1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor CP3 may choose Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballplayer, May 23, 2017.

1. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

[​IMG]

LaMarcus may not like to be pushed by this dude, but I know Deandre would be mad as hell not being pushed by this dude. Well maybe not he has his money now and commercial money to.

2. Homey the Clown

Definitely would give Spurs a slight defensive boost. Bring Parker off the bench. Aldridge can take a soft walk elsewhere.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors...ghs-in-on-the-chris-paul-to-spurs-speculation

During an interview with ESPN's Kevin Arnovitz on his podcast on Tuesday, colleague Zach Lowe said he thinks there is legitimacy behind the speculation that Paul will go to the San Antonio Spurs next season.

"There's been a lot of rumblings about Chris Paul, and I think that's real," Lowe says. "I think there's mutual interest there. I don't know how real it is given the Clippers can offer a gigantic amount of money and are also a really good team; and the Spurs, like I said, have no sort of cap flexibility to get there. I'm very curious about what they do this summer and who's on the team next year."

Paul, who recently turned 32, still looks good even as a veteran. Will he choose to opt out of his contract and head to San Antonio in hopes of being on a championship-caliber team? Or, will he stay put and continue to be one of the NBA's most decorated players without the most coveted decoration of all -- a championship ring?

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

CP3 is going to give up a mountain of money AND leave living in LA for San Antonio?

Complete nonsense. Nobody would make that decision.

5. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think at this point in his career he just wants to win a ring. CP3 is already one of the highest paid dudes in the league when it comes to endorsements, he's made plenty of money.

It wouldn't be a shock to me at all if he leaves money on the table to go play for Pop in San Antonio. Which other teams are out there that have any sort of realistic shot to beat Golden State? If he joins up with Leonard, LMA and Pop he will have a legit shot at it, imo.

BigggReddd, Sajan, RyanB and 4 others like this.
  6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Disagree.

CP3 is a competitor in search of the ever-elusive championship legacy. He's tired of the narrative being carved around his lack of postseason success. He is not Carmelo.

Besides, dozens of NBA players make their home in LA during the offseason and shoot commercials, while simultaneously building their brand playing in non-glamorous cities.

The notion that LAC is the end-all, be-all for winning titles has loudly been dispelled.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You all realize CP3 is eligible for the super max of $200+ million over 5 years, right? If it weren't for that, I'd say there was a chance of him leaving.

I know how competitive he is but that kind of money trump's everything.

8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

If he were a younger guy I would agree with you. However, he's already making close to $30 million per year just on endorsements. He's basically the spokesman for State Farm. He's made a **** ton of money so far and will continue to make it even after he retires. If his decision comes down to making $60 million less on his contract he will likely choose the option that gives him the best chance to win.

This guy is going to have a long career on television even after he retires. He's not worried about the money, trust me.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Easy for you to say.

I would have trouble moving to a zero city like San Antonio from Houston, much less from LA.

arabrocket likes this.
  10. threepointshot3

Wise decision. They are already a defensive powerhouse so all they are lacking is another playmaker to help Leonard out. This makes them really, really tough.

True Rocket likes this.
  11. basketballholic

CP3 is looking around. Spurs are just one possibility.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's hard to see Paul walking away from that money. As president of the Players Union, wasn't he a central figure in the negotations for that kind of salary?

13. malakas

malakas Member

I don't believe it. MUCH less money, much worse city and I don't think he will like working with Pop.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I would if i would want to win after i already earned like 200M $ and i'm labeled as a loser...and btw other players already decided to pick winning ahead of money, it's not like it has never happened.

RyanB and Richie_Rich like this.
  15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even with cp3 spurs can't beat warriors. Maybe he will join up and form the banana boat team.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but there's no guarantee he wins a ring if he goes to San Antonio. David West left a buttload of cash on the table to sign with the Spurs. How did that work out? The Spurs won't have that much cap flexibility this summer unless they dump salary and that may include Aldridge. So Paul would have to sacrifice a lot of money to go there. And BTW, just 2 years ago when healthy, the Clippers beat the Spurs in the playoffs. So who's to even say he'd be leaving for a better situation?

17. Fantasma Negro

If this is true then the Clips will begin a fire sale and Darnell Mosby better be trying to get Jordan. http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m3uodv4 I would send Llull to the Clippers as well

#17 Fantasma Negro, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Williamson likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let the Ring Chasing Begin!

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hopefully his zero CF appearances continues, but probably not.

20. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Even if CP3 doesn't sign. Murray is already starting to show glimpses of that next generation of Spurs guards.