1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron's Playoff Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Save for Deke, Ron has the most playoff experience of any player on our Rockets squad. While this is a good thing, his numbers aren't exactly pretty.

The only time he's shot 40% in the playoffs was in 2002, when the Pacers could still rely on Reggie Miller as a consistent scoring threat.

In 2004, when the Pacers made it to the ECF and lost against the Pistons, he averaged 18 and a half a game, but only made 38% of his shots across 15 playoff games. With Sacramento's one first round exit, he fared about the same across 5 games.

What's really troubling is that, in 31 total playoff games, he's averaging a dismal 33.6% from three-point land. Granted, 2008-2009 has been statistically his best shooting season from long range, but given that our Rockets team tends to live and die from the arc, these stats aren't a comforting thing to see.

I pray that Ron can keep his psyche in check during the playoffs and shelve that gunslinging mentality and questionable shot selection. While his clutch threes have kept us alive in some games, there's just as many where he's chucked us right out of the game. It's frustrating enough in the regular season, but I'll probably rip a handful of hair out for every contested jumper he takes with 18 second left on the shot clock in the playoffs.

Just some thoughts to chew on, because I really think that our team will live and die with Ron's consistency this post-season. Obviously, we need our role players to be bringing the same fire they've brought all season, but Ron's in a position to lead this team, either to victory or defeat.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ron's value is not on offense but on toughness and defense, unfortunatly, Ron himself, doesn't realize this.....

DD

3. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

The Rockets live or die on Yao, not Artest. When Yao scores 20+, the Rockets are 32-3 this season.

It means when Yao scores well, it puts enormous pressure on the defense of opponents and opens up the game for his teammates.

4. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed. When he goes rogue on offense he's like SF3 on juice and hurts the team big time.

DR

5. DaDakota

Steve was a far more efficient offensive player than Ron.....and I hated that one on 5 crap.

DD

6. nyu3

nyu3 Member

More bad shots from Artest = less likelihood of Yao scoring 20+

7. DaDakota

Ron is the new Rafer.

DD

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Nah, Yao will get his FGAs if he doesnt kick the ball out so often. Yao needs to be more aggressive and selfish.

9. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Of course. But Yao can't do it alone, and we all know that Yao will bring the consistency into the postseason. But Ron's a wild card and has been our second option since Tracy went down, so I think his temperament and his ability to take and make good shots will dictate our success.

And I forgot all about Barry in my original post. He has more playoff experience than Artest, but he contributes so little it slipped my mind.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, even if Steve dribbled the ball a **** load, at least he could eventually get to the basket. Ron, his ugly dribbling will sometimes get him there and sometimes it won't.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

If you look at his career stats that's pretty much consistent with how well he's always shot from 3. Especially during that 4 year span. I think he's having the Jason Kidd effect. Now his 3's...except when he goes crazy...are far more part of the offense instead of just a last second rush shot. He's getting mroe open 3pt shots playing with Yao than he did when he was the main option.

That's the only way I can think to explain it at least.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not even close. Rafer has never shot better than 40 percent for a season. Artest has never shot worse than 40 percent.

Rafer blows big time.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The worse part is he loves the 3 ball.

When he drives in? Good news, but if he does it through excessive ISO like what he loves? We're not going anywhere for playoffs.

Just imagine McGrady playing his regular season self (not his playoff self) without the assists. That is what you'll get on Ron's offense.

On defense? As long as he keeps his head, we're fine. If he loses it, the opponents will look towards the charity stripe. Not to mention, he loves gambling on defense, and sometimes you just want Battier defending more than Ron.

14. mich

mich Member

You are exactly right, DD!

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We NEED an efficient Ron on offense if we are to make a run in the playoffs.
    Defense won't be enough. Teams will be gearing to take Yao and to a lesser extent Luis out.

16. DaDakota

Yep yep.

DD

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You're only dealing with a portion of the info. The thread is about historic playoff shooting stats. What Yao has done in the playoffs is more important than watered down regular season games where you play sub .500 teams more often than WC playoff teams.

18. DaDakota

Gater,

You see this post?

It is not pretty.....

DD

19. blender

blender Member

Artest has to remember to keep attacking the paint and not fall in love with his jump shots and heat checks. As long as he and Brooks stay agressive and put pressure on the defense, we should be able to live with a certain amount of bad shots.

The worse thing would be to have them start overthinking their shots and become tentative.

20. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

And Rafer played good for the team, Artest doesn't do that in a lot of games.

Anyway and considering myself an Artest hater (I admit it) I think he's gonna be better in playoffs, being a force inside offensively, and finally showing his true offensive potential. In playoffs everyone gives his everything.