1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Anderson & Eric Gordon Standing Shooting From Mars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RestHarden, Jan 22, 2018.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

5/5 thread
    deserves its own thread
    would read again

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

teams aren't dumb, they are taking away the more open looks EG and Ryno had last season, pushing them more and more away from the 3 point line. EG does not have unlimited range imo, he's better if he's close to the 3 point line instead of heaving it from way back. His shot doesnt have enough arc to always be shooting from so far away.

This is allowing Gordon to drive and finish though so I don't see it as a bad thing. Maybe teams will eventually back up from him and he will have better looks again.

the thing about Gordon is that he doesn't have a middle game, he either shoots threes or drives straight to the hole.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

idiog/idiom
    (deserves its own gif, meme)
    @don grahamleone

#43 hakeem94, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Defenses don’t follow him 3-5 feet behind the 3 pt line. Get real.

No one is hugged up on him that far out otherwise he wouldn’t be shooting those shots and missing all the time.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

This p___y too scared to shoot during games.

D-rock, deb4rockets and hakeem94 like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's crazy! Wish he would stop hesitating so much during games and just let it fly! We need a "Let it fly" chant over the speaker system at Toyota Center every time our guys get the ball. Maybe that will pump him up.

Rocket River and D-rock like this.
  8. j@amc

j@amc Member

There's a fascinating (and I do mean fascinating) piece by Justin over at Nylon Calculus on the Rockets spacing. His math and geometry are off the charts, and his graphics make total sense. The short of it, is, when Anderson or Gordon take that extra 2 or 3 steps back, they exponentially increase the space in which defenders have to work alone. And if get out a ruler, it's way more than you think.

For example, if players are positioned in the corners and wings with PnR man around the free throw line, the defenders have to cover 26.1 feet between Rockets and 782 square feet in total. As a reference point, though Basketball 101 tells me to put a guy in the low post, our distance equation shrinks to 24.7 feet and 543 square feet the moment I do that.

By contrast, move one guy on the corner back to 28 feet and here's the equation change: 26.6 feet between players, 820 square feet. That's 38 feet gained between players simply having one player take 2 steps back.

To me, it's a genius move (and Justin thinks so too) since Gordon and Anderson are no more accurate standing right on the line than they are at 28 feet. Given game conditions, If they don't rush their shot and are relatively uncontested, the percentages are likely the same.

The only problem that I see with more space between players is that the passes are longer, and thus make us more susceptible to turnovers. We see this all the time, as the Rockets can be pretty lazy about how they move the ball. That's also led to this weird dribble into place and space offense. The logic here is if we don't pass, we won't have TOs. But when we face a team like Miami that rotates well and actually commits to defending the drive, we have a number of pretty uninspired possessions.

Presently, we're now getting great movement in and out of PnR combinations. If we can add a few other tweaks on the backside of plays, we'll really keep people guessing. I hope we can continue to add in more wrinkles off the ball (like cutters, back screens, quick post ups, etc.).

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. Interesting bit of info there. The upside of the space between players making us more susceptible to turnovers is that we have two of the best passers in James and Chris.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it may not be fair and would destroy the league if they both start shooting well... kinda like when kd moved to gsw :)

11. Game7

Game7 Member

Mr. Bungle. ALL DAY!

Rock Block likes this.
  12. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yes sir, waaaaaay over heads....always good to run into old MP heads.....squeeze me macaroni

Game7 likes this.
  13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Caught them down in Tuscon last August, crazy core sh*t.

Nice to see Clutch Fans has a wide varied audience of members, I'm an old Public Enemy head all the way to sh*t like DC, Fantomas, Peeping Tom, Tomohawk, you name it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Game7 likes this.
  14. Game7

Game7 Member

Tomahawk was an amazing live band. Any chance you saw Jesus Lizard at Day for Night? That was a good time.

15. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Anderson still throwing bombs from way downtown but Gordon has really moved up to the line.

There's no question Gordon has read my thread.

Anderson has probably read it as well, but he's ignored my advice. I thought more of Anderson. He looks like a nice guy. Looks can be deceiving. . . .

It's completely unnecessary to be shooting them from as far back as they do sometimes. Not a defender anywhere near them. They do it because they think they can. But they cannot shoot it as well from back that far . . . it's just not possible.

And, low and behold, they generally miss when I have to wince and watch.

Just another thing on Gordon quickly. They say that the Rockets have the best backcourt in the league. We (yes we) have the best starting backcourt. But we well and truly have the best backcourt including non-starters. Nothing comes close to Harden, Paul and Gordon. Not even close.

#55 RestHarden, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Anderson shooting better the last two games but you can see teams are trying to cover him more(even on the longest of looks)

it is opening things up for Harden and Paul to drive

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

inconclusive evidence that man is actually Ryan Anderson. Probably some stunt double.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

or perhaps he had a concussion

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Gordon shot from a crazy distance last night, kept shooting from further away. He was hot, should’ve gotten more shots.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he didnt want to, because deb4rockets

vlaurelio likes this.