1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want Morris!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketSiv, Jan 3, 2000.

1. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

According to the the local talk show hosts this morning. Basically they said that the Rockets are looking for a small forward in the draft and Terrance Morris is at the top of their list. Another possibility could be Chris Porter or any other explosive small forward but Morris is the top dog for them thus far.

2. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

Francis3,

Morris is a small forward not a power forward. By the way, here are their numbers so we can compare.

PPG RPG APG SPG BPG
    Morris 16.8 7.9 3.2 1.5 2.9
    Martin 16.9 8.6 1.5 0.9 2.8

There are two things that immediately come to mind when looking at these two players. First, as a small forward, Morris would give you some rebounds and blocks that you wouldn't normally expect from that position. It's also important to note that Morris plays tougher competition in the ACC than does Martin in Conference USA.

------------------
    Rockets When? Rockets When?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Terence Morris

16.8 Points Per Game
    7.9 Rebounds Per Game
    3.2 Assists Per Game
    56.4 % Field Goal %
    36.0 % 3-Point %
    75.0 % Free Throw %
    32.4 Minutes Per Game
    79 Field Goals Made
    140 Field Goals Attempted
    9 3-Point FGs Made
    25 3-Point FGs Attempted
    51 Free Throws Made
    68 Free Throws Attempted
    31 Offensive Rebounds
    72 Defensive Rebounds
    103 Total Rebounds
    42 Assists
    31 Fouls
    19 Steals
    36 Turnovers
    37 Blocks
    218 Points
    13 Games
    421 Minutes Played

I am impressed with his stats. Haven't seen in person, but others tell wonderful stories. Good shot blocker, scorer, rebounder, passer, FT shooter. Not heard one bad thing about him, but see 36 turnovers in 13 games. Not horrible, but not good either. I have heard he will be 1, 2 , or 3.

He was Francis's teammate at Maryland. Erick Barkley and Ron Artest stopped them in the tournament. Remember the name Barkley. He will be high if he comes out.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Nice numbers.. I know he is small forward but look at the damn weight, he needs to gain weight for a guy 6'9 weighing that much.

5. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

send him over to t-ham,stanley, and pig miller summer camp for skinny people.

6. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

You guys scared the hell out of me. I though you meant Chris Morris.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think Morris will go before our pick (wherever that may be) to be honest ... few quotes on Morris from around the NCAA:

"Terence Morris is one of the dominating players in college basketball. He does everything well. He has amazing ability and a true finesse about his game that you don't see from too many players in college basketball. I love his game because he seems to do everything so effortlessly. He is a true prime time player and will be an All-American this season."
    Dick Vitale
    ESPN/ABC Sports

"He's the best forward at Maryland since Len Bias and one of the top All-America candidates in college basketball this season. He could be best front court player in America."
    Dick Weiss
    New York Daily News

"Terence is the best player in the ACC. There are very few people in college basketball who can shoot the three like he does, can dunk as he can and score from anywhere in between. He's a frontcourt player who is dangerous from the four spot and can score effectively inside. He is as quick and cam move. He reminds me of Richard Hamilton because he can score from so many different places."
    Dan Bonner
    ESPN/Jefferson Pilot Sports

"Every once in a while you have a player where you don't see any ceiling to his game. Terence has a chance to be great, and I don't say that about a lot of players."
    Gary Williams
    University of Maryland

"We felt we really needed to control Morris. And we could not. He can shoot the three, he puts the ball on the floor, he gets to the rim. He is something special."
    Homer Drew
    Valparaiso University
    During the 1999 NCAA Tournament

"He'll be Scottie Pippen-like in the NBA, except that he's taller. If he had Pippen's strength, which he'll have one day, the sky's the limit."
    Dave Odom
    Wake Forest University

"There's not one thing lacking in his game. In terms of passing, shooting, dribbling and running skills for a guy who is 6-foot-9, he's got all of it."
    Gary Williams
    University of Maryland

"I have not seen a smoother performer during the 1998-99 season than Terence Morris. People can say that he is not as physical as many players around the nation but he is as talented as any play I have seen. He shoots the ball so well, can put it on the floor and finishes at the goal with incredible ability. I think he is an absolute star."
    Jay Bilas
    ESPN

"Think of Terence Morris as, say, a sculpture in progress. He started his college career as a block of clay, and he's going to end it as a fine piece of work. But you can't hurry art. It takes time for the finished product to become evident."
    John Eisenberg
    Baltimore Sun

"He's one of the outstanding young players in our league. He raised the level of his game, from his freshman year to his sophomore year, measurably. He's a much more comfortable all-court player. He'll be Scottie Pippen-like in the NBA, except that he's taller.

