1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets #1 in Offense (by far) since benching Melo (27th prior)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 15, 2018.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Fair enough... when you put Melo in the title (as opposed to first 10 games) it drew the conclusion for me - and based on the level of Melo hate that floated around this board - it looked to be another Melo pinata fest... lol

As far as our offense... it's always been about if the 3 ball is dropping... I'd like us to be a little more diversified... utilize the 3 - but work it for higher % buckets first...
    for December:
    32 3pt attempts vs LA (W),
    25 vs Port (W)
    47 vs Dallas (L)
    36 vs Utah (L)
    39 vs Minn (L)
    32 vs Chi (W)
    so based on that random sampling size, it would appear that over 32 is the point of diminishing returns - at least as far as it correlates to wins... I'm sure there are stats that would support the contrary - but thats what I'm going with - lol!

When we rely so heavily on the 3 ball its Russian roulette... but more importantly when we're reliant on the 3 - we arent taking advantage of easier shots and we do a lot of standing around and chucking and taking contested 3's - as opposed to movement for easier better shots...

it's all about balance - hopefully we're finding the sweet spot... :)

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

edit: n/m

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Down in a Melo

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Rebounding is our biggest issue.

aelliott and hakeem94 like this.
  5. kjayp

yeh man, I aint tryin to start a squabble... you did the work pulling the data - thanks, good job! :)

If you enjoy mining stats... here's something I've been batting around in my head...
    Missed 3's as it correlates to the other teams offensive efficiency (and our defensive inefficiency)...
    On the one hand, I would think missed 3's allow for a better chance of an offensive rebound - longer rebound and all typically help the offense more than a shorter board...
    otoh, if that same long rebound goes to the defense, how much does that open up a better fast break opportunity and an easier bucket...
    Obviously a made bucket (2 or 3) is going back to the line to be inbounded so I'd think that would be the same...
    Just thinking in terms of rather than viewing offense and defense in separate vacuums - how are they correlating to each other... especially when the 3 ball is concerned...

eh, like I say... if yer inclined... I'm too lazy to do the heavy lifting but if you enjoy it... lol

6. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Can we get him off the team already?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The numbers are clear. Bzdelik is an offensive genius. ;)

BaselineFade and Exiled like this.
  8. Sanity2disChaos

Melo was and still isn’t the issue!! Talking about taking one for the team!!

9. Sanity2disChaos

10. whathappened

whathappened Member

In that same stretch, we are last in DREB % .First in OREB%

mac_got_this likes this.
  11. smp

smp Member

Thats a good question. I think missed 3s lead to easy fast break points for the opponent. I also think it is demoralizing for the offense to see so many missed shots. It leads to a lack of confidence. I also think isolation offense leads to lackluster defense because players check out when they arent involved. I wonder if there is a stat for those things?

kjayp likes this.
  12. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

13. kjayp

I agree fully on all your points!
    Thats why I prefer more diversification in our shot selection as needed (ie if the 3 ball aint falling, take a couple midrange if the defense is giving it to you and find your confidence and stoke before continuing to fire the long ball...)
    You gotta move the ball around to keep everyone engaged... iso is habit forming for guys standing around ball watching... fine on occasion - but ya gotta mix it up - not only to keep guys in rhythm on the offense but also engaged for the defensive effort and grunt work...

14. heypartner

jordnnnn and BigMaloe like this.
  15. heypartner

You have this part wrt defense in reverse. PnR offenses are better for your defense.

We can criticize PnR/ISO offenses for a lot of things, but imso, we do so too much.

Motion offense are theoretically worse for your defense. PnR/ISO offenses (or JVG's big man offenses) that have 3&D guys positioned around the arc for spacing afford the defense much clearer responsibilities for early release and transition D. They also provide for getting breathers on offense....clearly the Rockets run the least (or close to it) on offense.

Sure, theoretically, we can talk about millionaire professionals like PJ Tucker and Trevor Ariza not wanting to give defensive effort and grunt work unless they get the ball some ... but that's just a theory. What we can show is that early release in transition helps your defense greatly.

#35 heypartner, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    jordnnnn and BigMaloe like this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

still trying to blame melo ? jesus christ.... i guess we are going to continue to ignore james, chris, and EG all missed multiple games while melo was here.....and the fact when they did play they played like trash

18. thekad

thekad Member

It was pretty clear early on how badly we missed Ariza and Luc. We just couldn’t tell because we replaced them with d-league level players in Melo and MCW.

Unfortunately doesn’t look like switchy wings who can’t be left open from 3 are really out there.

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We ran Iso on 14.5% of our possessions last season. We ran way more iso than anyone else in the league and the defense was great. We were really efficient with those isos too (1.12 ppp).

This season we are running slightly less iso (13.6%) of possessions but the defense hasn't been as good. We are still equally efficient though (1.12 ppp).

I'm not seeing the effect between iso and defense.

RocketRed84, BigMaloe and jordnnnn like this.
  20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member