1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets & Dmo working out NEW DEAL

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Dec 9, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Rockets owned this. The Rockets now have total control of DMo's destiny for four years and have an awesome trading piece, something he was trying to avoid allegedly.

He got nowhere close to market value as per basketballholic (and others) predictions. It basically cost Morey 300k to to get him on 3 non-guaranteed years. If DMo is healthy he will be one of the best trade assets in the game this offseason. He's at least good but could be even better than that.

So scenario 1: DMo is either unhealthy or bad this year: He's either cut or included as a trade package to another team who cuts him (salary matching)
    Scenario 2: DMo is good, but not special: He's either kept as a rotational big man or he's a valuable trade piece
    Scenario 3: DMo has a great year: He's either kept as part of our core or he's one of the most sought after trade pieces in the league

In any scenario we are protected against injury (or a team trading for him) with those non-guaranteed years that have post first week of free agency dates.

This is a GREAT contract for the Rockets. Morey couldn't have dreamed he was going to get this deal.

Rashmon, Vivi, vator and 3 others like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

All that holding out for this deal lmao

Good job BJ, you really did your client a great service

vator likes this.
  3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

goobagooginginggochagooboo...

go rockets beat OKC...and that other stuff ?...not caring any more really...play...dont play...give a crap

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Sauces:

Brewer acquired nudes of BJ

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Chaos Sandwich strikes again!

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I don't understand how this deal is better than signing the original offer sheet. Could have had a one year deal and then complete freedom, but instead they got essentially the same $ but have THREE YEARS of team options on the back end.

So if he performs above his contract it only benefits Houston and if he gets injured or underperforms Houston is completely protected.

I love Morey and am one of his biggest fans but this really speaks way more to BJ's incompetence than it does Morey's genius.

Just wow...

7. nobie

nobie Member

Exactly this. His agent is a ****ing r****d. Should have signe qual offer. Be free next summer...Show he can play, get paid huge bucks. Now he has the same risk of getting cut if hes not performing, so why did he ****ing bother so long? Really DMo agent looks like complete lunatic on this one.

8. justtxyank

It's not even the cut thing. They've surrendered all power to Morey.

It will be totally up to Morey what the future of DMo is every year for the next 3 years.
    Keep him? Trade him? Cut him? All three are viable every year and he doesn't have to pull the trigger on a decision until AFTER the first wave of free agency.

This is brutal for DMO.

craguin likes this.
  9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it was a bit more than $300k. The last Rockets offer was allegedly $7m in Year 1 guaranteed, with incentives to bring it to $8m, plus a second unguaranteed year. This one is $8.3m guaranteed, with maybe another $1m in incentives, with 3 more unguaranteed years. So, I think it's another $1.3m, in Year 1, something similar in Year 2 if he wants it. Then he gets 2 more options after that. So DMo won something over the last offer (about $3m over 2 years if he performs, and $1.3m if he sucks), but I think it was a mistake for him to commit to additional unguaranteed years and I agree Morey wins this one hands-down. If he's as good as the DMo fanboys believe, by Year 4 he will be cursing BJ's name.

Hakeemtheking and vator like this.
  10. justtxyank

I don't think that we've seen that there is an extra million in incentives in year 1 have we?

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yeah, I almost feel somebody should jump in and veto this signing (Stern? Silver? Player Union?). I know, I know. That ain't gonna happen.

But damn! What a disservice BJ did to his client.

vator likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hopefully we can trade him to Detroit for a 1st rounder in 3 months.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

It's past the trade deadline. Earliest we can trade him is offseason

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

This may have been answered already. What happens if he fails the physical now? Is he back to RFA status AGAIN?

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This is a fantastic trade piece whether it be after the season or even next season for an expiring allstar player.

Very good deal by morey and much better than the original nets one.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The only way this makes sense is this -- (1) Dmo knows his back won't hold up, which means the team will dump him after year 1, so he is out to maximize guaranteed money this year, and the remaining team options don't matter, and/or (2) Dmo is prepared to pull a Stacey McLady type move, fake/feign/exaggerate injury to ensure this is just a one year money grab.

I tend to think Dmo is an honorable guy, so I think it's (1).

One might think that pulling Option (2) would hurt his subsequent FA value, but you just need one team willing to lay down some cash in FA.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let me speculate and say BJ might have actually wrote the Likely Incentives incorrectly into the offer sheet.

NOTE: (see image below) There is a requirement in Offer Sheets to include a copy of the Nets proposed Uniform Player Contract, *and* another Exhibit separately showing the Principal Terms the ROFR Team is obligated to match. So, maybe some mistake happened, whereby DMo thought the incentives were in the Principal Terms.​

Maybe BJ wrongfully included $4m incentives into the Principal Terms, and Morey was able to show the league office those don't qualify as Principal Terms; hence why Morey had to wait until Monday to match. Had to wait for ruling from league on whether the offer sheet had a technical error in it.

Either that, or he just for whatever reason thought they would count in the match contract, despite not spelled out in the required exhibit for Principal Terms of the ROFR Team to match. If that was true, he just didn't understand the CBA, then.

This is from the CBA:

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Option (1) would also hurt his subsequent FA value. If the Rockets waive his $9m because his back has gone out, it's pretty doubtful he'll be able to find as much elsewhere. In fact, actual health problems like that are a bigger deterrent to an FA offer than a fake injury.

I would think that the League would have reviewed the contract and required amendments if the incentives weren't in the right box, and/or they'd give the Nets a chance to revise once Morey brings it to their attention. So, I lean (B) that BJ didn't understand that those terms outside the Principal Terms didn't have to be matched.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Pretty sure the Rockets would void the deal and just cut their losses.