1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Sam Smith, Chi Trib: Rox Want to Trade Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 6, 2006.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...1775.column?coll=chi-sportscolumnistfront-hed

Pistons role models for Bulls
    Paxson seems to be following Dumars' personnel philosophy

Published March 6, 2006

So the Pistons won't be beating that 72-10 Bulls record from 1995-96 after losing No. 11 on Saturday night to the Lakers and Phil Jackson. "I thought about that," Jackson admitted.

Still, the Pistons are cruising toward the top seed in the East while the Bulls are in the ninth spot with a shot at moving up one. Wouldn't the NBA love that for a first-round playoff matchup? The story lines are already there thanks to Rasheed Wallace's laughing at and taunting the Bulls in a December Pistons victory and Scott Skiles' suggesting the Pistons are more whiners than winners in a commentary on their complaining to referees after a Bulls loss last month. Perhaps that's where Antonio Davis is missed most on a non-confrontational team that needs the coach to do the challenging.

Yet it's the Pistons whom the Bulls seem to be emulating.

Despite all my scenarios for the Bulls to trade for a star, like Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen or Paul Pierce, it's most likely they won't have enough to satisfy other teams without feeling like they are giving away too much. The belief around the team is that the Bulls will move along carefully, using the draft and limited free agency and hoping to fall into a big-time player, like the Pistons did with Wallace.

Says Pistons General Manager Joe Dumars about the attributes that have made them successful: "There's a common bond between all of our players--they all feel like they have something to prove, each guy is completely unselfish, winning is more important than anything else [and] our guys have total respect for each other.

"I've tried to acquire guys that fit on and off the court. It's vital to your team to have good people. As far as on the court, we've tried to get guys that complement each other and understand team concept more than anything else."

This all started for the Pistons during the coaching regime of Rick Carlisle, who helped transform the team without Grant Hill into a defensive unit in 2001-02 and 2002-03. Skiles has done much the same for the Bulls. As personnel chief, Dumars is an unselfish former player who understands chemistry, not unlike Bulls GM John Paxson.

And then the Pistons were careful in acquisitions. They were both fortunate and smart in persuading Hill to seek a sign-and-trade so they could get Ben Wallace, though they didn't know how good he would become. They wanted to get younger and more unselfish, exchanging Jerry Stackhouse for Richard Hamilton. They took a chance in free agency with a modest contract on Chauncey Billups because Dumars believes you cannot build by giving maximum contracts.

The Pistons also drafted wisely at No. 23 for Tayshaun Prince and didn't give up on him when they had a chance to draft Carmelo Anthony at the same position. Though the Darko Milicic pick was a bust, they got a first-round pick from Orlando in exchange and weren't afraid to make a move that would draw media criticism for the good of the team.

It would be nice to get a star who can draw a double team and score. But if the Bulls are wise in free agency and lucky in the draft, who knows? They were chasing Detroit once and it came out pretty well.

The road to China

The 23 players asked to join the USA Basketball national team for the 2006 world championships and 2008 Olympics were named Sunday, with 21 NBA players plus Adam Morrison of Gonzaga and J.J. Redick of Duke. Omissions included Allen Iverson and Baron Davis, the latter saying he was shocked and appalled.

Team Chairman Jerry Colangelo said there would be no cuts and everyone would be eligible to be picked for the Olympics, though a 12-man team would be named after a camp this summer. So who are the top 12? Here's one guess: LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard, Elton Brand, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Bruce Bowen, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh and Redick.

Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation but is not likely to play, while Billups and Michael Redd are excused for this summer because they are getting married.

Van Gundy is right?!

I don't often agree with Jeff Van Gundy, who was at it again last week in a never-ending critique of his Rockets, saying "the transition defense was deplorable, the one-on-one defense was horrendous, the help defense was unacceptable, the pick-and-roll defense was non-existent and the shot selection was bizarre."

Van Gundy was asked about being so critical and noted the irony of being criticized for being one of the rare guys to tell the truth, sort of like Ken Williams on Frank Thomas. Said Van Gundy: "I love when you're asked a question, you give an honest answer and it's 'ranting.' If you don't want an honest answer, don't ask. [I should] just say, `Everything was great, it's hard being a NBA player.'"