"Morris is definitely not your average power forward. It's a given that Francis and Profit were two of the quickest wings in college, but is there a fleeter four man than Morris? Beefier big men have tried to bang on him, but Morris is the one who presents matchup problems."
    Paul McMullen
    The Baltimore Sun

"Terence Morris has been one of the most consistent players in the ACC throughout his career. He should be a dominant player in the league as a junior. If I were starting a team of college players, he would certainly be one of my first picks."
    Tim Brant
    ABC/Jefferson Pilot Sports

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

BoyHoodDream - That is exactly what i thought.

Man this is going to be tough, should the rockets tank and try to get a good pick or should they try to make the playoffs?!!

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Morris only needs 10 to 15 more pounds to be able to play the SF spot in the NBA well. He uses his speed and leapers to beat people. Players bulk up in the NBA.

Who is going to post him up? Vince Carter. No. Pippen? no Rice? no

Garnett weighs 220 at his height. The T-wolves should just cut him.

My point is that I know Morris is light, but I don't think he is that light. He will add a few pounds in the NBA when it is his job and he doesn't have to study. The boy can play. Clear cut.

Can the rockets get him? They need some serious luck.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

and to seriously suck joe joe.

11. popeye

popeye Member

Dang,Clutch, you may know what your talking about. Good arguement. Why don't you get a webstation, start a fan based BBS or something?

Snicker. [​IMG]

12. MarylandFan

MarylandFan Member

What's with this love affair between the Rockets and the Terrapins? You guys already have 3 Maryland Terps (Francis, Williams, Massenburg) and now there's talk about yet another.

Sorry --- but Morris won't be playing for the Rockets next season. He'll be back with Maryland playing out his senior year.

Truly, it will surprise me if he decides to enter the NBA draft early. He's one of the few who doesn't care about ego nor money.

A quality player with a quality charcter. Gary Williams was correct in stating that this guy really has no ceiling to his game. Whichever team lands him in the 2001 draft will have a superstar on their hands.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

MarylandFan --

Is that like Steve Francis saying he would be back for sure? You may have a point, but you just never know by season's end.

The ironic part if the Rockets drafted him: This season they are saying Morris is finally getting out from under the shadow of Steve Francis (and Laron Profit). He'd be back with Francis again.

4 Maryland players on the Baltimore Rockets. It has a ring to it.

14. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

I think the two other guys who come to my mind if we can't get Morris are Chris Mihm and Jason Collier. Of course, we'll have to get past the number one Clutchcity.net BB belief:

White=unathletic

When I saw someone compare Mihm to Montross I almost burst a lung. At any rate, I think these two guys will be solid NBA players and at least one of them should be available when we pick. If Loren Woods decides to go pro he could be someone to look at too. Martin is just too short for my liking.

------------------

15. MarylandFan

MarylandFan Member

Clutch,

You're right -- you never know what millions of dollars will do to a promise to stay. But I still give a lot more credit to Morris' word than Francis'.

I must admit, I have been following the Rockets a lot more since you guys got Steve Francis.

Acquire Joe Smith from Minnesota, Obinna Ekezie from Vancouver and Laron Profit from the Wizards --- and then I'll start to think conspiracy. However by then I'll be a die hard Rockets fan [​IMG]

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Damn, No kenyon Martin!!!!

How has morris been playing this year?

17. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

Francis3,

Morris is a better player than Martin. He does all the things that Martin does (rebound, block shots) but also shoots from the outside and penetrates.

------------------

18. Francis3

Francis3 Member

If Terrence Morris ever wants to be a houston rocket then he better hit the weight room. He is 6'9 and weighs 205.

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

"Maryland players on the Baltimore Rockets. It has a ring to it."

YEA, like when your alarm goes off for work and you just got a 2 hours of sleep after a night out partying.

Anyone ever think the Rockets might get a lottery pick and trade it for more picks in the draft? Just an idea.

As for the Rockets drafting Chris Mihms or Jason Collier, I highly doubt either of those guys will contribute to putting the Rockets over the hump and get them back to being contenders for the NBA title year in and year out.

What the Rocks need are some quality, experienced veterans and a decent rookie that has alot of upside. Someone athletic WITH a very good shot that is not afraid to make his presense felt immediately.

------------------
    We don't need no stinking badges!!! We need some stinking WINS!!!

20. Swoopes22

Swoopes22 Member

instead of Terrence Morris, how about Morris Peterson? OK, he's only 6'6 but a solid 215lbs. (so is Vince Carter) He's playing great for MSU. In the second round they should get Gee Gervin from UH.