1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sebastian Telfair arrested for gun possession?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hayesfan, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Dude trying to get around the rules? Wonder who he's afraid of? (Stalkers? Like our resident Yao stalkers?)

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Felony gun possession !?

:confused:

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

ehh, he will be out of the league soon.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Rajon Rondo was playing a lot of his minutes in the middle of the season, but Telfair was getting more toward the end.

Personally I don't think Sebastian has made a correct decision since he forewent college playing for Rick Pitino at Louisville to go to the draft.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not entirely sure, but at least in Texas I think it becomes a felony if you have a gun with a bullet in the chamber (among other posibilities). The idea being that usually you catch people like that when they are getting ready to use the gun.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

strike 3?

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

it's kind of hard when you've got SLAM magazine hyping you up, breathing down your neck telling you you're the next big superstar...even when he was a freaking freshman in high school. It was just unfortunate he had all those people telling him he was good enough when he obviously needed to hone his skills more (just like most high school players who jump to pro).

8. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Celtics severing ties with Telfair after one season

Less than a week after Sebastian Telfair was arrested on a gun possession charge, the Boston Celtics are severing ties with the guard after one season.

Sebastian Telfair
    Point Guard
    Boston Celtics

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    78 6.1 1.4 2.8 .371 .818

"I wanted to let you know that we have removed Sebastian's nameplate from his locker in Waltham. The facts and circumstances of his case have not been determined but he does not have a Celtics locker and we do not anticipate that he will," Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck wrote in an e-mail to the Boston Globe on Tuesday.

Telfair was arrested on a gun possession charge after the car in which he was driving was stopped for going 77 mph in Yonkers, N.Y., early Friday.

Telfair, a 21-year-old Brooklyn native, was charged with second-degree possession of a handgun and driving with a suspended license following the 3:53 a.m. stop on the Yonkers highway, Westchester County police said.

According to Westchester police, Telfair was driving his 2006 Range Rover on northbound Bronx River Parkway when it was clocked speeding in a 45-mph zone.

A passenger, Al Eden Fuentes of Queens, was in the car with Telfair when it was stopped on the parkway, about five miles north of Manhattan. Telfair produced a Florida driver's license that had been suspended.

After stopping the Range Rover, the officer found a loaded .45-caliber handgun sticking out from under the front passenger seat, according to the Westchester County spokesman.

Telfair and Fuentes, 28, said they knew nothing about the gun, Westchester County police spokesman Kieran O'Leary said. Police were still investigating whether the gun was registered.

Police charged Telfair with a misdemeanor count of second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and issued summonses charging him with speeding and driving without a license, both violations.

Telfair pleaded not guilty Friday at Yonkers City Court to the charges and bail was set at $7,500. He and Fuentes were due back in court May 17.

O'Leary said Telfair was polite and cooperative.

"Our officers said he behaved like a gentlemen," O'Leary said.

Telfair's cousin, New York Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury, showed up to support him hours before he was arraigned, the Daily News reported on its Web site.

"The players on the Celtics have been explicitly warned, this year, to obey the team and league gun prohibition as well as state laws. We take this very seriously and will act accordingly once the facts have been determined," Grousbeck said Friday night.

Telfair's brief NBA career has been marred by controversy, starting with his 2005 fine by the Portland Trail Blazers after a loaded gun was found on the team's private jet at Boston's Logan Airport.

The handgun was found in a pillowcase belonging to Telfair as the team plane was being prepared for a flight from Boston to Toronto. Telfair explained to local authorities that the gun belonged to his girlfriend and that he had inadvertently grabbed the wrong bag when leaving for the team's road trip.

In October 2006, Telfair reported a $50,000 chain was snatched off his neck at a Manhattan night club. He was unable to identify the men who stole the chain.

The 6-foot Telfair, a former New York schoolboy hoops legend, averaged 6.1 points and 2.8 assists a game this season for the Celtics.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2847755

What a moron.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

So is Telfair our next try at finding a backup point?

It's amazing that he's still only 21, and would be a junior coming out of college. Although I thought the hype on him coming out was his incredible floor vision. I mean, it's one thing to be a crappy shooter, but he should've at least been a servicable distributor.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I don't know much about the kid, just the hype I saw on ESPN...What's next...

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

WOW. Celtics just telling him to get lost. That's fairly damning. He's still under contract next year and they're just going to take the hit on that.

He's been borderline awful in his short career. Can't get others involved or create, dismal shooting, turnover prone, defensive liability at not quite 6 foot.

He's got speed and talent, but he's a marginal backup without the IQ you have to have to run point.

If he can't make it with two terrible teams, why would he make a leap and be a contributer with a near contender? He may get the minimum from somebody like Cleveland, but I doubt he's in the league for long.

Evan

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what a bum.

nice trade ainge.

13. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

Can the ROX Still Add a Player (Telfair)?

Can the ROX Still Add a Player (Telfair)?

this might be a silly questions i know, but I just heard on the radio that Boston is to realese Sebastian Telfair and I was wondering if the Rox can still pick him up even if he was released this late?

he is 6.0 ft 185 pounds has not delivered what many thought he would end up being and lote of off court issues lately but he has lots of potential wasy from boston.

HomeCareer Stats and TotalsSeason SplitsGame LogsBio SEASON AVERAGES
    Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    06-07 BOS 78 30 20.2 .371 .289 .818 0.2 1.2 1.4 2.8 0.6 0.1 1.26 2.10 6.1
    Career 214 86 21.3 .387 .309 .778 0.2 1.3 1.6 3.2 0.7 0.1 1.58 2.10 7.4

Last Three Games
    Date Opponent Result MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
    Apr 18 vs. DET L 89-91 19 1-4 0-0 0-0 1 1 2 1 0 0 3 1 2
    Apr 16 @ MIA W 89-91 18 1-5 1-5 0-0 0 0 0 3 1 1 1 2 3
    Apr 15 @ ORL L 88-86 7 0-3 0-1 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

why not, we had EG before, then Stro last year, Bonzi this year, Telfair would be perfect for our 07-08 headcase with untapped talent who winds up ion JVG's doghouse before preseason is over.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, all playoff rosters must be set before the start of the playoffs.

16. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

I'm pretty sure you can't add a player to the playoff roster. But even if you could...it would be a bad move to get Telfair. I think he was third string in Boston! What does that tell you about his playing ability? Not to mention that you wouldn't throw a new guy in the mix when a playoff series is on the line.

I wouldn't even want to go after him during the off-season, he's got too many off the court problems.

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Straight up! :D

18. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

*AHEM!!!* Bonzi *COUGH COUGH*

Telfaire is a criminal, and have more problems than Bonzi... You think JVG is going to ever let him out of the doghouse?

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

If a team like Portland is going to release a player, why would anyone else want him?

20. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

good point, Telfair's gotta get out of the big house before he can even go into JVG's doghouse