1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Michael Beasley to Bucks for Tyler Ennis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Sep 22, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Here's a 'yes, but' that has been bothering me: If Ennis was so unloved in Brewtown then why didn't Beez also bring back (at least) a pick?

2. Rocket_Man_2.0

We traded a potential 6th man of the year candidate for a d-league scrub pg. Ultra advanced statistics would show..it’s the offensively challenged players Beasley had to play with (Corey Brewer, McDaniels, etc...is the real reason scoring dropped). Beasley was one of the few players that could score consistently. The guy we traded for has 3rd string backup potential...Beasley has all star potential. Rockets aren't as deep as people think...and the players that can score have injury concerns...we should’ve kept Beasley..he’s going to beast in Milwaukee! Rockets don’t keep their talented players. This move is even worse than cutting Marcus Thornton for no reason! Rockets are gonna regret this one!

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually Beasley sucked when he played alongside the starters and he sucked playing against 3rd stringers. He's just not a good basketball player.

nortyboi3 likes this.
  4. nortyboi3

nortyboi3 Member

Stop living in the past mate. Beasley does not have all star potential.

5. Rocket_Man_2.0

Some players are late bloomers...look at Zach Randolph and the player he turned into. 27 is not old..Beasley has a lot of good basketball left!

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I just don't get this move beasley is way ahead of this guy who's showed nothing in the league.

7. nortyboi3

nortyboi3 Member

"Beasley was one of the few players that could score consistently"

8 Michael Beasley Starter PF 20:49 3-15 0-2 1-2 3.5 3.0 6 9 3 4 2 0 2 7

3-15 was first game of Summer League against Atlanta......

8. valorita

valorita Member

We picked up Beasely for nothing from China.
    Basically got a recent mid tier 1st round pick player at a position of need for free.

Making something from nothing, whether Ennis pans out of not, is a win.

jamisonrocket and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL I forgot to add that he was terrible against Summer League opponents too. There's just not a scenario where Beasley is a good basketball player at the NBA level.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just like the D&D, some extremists in here on both sides, all idiotic. But you guys already know that.

11. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Before a Beasley supporter jumps up and down, forget how much of a "bright spot" he was for us last year. This is a new year!
    Our team is being taken into a new direction by management (for better or worse).

So what is the new direction? What is the new philosophy that D'antoni is instilling? Who out of Beasley and Ennis fits into this new philosophy?

Beasley is not one to flourish with a ball movement system. He's a black hole. He plays solid ISO offense, and it worked well for him last year when we had a coach with no system or vision in place, and no one who could get his own shot outside of Harden.

While I don't believe D'antoni ball is the winning formula and I hated the D'antoni signing, I have come to embrace that it is what it is, and we have to build a team that best fits his system.

I agree, Ennis is not proven while Beasley is. In a bubble, Beasley is better than Ennis without question BUT... Ennis fits all the preqrequisites of an average guard who flourishes and gets better under D'antoni.

Just another thing, Nash on his own is not an NBA MVP caliber player. His court vision and shooting capitalized the D'antoni system and made him the NBA MVP. D'antoni turned him from an All-star to an MVP. Just like he turned Lin from a bench player to a 3-week superstar. Just as he turned Kendall Marshall from a D-Leaguer to a roleplayer/above average PG.

Ennis looks like he could at least be like Lakers Kendall Marshall. Maybe he can be like Ish Smith (man I wish we got him back after getting D'antoni).

roslolian likes this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

Beasley would probably spend a lot more time on the bench under D'Antoni. At least with the Bucks, he'll get more PT.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So Morey has been way above average at analyzing PG's, and MDA's PG's have always performed above expectations. Morey studied this guy's college career and probably acquired a ton of information about his personality back then. Two years later after consulting with NBA coaches/players, he still liked the guy. MDA surely agreed to this trade after seeing stats and tape and, as he mentioned in the interview today, asking previous coaches about him (probably current Bucks assistant Tim Grgurich who was his colleague and then later became one of his assistants in Phoenix). It doesn't hurt that Ennis spent last season being coached by one of the best PG's to ever play the game, Jason Kidd. Nor that another of the greatest PG's ever occasionally acts like a mentor to him, Steve Nash, who also has strong ties to MDA.

There will be patterns in a sample size of 1,066 minutes that you may not notice when watching games because the minutes are so inconsistent and spread out. Heck, even the player might not be aware of patterns in those circumstances. More likely, there was nothing statistically significant that indicated he would be good or bad except gradual improvement over sparse minutes over two years.

Morey has better stats than we do obviously, probably better stats and statistical analysis than the Bucks do too. Kidd's willingness to take risk changed just since Middleton got injured. So Kidd was holding out for a better acquisition than Beasley - so if you're alleging this was a good trade for the Bucks, then what do you have to say about the fact that the kid's coach wanted an even better deal?