Pistons well-worn

The Pistons face the Bulls at home in the first game after a withering stretch of 10 games in 10 different cities before the All-Star weekend, and then eight more cities in 12 days afterward. "There are really, really signs of fatigue," Billups said. Whether the weariness will take its toll has been the question about the Pistons all season with all their starters among the league leaders in minutes played.

Magic like what they see

The Magic has been gushing about Milicic, who is averaging nine points and 7.3 rebounds the last three games. Scouts say he projects as a player who should average about 12 points and eight rebounds.

Allen wants to go home

No surprise that the pleas of Paul Allen, one of the world's richest men, for public help for his Trail Blazers have been laughed at. Some in Portland believe it's a gambit to sell the team and buy the SuperSonics, also seeking public support. Allen owns the Seattle Seahawks and lives in Seattle.

Double dribbles

Interesting mix-up for the Clippers, who play the Bulls here Friday, against the Hornets when rookie Yaroslav Korolev went the wrong way. Korolev explained later that the play called for a screen off Vin Baker, but that he didn't know who Baker was. Baker appeared to be out of the NBA for good after battling alcoholism, depression and weight problems. But he worked out with John Lucas in Houston and was picked up by the Clippers and Mike Dunleavy, one of his former coaches. "Maybe it won't happen every time down the court, but there will be spurts and moments when I'll be able to pull some things out of the bag," Baker said. . . . Wonder if after the season the Rockets would take on Chris Duhon for inconsistent power forward Stromile Swift, whom the Rockets say they want to move. . . . More tales of playing with Steve Nash: When Marion set his career high with 44 points, he said he had two plays called for him (he usually has none) and neither worked.

Final shots

The Bulls host the Nets on Tuesday, and for any of the teams scrambling for the final East playoff spot, sixth place is the target for a likely first-round series with the Nets. They are weak on the front line, don't defend and their bench is still poor because they failed to get Tim Thomas. Now they've been questioning things, like Richard Jefferson's recent complaint of being excluded from the offense. Said center Jason Collins: "We just need to get our heads out of our [rears] and do a better job on defense." . . . Former Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik, coaching Air Force, and former Hawks and Illini coach Lon Kruger, at UNLV, could meet this week in the Mountain West tournament. Bzdelik is 23-5 while Kruger is 16-12. . . . So just why is it that the University of Illinois has such high admission standards? In one of those personality profiles in a Salt Lake City newspaper, Deron Williams said it's been "awhile" since he's read a book, but said he reads magazines and watches at least one movie per day. . . . Latvian-born Warriors forward Andris Biedrins on his $100,000 Porsche Cayenne wrecked in an accident: "It was like my best friend in America."

sasmith@tribune.com

2. Lance Berkman

Lance Berkman Member

Rockets aint moving Swift.

.PERIOD.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's probably getting this information second hand from Peter Vecsey.

4. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

If JVG manages to get Stromile Swift traded instead of Ryan Bowen or David Wesley, I will personally restart the "FIRE JVG" club myself. :mad:

5. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

I would DEFINITELY move Stromile for Duhon. Then move Alston for a real power forward or shooting guard. Sign Reggie and Spanoulis with the MLE.

PG: Duhon/Spanoulis
    SG: Shooting guard/ Wesley/ draftpick
    SF: McGrady/ Bogans
    PF: Howard/ Evans
    C: Ming/ draftpick

Duhon > Alston.

He is more of a leader, limits his turnovers, stays in control, AND can hit the 3 ball consistently. Oh... he plays defense as well.

#5 ktvoss, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  6. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I don't see why we would trade Swift at this point...I like how he's been playing...he's quit with the dumbheaded plays, has progressed his post game, and gives us some nice athleticism at the 4 spot...

and trading Alston??? You mean, the one pure point guard that the Rockets havent seen since the days of John Lucas? I'm fine with our 4 platoon of Howard-Swift, and once Wesley's contract expires, then we can sign a long, rangy 2 who can defend and score...

right now, I like the idea of Yao, Tracy, Rafer, Stro and Luther being our main core for the future...

