1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sac Bee] Rockets informed that Kings not moving Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tariq, Feb 5, 2010.

1. tariq

tariq Member

http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2515246.html

Sam Amick, Sac Bee: "Though Westphal wouldn't specify the player or players to whom he alluded, it's indisputable that no King has drawn more attention in trade speculation than shooting guard Kevin Martin(notes). League sources say the Kings continue to tell inquiring teams that they have no interest in moving Martin, especially in scenarios intended solely to create salary cap space by freeing them of his contract (three seasons and a combined $34.6 million remaining beyond this season). Houston is among those teams recently informed of that fact, with that possibility set to include Tracy McGrady(notes) and his expiring contract ($22.5 million) if talks had progressed. They didn't, of course, but the chatter remains because of the chaotic context surrounding Martin and the team. Not only are the Kings losing, but Martin has struggled while failing to provide the lift Westphal and his staff hoped for upon his return."

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would love Kevin Martin here. I know I'm in the minority but he brings EXACTLY what we need in terms of offense and efficiency.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

add IF healthy to the end.

No thanks to Kevin Martin.

4. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

Yeah, for like half a season.. The other half will be in street clothes. He's Tmac part II when it comes to injuries. Great talent, great on the offense side of the ball but also injury prone. No more to injury plagued players please. 5 yrs of max players getting injured every season needs to stop please.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah, I know about the injuries but I wouldn't call them chronic to a specific location. Most of them are flukes. He only makes around $11 mil. a year.

6. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Numbers dont lie

7. REEKO_HTOWN

numbers also don't tell the whole story.

you can make numbers do anything you like if you're smart enough.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

Kevin Martin would be my #1 guy to get right now BUT he's so injury prone that he's proven to be another T-mac in that department. We need some healthy guys on this team.

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

They dont necessarily have to be "chronic injuries". If a player has a history of "fluke" injuries that keeps him out for significant time, that's just a player that's prone to injuries.

Unfortunately for us, we've had bad luck getting stuck with two superstars that have chronic injuries (Yao's feet, and Tmac's everything).

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I go back and forth on Martin...guy has great offensive skills, not a great defender, contract isn't overally crazy and is an injury concern. I think with Yao, Martin will do fantastic IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY which is the issue with him. If we were to aquire him it would be a good move for both the Rox and Kings but man i'd be keeping my fingers crossed the dude stays in one piece.

I'll assume by the deadline the Kings will reconsider their stance on wanting quality in return instead of just an expiring contract so I'd think the Rox would be one of the teams most in on Martin.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Face it, the Kings deal and the Philly deal has no legs on it unless we get a third team involved, and give up at least 2 pieces of our core.

Reason being, bad teams, in poor markets, have a hard time attracting top tier free agents. Expiring contracts the size of Mcgradys does nothing for them at all. Its not like they are going to use it on a max free agent. The most likley scenerio is they over pay for Rudy Gay or worse, which isnt what they want to do. Teams like Philly and Sac are better off building their team in the draft and trades. Mcgradys expiring deal would only attract teams that could use it to make a pivotal move for the likes of Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Boozer, Amare, and Joe Johnson....after that, its irrevealant.

12. rocketsmetalspd

Say no to Martin. The guy is not reliable when it comes to being healthy. I rather go after Iggy

13. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I agree, personally on my rockets list of players to get (that fill needs) 1. Monta Ellis 2. Kevin Martin

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I don't believe a word they say in Articles. That team needs to make moves bottom line. The excuse from their fans even they are unhappy and are willing to see changes. They have Martin and Evans and are a losing team. Other team using the same format, young-developing etc... winning without their best players, that alone indicates changes are needed. They could deal away Martin if they land a nice pick and trade their pick with that pick to #2 pick. It's not like they are going anywhere. The waiting process, develop excuse for them is highly overrated and the faster for move, the better for them.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No thanks to either. Those two are both injury prone, too injury prone. And not to mention ball stoppers, especially Ellis.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Personally, i don't think they are keepers even if we land guys like Martin and Butler. Those are probably high-asset players to land per say Bosh. That would be the only way i see why rox hold interest and being in our shoes, other teams would be the same way.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe this is irrational, but I have no interest in Iggy if Ariza is the three starting next to him. I know they've got length and athleticism, which is great for a running team, but it strikes me as a disastrous combo next year with Yao Ming because of how inefficient they are from long range. I like Iguodala better with Battier, but I'd much prefer someone who can shoot the ball.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

To be honest, battier has got to leave and soon. I highly doubt management would consider trading him due to his value plummetting this year.

Its painful watching shane try to play on offense.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

I totally agree. People thing Iggy is the second coming of a Black Joe Johnson.

Iggy is not a good shooter and especially not a good fit here with Yao.

Right now, I'd be happy to get Salmons, Miller and filler for T-mac.

20. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

thank god. :)

kevin martin is not the answer. we need a real superstarand not just a one dimensional player that is paid like one.