1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm really pulling for the kid. He sounds super hungry.

To be able to solve the QB problem without using a first is ideal.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Be very careful what you ask for because you might just get it. Fitz was what he was and no one should have been surprised at what we saw out there. Yes: His arm isn't the strongest; His accuracy is spotty; He's slow reading defenses. But this you saw when he was at Buffalo and the Titans. His biggest liability was that teams were able to force him into having to make plays while clearly he's not capable of doing that. He's played about as well as he's always played which while not great certainly wasn't putrid garbage. As for Mallett, I agree with the poster who compared him to a scratch off lottery ticket. No matter what happens in the last 7 games, I still expect them to take a QB in the first round next year.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG][[/QUOTE]

LOL Thats my quarterback!

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

One more game in the sense that if he couldn't beat Cle, then it would have been time to take a look at Mallett & Savage. At that point they would have been 4-6 and playing out the string. I recall folks here making the same argument to see Keenum last year and that didn't end very well and the odds are not in Mallett's favor right now. If I had to hazard a guess, I expect him to look a lot like Carr over at the Raiders: some good, some bad, still lose games.

5. thejav

thejav Member

This kid is gonna get killed in the pocket..

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is not totally true. There's no way to know that

One of the big things I want to mention, and it gets overlooked far too much, is that the quarterback is in charge of play calling to a large extent in this offense. Mallett has four years of experience in it. He more than likely has a better handle than Fitz does when it comes to the offense.

Because of that, its almost impossible to say that, with this system, because A happens to Fitz, it will also happen to Mallett. You can't do that. You have to also include B and C also possibly happening, just for the simple fact that Mallett could see something different and audible into a different play on ANY GIVEN play. What you have there is an opportunity to basically have a totally different offense with each quarterback. What that means is that this offense could either totally ignite with Mallett, or the bottom could completely fall out on it.

Its easy to say that Mallett will get sacked a ton. I was in the camp, too, in the beginning. Fact is, there's no way to know until he plays. There are a ton of little things that people overlook, like what I am talking about here.

My money is, given his time in the system, Mallett will make the offense either just as good, if not somewhat to significantly better. Basically, I have no idea what to expect, but I don't expect it to be any worse. And that's why this move is ready to be made. The bye week just made it the perfect time. That's why I said it'd happen.

This being said, I'm pumped I'll be there in Cleveland.

#106 Two Sandwiches, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm agreeing with you. I don't want to see Fitz ever again. We do need to see what Mallet has because Fitz was done two seasons ago. I just think folks should temper expectations.

8. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Hoping for the best, expecting more of the same. It is the Texans' way

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The reason for the change is that we know what we have in Fitz but we don't know what we have in Mallet. Your are going to need some experience with him to make informed choices going forward i.e. whether to sign him longer term or spend a #1 next year on a QB.

I also would not be shocked if Savage gets game 16 and 17 depending on whether those two wins can get you a wildcard.

10. Apps

Apps Member

It's more entertaining to watch a young unknown who is terrible than an old known who is terrible. That is really the only reason I wanted a QB change to begin with. Mallett is not likely to be a good quarterback, but at least now we don't have to watch a played-out journeyman taking the snaps. If we're going to suck, let's at least be intriguing.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not saying the kid is the next Tom Brady, but why are people saying he's not likely to be good again?

I don't expect a ton from him. I expect him to make our offense better, without a doubt, though.

How soon we forget. Just a few years ago, this kid was talked about as a possible number one quarterback in the draft. Actually, if I remember correctly, maybe even the #1 pick. Then, viscous rumors got floated around and he fell. Then, he studied under one of the greaterlst coaches and greatest quarterbacks ever.

He's only been with the team about 10 weeks. Our coach is being cautious with him. He wouldn't have traded for him if he wasn't intrigued. And he's seen him play. He's just been bringing him along slowly. That's exactly what should have been done, yet people think that means he's trash.

I'm just looking for reasons for optimism. I don't see much not to like about Mallett starting. I think we should expect some good things from him. And I don't think I should be in the minority for that.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick held on to the ball way too long. The key for Mallett success is to make the hot reads and get rid of the ball quickly since he's not mobile.

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Haters gonna hate! People who were willing to stick by Fitz and are against this move dont deserve a winning team.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I can't imagine him looking as bad as Carr. While he has had very limited snaps he has been in practice for NFL teams for several years.

With that said I feel you on where you're coming from, but at the end of the day -- would that 1 game have made a difference? If we win, okay great 1 more win. At the end of the day we would have still had **** for a QB.

At least now they're admitting it's an issue and looking elsewhere, Fitzpatrick blows. Nice guy, very intelligent, but can't throw a football worth a damn.

If nothing else this may move us up a couple spots in the draft next year.

15. MystikArkitect

Sometimes? Almost all the time. The reason QB is so important is because in football you will have injuries to your D and Oline, mental lapses and penalties. It's nice to sometimes have a false start or holding and not immediately come to the conclusion that your drive is over. 1 guy (QB) playing well often means the other 20 guys don't have to. 1 guy (QB) playing awfully means the other 20 guys have to play perfect.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hammer Time!

17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Im excited yall, at least the first 1 or 2 games should be interesting again.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

People putting their hope in Ryan Mallet don't deserve a winning team

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

What about Ryan Fitzpatrick? Ten years. Ten years. He has had every conceivable opportunity to prove that he is an excellent or even good NFL QB, but hasn't done it. Mallet has NEVER had a chance in the league, never. I say give him the chance. If he fails then you look elsewhere. But what if he surprises and does really well? I am glad he gets a chance.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Nice to see the Texans have officially come to grips with the fact a Ryan Fitzpatrick led team will never make the playoffs.