think they can keep him and he doesn't want to bolt back to Minnesota.

I just want that Boarding ability Wallace clearly possesses.

------------------
    "He said hop on his back and he was goin' ta take us to the promise land...and that' what he done." -- Robert Horry '95

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

Bo Outlaw is as good as rebounder as Wallace and a better shot blocker. He should be the one for the Rockets to pursue.

I would trade Shandon and Mo for him alone. And then brng back Stais Boseman to back up Cuttino at the 2.

SF: Williams/Bullard
    PF: Outlaw/Thomas/Rogers
    C: Olajuwon/Cato/Collier
    PG: Francis/Norris
    SG: Mobley/Boseman

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited November 30, 2000).]

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Bo Outlaw is as good as rebounder as Wallace and a better shot blocker. He should be the one for the Rockets to pursue.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I'd like to point out that Wallace is averaging 11.3 reb/game and Outlaw is averaging 8.5 reb/game. That's a pretty significant difference.

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Shandon and Taylor for *gulp* Bo Outlaw? Must be the last name you love so much.

EEEEEK!!!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

sorry i hadn't checked the stats list in a few days. Before the last 2 games Wallace was avg. 9.31 rebounds (he got 40 boards in the last 2 games to bump him up to 11.3).

Before the last 2 games Outlaw was averaging 9.28 rebounds (he only got 6 rebounds in the last 2 games bringing him down to that 8.5)

So the last 2 games have made the big gap.
    Bo has had a real bad week rebounding while Ben has had a real good week.

12. outlaw

outlaw Member

Bo: 8.4 points per game
    SA+Mo: 16.6 points per game

Bo: 8.5 rebounds per game
    SA+Mo: 7.4 rebounds per game

Bo: 3.3 assists per game
    SA+Mo: 2.6 assists per game

Bo: 41 blocks, 26 steals
    SA+Mo: 16 blocks, 23 steals

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why use last year stats...we're playing now.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I've never seen anything stupider than that trade offer. First off, if you don't like Mo, you can clear him off the cap next summer, where as you are stuck with Wallace's 4 million dollar contract for years. But here's what I have been preaching, and it goes for the Outlaw offer too. This year we are probably a 7 or 8 seed in the playoffs. We are growing for the future. And that does not involve Hakeem. Any great team has to have some kind of a post option offensively to go to when the things get rough for the guards. Mo is not the best rebounder, I'll admit that. But what you guys underestimate is at least having some presence in the post in the future. Dream is not here forever. Now if you're in the NBA Finals, Steve and Cat are struggling, and you need a basket bad, would you honestly feel comfortable going down low to Cato or Wallace/Outlaw? I sure wouldn't. You cannot underestimate the value of having some kind of offensive post threat for the future, and if you guys are making trade proposals with Mo, you better at least get a PF or Center back with good scoring ability, or you'll be heading for a long year.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier fan club!

Looking for next year's Jason Collier or Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You can add up numbers all you wish, but the bottom line is Outlaw is not at all worth giving up Shandon Anderson and Maurice Taylor for, straight up.

It helps to use a full year's stats anyway before you go proposing trades (especially a 2 for 1) 15 games into the season. We obviously have our problems offensively this year. These two players have obviously struggled this year, but Outlaw is not worth it by a long stretch. Compile last year's FULL season numbers and see what you get. You may get a clearer picture of what the full season may hold.

Actually, you would get a more broad comparison if you averaged up last year's numbers combined with this year's for all three guys. I am not going to do all that, but in looking, they are much more lopsided in favor of SA and MT.

I know Outlaw is a hustler and a banger, and can grab a bunch of boards, but come on, let's be realistic. You can't give up two versatile players with polished skills for a raw (offensively) rebounder that can play some defense.

What you do is acquire such a player to compliment what you have, not give up what you have for him.

------------------

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Oh, and I second Cat's remarks. That is a whole lot of offensive skill you are losing in the process. Might I also add that Shandon Anderson is highly skilled on the defensive end as well.....he is just not a post player.

I know we need help in the area of interior defense. But we really haven't gotten to see Cato healthy yet, nor have we seen him log big minutes. I would like to see how he will fare. Cato in my estimation, could be every bit the player Outlaw is and then some, if he put his mind to it.

------------------

18. AT

AT Member

The Cat:

For someone who reads the words CARLOS ROGERS as "Shandon Anderson" to call this trade stupid only helps my cause. Thanks.

And why do you say that we better get back some offensive firepower in any trade involving MO?? To replace that powerful 8 points a game he's producing now?

My point is that we have plenty of guys that want to shoot and not enough that want to rebound. I think we should start looking for some boards at the PF position instead of the 1,2, or 3. Don't you agree? Or is the Rockets grand master scheme to have the strongest rebounding backcourt in the league and thus the softest front line?

Alternatively, we could look for some boards from the 5, but Hakeem is still there this season, Cato and Collier both show promise in this department, and adding a 3rd or 4th 5 would be even stupider than replacing a weak 4.

------------------
    "He said hop on his back and he was goin' ta take us to the promise land...and that' what he done." -- Robert Horry '95

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When did I even mention Shandon's name in my post? I know it was Mo and Carlos for Wallace (your offer). That's what I was commenting on. If you can find where I said it was Shandon please let me know.

It doesn't matter what Mo's stats are. He's averaging 10 ppg, and that's in just about 25 minutes or so with limited touches. You can't look at stats and tell who the best offensive players in the league are. This is not fantasy basketball where you look at a guy points a game and rebounds, and just say "Well this other guy can score almost as many points and rebounds a lot better so he's way better". No. You have to look at offensive talent and ability. How many points per game doesn't really matter. What you should concentrate on is whether or not when you need a bucket if you think the player has the ability to dig deep and get a basket. If you look at Mo's outstanding offensive talent, I find it hard to believe he won't get off a decent shot. He may not be a great rebounder, but a frontline of Cato and Wallace or Outlaw has no chance to succeed in the NBA today. You have to have a low post threat to succeed. You can throw around as many numbers as you want, but Taylor is a much much better post player offensively than either of those two. No comparison. You can win games and championships without being a great rebounding team. Look at the two Rocket championships for evidence of that. But you can't without a form of low post scoring. Do not undervalue that need.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier fan club!

Looking for next year's Jason Collier or Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

Cat, first let me say that i admire the tenacity with which you defend Mo. He couldn't hire a better lawyer than the one you are proving to be.

But some of your points really do not make a lot of sense.

You always mention our need for post game and all, how our guards can't get the job done, how the playoffs are half-court and so on. Up to this point, you are indeed right.

But i question your definition of what is a post game. A post player should be able to muscle his way to the basket, like the Chuckster used to. He would either get the bucket or go to the line. Mo on the other hand, is a JUMP SHOOTING PF. He couldn't BUY his way into a basket if banging is needed. He is SOFT. When you say "okay, he is not the greates rebounder, i'll admit that" I have to say that you have given a new meaning to the word UNDERSTATEMENT.

The man is SOFT. As in a pillow!

Stop with the lame excuses! A PF who is afraid and shies of physical contact like Mo is being so far, is completly LAUGHABLE.

I tire of your efforts to defended him. Though i'm not ready to completely give up on him yet, it's time you stop pretending and see what everyone around these parts see:

So far, Mo is a BUST!

Mcdyess is LIGHT YEARS ahead of him!

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited November 30, 2000).]