1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

School shooting - at least 5 dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh you misunderstand, I KNOW that Kahn is a big fan of knife bans in order to save everyone, I was asking Commodore about his opinion on the subject.

Clearly with deadly weapons like knives out there, people won't be able to refrain from murdering people so "common sense knife control" is the only possible solution.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

There awaits a special place in Hell for matt gaetz, one of biggest gun rights, highest nra rated in congress and who once said open carry was "granted not by government but by God." btw, had his DUI dropped despite refusing a breath test after staggering out of his car (and having 16 speeding tickets).

Trump Ally Tries To Remove Parkland Fathers From Gun Violence Hearing
    https://www.npr.org/2019/02/06/6920...ve-parkland-fathers-from-gun-violence-hearing

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A year later... what has been done?

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What we have always done, nothing. Waiting for the inevitable next school shooting, MAGA.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. HTM

HTM Member

What should be done exactly?

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

A lot more light needs to be shined on how 90%+ of these shooters are children of single parents, living with the mother (and thus without the father); and how they are (as a result) also hopped up on mood-altering scrips. All these things are related.

And yes I know the Santa Fe case was a rare exception to this.

Other things: armed teachers; more police at schools; metal detectors.

But better parenting in general is needed. And on that front, I wouldn't mind some punitive measures placed on the parents of the shooters. They are responsible for the state of their child's life (and his mental outlook) after all.

9. HTM

HTM Member

I don't see how fixing broken homes is a realistic solution. I don't know of any way to stop the American proclivity for having children out of wedlock or getting divorced at a 50% clip. I'm not sure how to mandate "better parenting."

I'm not a fan of turning schools into fortresses and I'm not a fan of "good guy with a gun" as a solution. I don't really want to live in a world where everyone/ a large % of people feel the need to be packing all the time.

That being said, I don't have or see a solution to this problem.

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You're correct that it won't be easy, but for starters we can start telling the truth about what's going on. That in and of itself will have at least some positive effect. And, as I mentioned, you can punish the parents. That might perhaps get some of them thinking about their lack of parenting.

The above is the heart of the matter; the origin of the problem.

All the other stuff is just treating the symptoms.

11. dmoneybangbang

The truth about what?

It shouldn’t be surprising increased access to firearms produces these results.

12. dmoneybangbang

The truth about what?

It shouldn’t be surprising increased access to firearms produces these results.

13. HTM

HTM Member

I just don't think "it won't be easy" - I don't think it realistic at all. The solution to the problem your proposing is a non-starter. You can't make people stay in relationships and you can't make people stop having ill advised pregnancies. I don't think "punishing the parents of school shooters" is a worthwhile solution either.

I also don't really believe but it's the "heart of the matter" - obviously the vast vast majority of children who come from broken homes don't do anything like this.

We live in a country that has something like 400+ million guns in it. We have a massive gun culture. If you want to get your hands on one, it's not that hard and it won't be that hard no matter what. The legislative proposals that raise gun purchasing ages, close the gun show loopholes or strengthen background checks or whatever won't make a material difference. Bottom line is Americans aren't going to give up their guns and legislatures won't pass legislation which makes it too terribly difficult to access a gun. Therefore, I fail to see a realistic solution to this problem. It's going to keep happening.

#793 HTM, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, it certainly won't be solved if we can't agree on what the problem is. I could point out that millions of people own guns and don't ever have a safety issue or problem with them (ie, no one gets hurt).

These school shooters fit a very precise profile, and it's like what I described previously.

You're putting forth a bit of a straw man argument. Of course you can't stop people from having ill-advised pregnancies, nor can you make them stay together (which may not be the best thing either).

Here's what can be done: stop automatically giving the mothers custody of their children. That's the problem here. Single mothers cannot raise boys into men, in general. That's why these boys are all on mood-altering drugs: because the mother can no longer physically control or discipline the boy or young man. A father usually can.

I would give custody of the children to the one that can afford to support them. That's almost always the father. That's the way it used to be before the Duluth model came into being.

And, you can punish the parents. All of these are things that realistically could be done. But of course the gynocracy will object.

So, you're right -- this will continue to happen. But we disagree on the reasons for that, it would seem.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You might want to check this news item out, if you think my ideas are so impossible and inappropriate:

"Justice Served? A Highly Unusual Hawaii Law Is Costing This Woman Her Home
    Her son was one of five teenagers who robbed and shot a Pearl City man during a home invasion 19 years ago. Now the victim has wound up with her house as part of his restitution claim."

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/02/j...al-hawaii-law-is-costing-this-women-her-home/

It's not a school shooting event crime, but this punishment is a step in the right direction. More of this needs to happen.

17. jcf

jcf Member

Punishing the parents would be obscene. maybe if you could show the parents were abusive but in that case there are other laws to deal with that. Often times, the shooters have mental illnesses. They are often being treated at the time the commit the shooting.

I am sure that some parenting can create monsters. But, I am also sure that as comforting as it would be to be able to say all bad or sick people must have come from bad or sick parents, that isn't true.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The parents of the Newton shooter didn't divorce until he was 17. The Parkland shooter's father died and the Columbine shooter's parents were all still married.

19. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'm thinking those were exceptions. What I'm hearing and reading is that these school shooters 90%+ fit a certain demographic profile, a key component of which is a son being raised by a single mother. I believe that was also the case in the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater shooting.

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

But then you have to ask yourself, why do/did they have mental illness? Could it be that in many cases, a (single) mother really cannot attend to the emotional needs of a son? I think there's a lot to that.

To be sure, there are exceptions to what I'm stating. My own father, a very high achiever and successful family man, was raised by a single mother. But, I think that situation is the very rare exception.

Mostly, single mothers raising sons by themselves is a recipe for mental illness and/or criminality on the part of the son.