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i agree i think we should hold on to those players and pick up other players around them with the MLE and draft.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Sam Smith is a joke.

He makes up worse trades than bbs fodder. I have no idea why it gets published.

Notice he turns what he thinks is a scoop(rox wanting to trade stro) into a fantasy trade for the bulls?

I mean, I like Duhon, but cmon.

9. askball

askball Member

I think the point of this trade if it happened would be to use Duhon as our back-up for Alston, because apparently we've been looking for one and I don't see Brunson or Fitch as a long term plan.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First off, Bowen is untradable due to lack of demand.

Second, Wesley is expiring this year, so he's untradable anymore.

Third, Swift has 1. underperformed, and 2. is (possibly) the only tradable piece the Rockets have not named "Yao" or "Tracy" - so if you want them to trade in order to improve the team, get used to the idea of Swift playing somewhere else.

11. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Rox has made too many trades in the past few years IMO. And I don't think that helps to develop a solid team with good chemistry.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Man can we put a moratorium on "Trade Threads" until the season ends. And Sam Smith doesn't have any info. He constantly dreams up trade scenarios and suckers people into thinking that they are actual rumors.

13. JusBleezy

1. Ok, so we can trade Moochie Norris and Lonnie Baxter but we can't trade Ryan Bowen? Right. (We actually received a very serviceable player in Bogans)

2. The point is that before the trading deadline we could have traded him but did not.

Third, in my opinion, (Bolded for emphasis) JVG hasn't utilized half of the talent we have on this team. Instead of fitting his system to the players on the team, he forces the players on his team to conform to his system, therefore, limiting their ability to play to their strengths. As any basketball expert from Red Auerbach to Phil Jackson will tell you, they fit their system to their players. JVG does not do this and, I believe, (again bolded for emphasis) he limits what some players can do out on the court. This is the case with Swift. Want proof? McGrady's first season here, after we got off to a horrible start, McGrady had to request to meet with the coach to discuss his offensive role with the team. After the meeting it has been a beautiful marriage between JVG and McGrady, but how did JVG not realize that he would have to give the scoring champ some free offensive reign when he came to Houston? So if McGrady, the scoring champ, had to prove that he needed some leniency to play to his strengths, how do you think someone like Stromile Swift will get little bit of reign to play to his strengths? Yes I realize that is pure speculation on my part about JVG intentionally holding back players, but I know that I'm not the only one who has noticed this. When player's come here, they all of a sudden shoot worse and don't seem to play as well. (Some, not all tho)

I didn't mean to turn this into a JVG discussion but I had to explain myself. Carry on. :)

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I've heard a similiar story from within the organization. Hayes makes Yao better.

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

JVG is a good coach, and I do defend him, but even when we're winning, I too feel that JVG doesn't utilize the skills that players have, he tries to make them do what he wants. This could be good or bad, depends on how you look at it, but I'd rather JVG try to utilize what talent his players have, and then try to teach them how to do it his way.

Why do you think the Pistons, Spurs, Mavericks and Suns are so good?

It's because they have coaches who really know how to work with what they have, and make the best of it.

IMO, JVG doesn't do that. The only thing I think he lets happen that should is letting T-Mac go 1-on-1 anytime. Iso.

16. ktvoss

You can't be serious to think Ryan Bowen has value. Baxter had value, some teams need a guy like him that hustles and gets rebounds, alot of teams lack a frontcourt and Bobcats was one. No team needs Ryan Bowen.

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

definitely.... no possible complications for this whatsoever.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd only do that trade if we found another F/C who can block shots.

19. ktvoss

Swift, IMO, is an average blocker. A true meaning of a player that blocks shots is Milicic. Swift is... just athletic.

20. JusBleezy

Well, if Ryan Bowen is as good and hustles like JVG says he does, why wouldn't someone want him? What's funny is Bowen is a guy that hustles and gets rebounds, and he plays in the frontcourt. Exactly what you said Baxter is and teams need.