If you're going to take this bet with anyone, it's going to be Morey and MDA rather than Kidd. The Bucks fell into a situation that made him reconsider a trade that has been talked about for a while, and that's a good sign for us. I watched 3 games where this kid played some minutes, and he was certainly not bad, although he was rarely very good. You can see what Anderson and MDA are saying - that he's smart. You can also see that he disappears if he's not in total control of the offense. That is, as often as not, a problem of confidence and system. I'll take that bet for a kid with vision, with decent size, with a shot that is not worse than Beverley's when he first got here. If he doesn't pan out, we lost 1 year of a player we were able to sign for the minimum. Beasley's style is very pleasing to the eye, but not very pleasing to the W-L record. Even if he was going to be sixth man of the year, it would have ultimately no effect on the James Harden contention window as we're not constructed for a championship in the one season where we have Beasley under contract.

This is a very good bet at a position of need. When I say position of need, I'm not talking about PG in 2015-2016. I'm talking about young guards who can become rotation players over the course of years. If the kid wins the backup PG spot, we have at the very least an asset that will allow us to shed Corey Brewer, and it will only have cost us the $$$ of a one year minimum contract rather than what teams have ostensibly been asking for, which is a mid to late first rounder.

I'm happy about this trade. Bottom line: The downside risk in terms of a multi year championship window is nothing, and the upside potential is something.

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

This definitely fits Morey's MO. He was able to get value out of a position we typically have stock of. This time around though we don't have surplus of PF's at our disposal. I wonder who we're aiming to get now since we don't really have a lot of bigs who can pick up the back up PF position... unless we're thinking about bringing Zhou Qi over. I don't have much faith in Dmo at the moment. He's coming back from injury still and still remains to be signed.

15. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

If you still think Marcus Thornton is a difference-maker, I'm not surprised you feel this way. LOL.

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I keep seeing comments about Beasley being our 2nd best scorer and 6th man of the year yada yada. I guess people forgot we picked up 2 guys who specialize in scoring this off season. Beas was fun to watch last year because we sucked and he gave us a bit of life. But he's not a player that should be playing big minutes on a team trying to win. He's a ball hog and a terrible defender.

17. jogo

jogo Member

Most people on this board HATED getting Beasley. Look back at the boards. Tons of smack-talking about how bringing him from China was stupid and took up a very important 15th seat on the bench.

Then Beasley came and looked like a spark and now there's a strong and vocal group that thinks he was a star in the making.

He didn't help our team get better, all the stats show that. And I watched him play every game - losing him does help our team. He is a chucker, doesn't play D, and there really isn't a place for him on this team. As people have said, we have a new team now and there's not a place for him on it. Beasley will be mediocre at the Bucks and no one will care in six months.

I don't think we know much about Ennis; he didn't play much and was mediocre for the most part. But I don't think that makes this a bad trade. You can't trade a mediocre player and expect to get a great player every time.

However, it does seem that Morey has done well with PGs (and MDA too). I think Ennis will at least be serviceable as a 3rd string PG backup. That helps us more than Beas would've.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like all the points that boil down to this:

MDA + Morey/Maury = Positive Things

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Beasely is an ok option off the bench in the regular season, guys like him usually put up good numbers cause in regular season a lot of teams just don't play defense, but when the level of the game goes up like in the playoffs, they suddenly become a negative for your team cause the way they play is a huge benefit for their opponents defense, look at guys like Jamaal Crawford, JR...they're good in making cool plays and good numbers during the regular season, but in the playoffs they always suck cause all they can do is chucking up bad shots (JR played ok this year to be honest, but that's like the first time in 10 years?) so yeah, not a fan ot these kind of players.

20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I never claimed to watch his every game. All I did was point out the fact that his shooting numbers were better after the all-star break. I don't care what you think about those numbers, the numbers are what they are. Yes I know they aren't a high volume of shots but 45% from the floor for the season is a start and IMPROVEMENT after the ASB is even better. Personally I would like a PG on this team to be a passer 1st, that style would fit with Gordon and Anderson. He just needs to be a reasonable threat to make a shot and 45% from the floor for a 21 year old back-up PG on the freaking Bucks is a decent start. Put him with MDA and company and he might shoot 48% this year as a PG. I had this same argument about Goran Dragic when he came over from Miami. He was about the same age, playing back up minutes, shooting about the same percentages. Guess what? Goran got better and showed he can play. Make sure you read this correctly, because I realize context and comprehension this isn't your best ability, I am not saying Ennis will be Dragic. However if MDA and Morey want to give him a look for a small NBA investment then what is it going to hurt.

Act all high and mighty if you want because you watched him play a dozen minutes a night and that makes you an Ennis expert. I'll watch him now as a Rocket IF he gets minutes and then I'll determine if he has any chance to be good in this environment. He's only played in 79 NBA games. Are you gonna tell me that after 79 games and 1 year of college he'll never improve.

BTW A few Syracuse friends had told me his PNR game was very smooth in college and the Rockets brass mentioned the other day they love his PNR game but what would they know.