1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets frontrunners for McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikezamir, Jun 20, 2004.

1. mikezamir

mikezamir Member

Here's what Jonathan Feigen wrote in his latest NBA article. The deal might be finalized by Wednesday. Now all we need are McDyess, Brent Berry, and Derek Fisher.

Rockets lead McGrady suitors

With the Tracy McGrady trading season officially under way, several league sources said the Rockets have emerged as the front-runner to land the NBA scoring champion and that a deal could be done by Wednesday.

Though players involved could change in a variety of ways before a deal is completed, any Rockets trade for McGrady, due $14.4 million next season, would have to include the Rockets' three-time All-Star and former co-rookie of the year Steve Francis.

Francis is considered a "base year" player until July 1, complicating deals involving him. But the teams could work around the difficulties of trading players in their "base year" by including other teams, or by reaching an agreement on a deal to be announced in July, a possibility that seemed to fit with Orlando Magic general manager John Weisbrod's plans.

"I expect to know (by Thursday)," Weisbrod said. "I can't say that I would expect that to be public information. I have every intention of knowing where that's going when we make these (draft) decisions."

McGrady's meeting with Magic owner and Amway founder Rich DeVos on Friday produced the expected results. McGrady told the Magic he still plans to opt out of his contract after next season, but he would like a large supply of household cleaning products.

Because Weisbrod had vowed to deal McGrady rather than go into next season with an "I don't know," Friday's meeting started the clock on McGrady's departure.

"From just the GMs who send unsolicited faxes and leave unsolicited messages, there are enough things out there that will be better than OK in a trade," Weisbrod said. "So I don't think us doing a bad deal is an option. We're not going to do a bad deal."

The Indiana Pacers and Phoenix Suns also have been considered top contenders to land McGrady. Dallas could work its way into the talks.

League sources said even with McGrady, a two-time scoring champion and twice an All-NBA first-team pick, holding an option to terminate his contract after the season, as many as 10 teams have made significant offers.

2. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

To quote Clutch :

Provide a link to the article.

... or don't bother posting it.

4. mikezamir

mikezamir Member

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You rock, Mike. :)

6. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

Thats beautiful.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

hahaha. i thought the article was a hoax due to the combined facts of there being no link and the above line! :D I'm so glad it's no hoax.

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Sounds like It's a done Deal!!.

9. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I guess just need to wait for the July 1st BYC deadline. Darn that's still 10 days away.

If CD pull this off, I guess we can all forget the bad draft/trade choices he made in the past. Eddie Griffin, Cato, Taylor, Jason Collier, Glen Rice, etc etc.

#9 lancet, Jun 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

and especially if they still make use of the TE to bring in a good point guard, power forward or back up center. :D

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

DFish

12. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

PG:Barry or Fisher/

SG:T-MAC

SF:JJ

PF:Howard Or Gooden

C:Yao

Plnty of Of Offense, little weak on defense!. still good enough to compete with anyone on-any-given-night!!

13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

now i feel a lil bit better about the deal going down now

pg barry or fisher/wilks
    sg T-MAC/pike (i think he's going to get pick up in exp draft) (person as a min offer fa)
    sf jj/boki
    pf gooden or howard/taylor/weatherspoon
    c YAO/declareq or street fa (doleac, foyle)

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Maybe the deal has already been done?

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we'll we just aquired ollie from the cavs via the edraft in exchange for pike.

this is most likely just because we need a back-up PG, however it could be the warning sign's of a trade involving a certain PG ;)

16. MONON

MONON Member

The key here is getting Barry or Fisher as the pg. If that happens then I like the deal!

17. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded as if he was saying that the Rockets are the front runners, but any deal from any team involving TMac would be completed by Wed. But again, maybe I read it wrong or I'm not letting myself get to excited until I see it really happens so I dont have my heart broken.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Personaly i dont buy it..... i trust the chron.com more!

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Wow! If there wasn't this whole TMac trade thing that trade to CHicago for the #3 and Davis would be something to think about.