1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 100% trying to get Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

If i was GM then it would. Love is a bad contractvat this point. Rebuilding teams dont look for c level past their prime maxed out borderline stars.

They want young players, draft picks, and undervalued assets (gordon).

2. malakas

malakas Member

But Love can be traded for a pick. Anyway from what I hear George has agreed to the possibility of sign + extend with the Celtics.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  3. threepointshot3

So much for the theory no star guard wants to play with Harden. Paul is really interested.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry/Stephen the best player combo in the history of the NBA.

Gorki, sammy, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Are you familiar with the phrase "lip service"?

saleem likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paul George's R&E Would Be $94M Over Three Years, Expires When Eligible For 35 Percent Max

In following up on a report that the Boston Celtics could do an extend-and-trade agreement with Paul George and the Indiana Pacers if they manage to sign Gordon Hayward in free agency, Albert Nahmad explained why the scenario makes financial sense.

Under that scenario, George would increase his 17-18 salary from $19.5 million to the $29.7 million maximum and then extend for two additional years, which would mean $94 million over three years.

If George were to wait for six months after the trade, he could extend for four years at $169 million. But Boston would be required to keep the cap space necessary to increase George's salary to the max, which is $10.2 million.

On the renegotiation and extension deal, George would add $74 million over just two seasons and he would be instantly eligible for a 10-year veteran max at 35 percent in the 2020 offseason when he will have turned 30 that May.

While George has preferred to join the Los Angeles Lakers, he can compete for a title with the Celtics while having a financial incentive in both the short-term and long-term. If the Lakers don't trade for George, they can only offer him a four-year deal in 2018 with five percent raises.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/23/celtics/g4bMKcnBQURuu3iPo70RgL/story.html

A source confirmed that Boston was in discussions with the Pacers about George, however, and indicated that the team would have interest in reviving the talks, but is unsure where the Pacers stand in the process.​

Vivi likes this.
  7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why, exactly, would this be lip service? Paul is already being offered the full max by the Clippers, and if he needed outside leverage for anything, he could just use San Antonio (linked to him for months) or any team that already has max cap space. You don't pick a team that doesn't have space AND one that most around the league think is an awkward fit and use them as leverage.

Even if you want to argue that CP3 and James are good friends, which I haven't seen much evidence that they're THAT close... they're certainly not as close as Durant and James, and the Rockets didn't even get a meeting with KD a year ago.

Chris Paul may not pick the Rockets, but the idea that his interest is lip service is beyond strange. He gains nothing from this and is under zero requirement to do so.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Seems we're getting our Pauls mixed up

napalm06, Hakeemtheking and Jontro like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Isn't kinda funny how for the media it was all about "George just wants the Lakers", but reports from Boston are "but he would like the Celtics too"? Maybe it's just me lol

#869 Vivi, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Pen15clubber, malakas and DonKnock like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i hope we get chris paul george.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I hope we get marquese chris paul george hill

Jontro likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now 80% CP and 20% PGeorge.

[​IMG]

#873 daywalker02, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  14. malakas

malakas Member

lol typical boston media. Everyone wants to go there and if they don't then they are losers and not that good anyway.

But whether it's true or not that helps Indiana raise the price. An extended George will require a full price paid. And if Lakers don't want to risk it they better pay up.

Pen15clubber, seeingred and Vivi like this.
  15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Looks like we are already priced out of the Paul George trade market, if a 28 year All-Star is not enough to secure him:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_cavaliers_scribbles_54.html

1. I'm told the Indiana Pacers don't want Kevin Love, at least not right now. Their goal is young players and draft picks. They definitely want to trade Paul George. It would be a shock if they open the season with him on the roster. Indiana knows George will leave via free agency in the summer of 2018.

2. The Pacers did talk to the Los Angeles Lakers about a package starting with Brandon Ingram, but the 19-year-old forward is exactly the kind of athletic player Magic Johnson wants on his team. He averaged 9.4 points and 4.0 rebounds as a rookie last season.

3. I had suggested the Cavs make a three-way deal with Love going to the Boston Celtics for picks, then those draft picks headed to the Pacers for George. One NBA executive told me the problem is the Celtics also want George. He believes Boston could end up being the destination for George because the Celtics have the picks and some young players with appeal to Indiana.

4. It would take too many scribbles to list all of Boston's future first-round draft picks. The Celtics have three in 2018, including ones belonging to the Lakers and Brooklyn Nets. They could have as many as four in 2019 ... and three more in 2020. Some of those picks have conditions attached to them. Bottom line is no team is in better position to trade picks for a veteran player than Boston.

16. threepointshot3

Clint, Dekker and Eric plus a future 1st rounder will do it but that is WAY TO MUCH to give up for a 1 year rental.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well why would they want Kevin Love when they are trying to rebuild? They aren't trying to stay competitive and love while great wasnt a beacon of success as a sole star of the team.

And that's why there were reports of how Cleveland was upset about how little the market favored love. He could not feel a lottery pick, which I'm assuming they were trying to use for a George trade.

On top of that, the report from Indy is that they know they are getting screwed over but they won't get fvcked over. Meaning they absolutely don't to take on dead money contracts.

Not saying we are in a better position for attaining george but that's why I wouldn't rule is out. Albeit I could see us landing love in a geroge trade to cleveland

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Now that would be interesting. You jettison Ryno to make room for CP3 and help Cle attain George while grabbing Love to replace Ryno. Question is would you rather have a PG rental or Love on a contract if it meant giving up the same assets?

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Love would be a great PF fit in MDA system. He also brings defensive rebounding we need and if we trade Ryan Anderson then we still have the 3pt spacing. How much is Love's contract?

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'd prefer Paul George the player. But Kevin Love and his contract make me about even on the both of them. He is lauded for his bad defense, but I was very impressed with his intensity and rotations during the finals. He was not the problem.

Love would be an ideal fit in this offense. Especially if we obtained cp3 in free agency. He provides some passing from the pf spot, the elite spacing is still there and adds elite defensive rebounding that we sorely lack.

I would be ecstatic for both but I could def see a better future with love considering the uncertainty of George.

saleem and Shark44 like this.