1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sarah Palin: America's Affirmative Action Candidate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Icehouse, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I remember a post that mentioned how Palin was using slang during the debate...claiming that if a black candidate were doing the same then he/she would get drilled. Then I saw this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yvonne-r-davis/sarah-palin-americas-affi_b_131784.html

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is America's Affirmative Action candidate! Everything opponents of the controversial Civil Rights measure they claim is wrong with Affirmative Action have all but vanished into thin air. With Palin's low expectation passing grade performance during the vice presidential debate, Republicans have complete amnesia about a policy measure they vehemently argue supports someone with Sarah Palin-like qualifications.

Republican adversaries of Affirmative Action say minorities are given chances due to purposefully-set inferior standards to create opportunity. Hence, resentment may come from a more qualified middle-aged white male who is passed over because of political expediency. In this case, Senator Joe Lieberman or former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney -- although both declare they are thrilled with Palin as the most "qualified" candidate for Veep - were passed over. They too support the Affirmative Action move of bringing Palin on to the ticket.

Palin's recent television interviews with ABC News Charles Gibson and CBS Anchor Katie Couric seems to behind her now for the moment. However, the reality is, she still has limited capabilities to be vice president. With mediocrity being celebrated as the 21st century take away in presidntial politics, Palin being a proverbial heart beat away from the presidency should she and McCain win in November is still a scary thought.

Sarah Palin receives social promotion and free passes from Republicans despite her obvious avoidance of answering direct questions because she just does not know. In her debate against Senator Joe Biden, she executed her lines and cute jabs flawlessly. However, when the question was asked if the vice presidency was properly considered a part of the executive or legislative branch of government, it was quite visible she did not know. Palin skipped out on the answer briefly mentioning something about the framers and then grabbed and delivered her life line key message point. Palin is an example of what opponents of Affirmative Action would call someone who has "low level accountability" in her new position. Although the McCain campaign exhaled after the debate, she is still not ready for prime time media.

Palin being admitted to the vice president's slot fills a gender "quota." This is a fightin' word for Republicans. They will step into the ring with you if you use that dirty word! Conservatives would say the Palin pick is plain old-fashioned preferential treatment of a minority. Though she's very ill-equipped to handle the job, Republicans, are nonetheless willing to give her on-the-job training. She is given cliff notes and advanced copies of a mastery test to try and get her qualified. The Palin pick is very sad, but possibly a workable attempt to convince Americans -- particularly women - that to be less than average for one of the top spots in the world is okey dokey...if it's about winning.

If Palin is seen as a quota then her candidacy represents the most severe criticism by Republicans. She represents everything Republicans hate about Affirmative Action, but they are now willing to flip flop to get their gal in. Though this term is now over used, this is an actual example and meaning of what is called "lipstick on a pig" by the McCain campaign.

The Thursday night debate was a huge entrance exam to establish to the American public that Palin can prove she is up to the challenge. Palin verified it by showing us laxity in her statespersonship with cliches and colloquialism. She even used some "ebonics," got a little ghetto and threw a "shout out" to third graders in Alaska after she exclaimed that the education system for our children needed an overhaul - Go figure! Sarah Palin gets a big "You Go-girl,"with Republicans in tow lovin' the new urban-towny lingo style.

The vice presidency of the United States of America is not a game of style, cool vernacular and quit wittedness; all things Palin does exceptionally well. The Vice Presidency is not even about a "breath of fresh air." She looks fabulous. The vice presidency is about substance. It is about having a person who can be taken very seriously by not only American Joe six-pack to have a brewsky with or a hockey mom to curse out the coach for benching their son, but a leader who in a moment's notice can lead the entire world if necessary.

Normally, someone like Palin as the Affirmative Action candidate, Republicans would denounce and wince over -- however, they are willing to help her from start to finish so that if elected, she might be ready for the job some day.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Huffington . . . She seems on Point

Rocket River

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If Palin were 33, also from Arizona or an immigrant, then she would be an Affirmative Action candidate. Stupid, stupid article.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm inspired pouhe. You are swinging...Friends, foe...Off with the head. I respect that...

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . it is the least you could do . . .

Rocket River

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, actually disputing the originally posted article with a relevant, factual response was the least I could do. Do you plan to do same? Or are you going to continue to make the same, repetitive taunt, insinuate that I'm not black again, or continue to tell me that because my parents were immigrants, and not born here, that I don't understand "black issues?"

Are you still that lazy, stupid and childish?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am simply repeating what you said . . .. did you not say . . ITS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO . . . . ??

