1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Russell Westbrook tells fan: "I'll f*ck you up, you and your wife"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Mar 11, 2019.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

NBA just imposed a 1 year ban on the hero you're defending

417Rocket likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can see the racist, loser fan saying things worthy of receiving the ban that he got. He’s such a POS.

3. 417Rocket

417Rocket Member

That dude is not right or Utah fans

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I guess it will be must see tv the next time OKC plays in Utah.

jbhudsontx likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Great piece by him. Much of it will be overlooked and written off by the very people he's trying to reach out to, but glad he said something.

tobster and RayRay10 like this.
  7. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Great read. Probably deserves it's own topic.

RayRay10 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty good read

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a good piece, but he lost me with this section:

"As white people, are we guilty for the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are."

Sorry, but I don't play that game. I believe a person is responsible for their own actions, not those of men who lived hundreds of years ago and happened to have the same skin color. The cops who injured Thabo? They're guilty and responsible. The fan who yelled the hateful remark at Westbrook. He's guilty and responsible.

King1, bmelo, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree. But what is the context? Does he mean responsible as far as do something about? Meaning to continue to help black people be successful?Education and academics needs to continue to be pushed for in my opinion.

rocks123 likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

I read the article after initially giving you a thumbs up on this comment. I took that away after reading it. While I don't agree with EVERYTHING stated in the article, I commend him for speaking to his "unique" experience as a white man minority in a sport dominated by people of color.

Essentially, how he defined "responsible" was to be aware, to listen, to empathize more, to not jump to conclusions with those that don't share your skin color. I think EVERYONE should be doing these things.

Does that mean you have to carte blanche accept everything thrown at you? No not at all. But do I think it's the only way to lead to dialogue that can resolve our racial inequities for all? Yeah, I think so. At least that's the way I see it.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's a pretty good article, but if you are seriously trying to reach people with this message, using the term white privilege is a terrible way to go about it. People going through their day to day struggles don't want to hear how f**king "privileged" they are, even if elements of it are very true.

You might as well title the article don't bother reading, just get angry and buy another MAGA hat.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fail. No.

Assuming responsibility for circumstances beyond one's control is actually called "being a grown up"

I have this discussion with my young children all the time. Something not being your fault does not make it not your problem.

burnshroom, rocks123, xaos and 2 others like this.
  14. MD_in_Training

Please define "assuming responsibility."

Until that is done, no rational conversation could be had regarding this topic.

15. sefant77

sefant77 Member

In Michael Moore "Where to invade next" is a really really great piece about exactly this topic: How future generations should "handle" the dark moments in their countries history. He compares the way the germany/young germans threat the Holocaust and how the USA threats the native american genocide and slavery. Love or hate Moore, but that 5min part is spot on.

It starts around minute 54:00. Dont know if this link is illegal, if so i remove it: https://www.documentarymania.com/player.php?title=Where to Invade Next

#535 sefant77, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think it's a beginning.

When we're all more consistent and vocal of things we feel are wrong rather than just assuming from a headline or soundbite, it will gradually melt down the lines groups have drawn and aren't able to cross.

Being aware of how you look and the assumptions random people put upon your role in society is a pill to swallow for some people.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

"Responsible" is the wrong word to use then. He should've said "empathetic" or "aware" like you did. That's the problem. I don't actually know if he meant what you're saying or if he really did mean that white people in 2019 are actually responsible for some of the founding fathers of this country having owned slaves. And in a time when a major political party in America appears to be onboard with reparations legislation, I can no longer just assume that Korver meant the former.

Something can still be your problem even if it isn't your fault. And if it's directly affecting your life or the lives of people close to you, then yes, you should deal with it. But that's not what Korver is talking about here. He's saying white people are responsible(his word) for the sins of our forefathers. I can only assume he means slavery given the subject matter of his piece. And that's an absurd statement.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's fine, my kids find it absurd when I tell them they're responsible for cleaning up the playroom if they want to watch Pokemon even though ti was the other kid who dumped over the legos.

One day they will learn, I hope.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Do you extend that same line of logic to minorities today? For example, do you hold the proportionally higher incarceration rates of blacks in the U.S. against black people you encounter randomly? To ask more clearly do you, on a visceral level, see the average black person as a person and not a representation of black criminals?

I'd argue, from experience, most people do not.....even though they desire the same level of discernment from others.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The next level is when I see black people I have bartended or served with over the years not want to help black people because they do not tip well. Wrap your head around that in relation to what you are talking about.