Then again . . .if she were ethnic. . I'm sure the least you could do was talk about how unqualified she was. . . cause then again . .that would be the Least you could do . . .

You are what I think you are . .. just like you . . . uhm . . .
    friend? no that is too strong. . . uhm . .. idol! . . yes like your IDOL!

Rocket River

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I noticed that too, but then I thought about Bush and how people were willing to give him a pass on his idiocy and they assumed it was genuine folksiness...

Women, even the white ones, have historically benefited from AA in the workplace as much as ethnic minorities.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Didn't allege they hadn't, even though that's probably arguable; and actually flat out wrong in the context of higher education.

The article implies that established standards were set aside for a VP selection. The only known standards are 35 years of age, not from the same state as the presidential candidate and a natural born citizen of the United States. I actually misspoke in that those are the government standards. The standards of a political party, or more precisely a Presidential nominee, are that he or she believes that the running mate might give him or her more votes.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Technically, you are right.

Functionally, highly qualified candidates were passed up for the sole purpose of selecting a less qualified woman.

11. Icehouse

And that's the problem. If a candidate were genuinly urban (and all urban slang doesn't involve profanity like another poster suggested), I don't think folks would give him/her that same pass. I'm pretty sure Obama would get drilled for giving someone, anyone a shoutout during a debate. Look at how much press he and his wife got for giving each other a pound on stage.

12. Icehouse

IMO, the article implied that Palin is not qualified enough to be VP, and that her party is ok with pushing her because they want to get votes. That's hypocrisy, not just from an AA perspective but for this race in general (the early parts of campaigning noted how Obama wasn't qualified). I understand your point but completely disagree with you that a VP pick should only be of age, from a state and be able to get you votes. I'm sure no high ranking Republican would go on record saying that's all a VP pick needs to have.

And when I say unqualified, I'm speaking on the knowledge in her head. She doesn't seem to know enough....

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

A high ranking Repub did go on record ...the biggest record of all. In fact, he put his money where is mouth is. He selected Palin as his veep.

When you heard about the Palin selection, was it not BLATENTLY obvious that it was a pandering selection to get Clinton supporters? Then later we learned she's a neocon which totally energized the religious base and the NRA base.

If her selection isn't only about getting votes, I don't know what else could possibly convince you otherwise. I'd have a hard time convincing you that grass is green and the sky is blue.

There are very few things in life more clear than the Palin selection was about votes. :confused:

Let me clarify something, however. On a strategic perspective for the election, it was brilliant. Well done, McCain. ...but that doesn't mean it's a good selection for the country.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As far as he concerned. . .she has the ONE qualification that equalizes everything . . .

Experience - None of them have this level of Experience so it is a non factor
    Education - one side have Two folx from the ivy leagues. . the other has a 5th from the last grad from Naval Academy that only got that because of his pops . .and someone who peiced together a journalism degree from 5 colleges
    Temperment - A man with a calm demeanor and a career politician . . versus a hot head and a chick that just so d*mn Folksie Gosh Darnit

but the most important GREAT Equalizer
    which makes all things equal for the Pouhes and T_Js of the world

One side has an . . uhm . .Urban person . . and the other side does not
    so . . .the Other Side is Equal or better. . . in there eyes

Rocket River
    This election will see is the rest of America agrees.

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

For as much as you claim that T_J and pouhe are racists, you're the only person on this entire board who consistently brings up race in your posts regardless of topic.

16. Icehouse

I agree that she was only selected to get votes. I also think it was smart to try. She still isn't qualified for the job, and I think that's what the writer was trying to convey. I.E. we are down with this method when it's to our advantage but we usually would not support something like this.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I disagree with everyone... I don't think she was selected through a political calculation as much as it was McCain throwing a hissy fit over not being allowed to pick who he wanted. If it was a purely political pick, it was another example of how out of touch the McCain campaign is because she is hurting them across all demographics.

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

This thread simply smacks of irony. Smack smack smack

Who else thinks a freshman democratic Senator with no substantive experience would be on top of the Democratic ticket if he wasn't 'different' than the other candidates? Why do you think the eggheads support Snobama? Because of his legislative victories in office? Ha! It makes the latte-sippers feel good inside when they can elevate an 'underprivileged minority' -- even if that minority grew up with all the privileges of a wealthy white male (private schooling, Ivy league education, etc). That's some delicious irony right there, folks.

HO HO HO

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I love reading Jorge's posts these days....

:D

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's like conservative poster affirmative action. MI-CHI-GAN!