1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Riley(a real coach) Rudy a real joke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket113, Feb 14, 2003.

1. rocket113

rocket113 Member

Even I thought there was NO WAY they could lose to the Heat at home minus Eiddie Jones. AMAZING! Rockets are offically out of the playoffs as of today and will likely not make it back in this year unless a change of some sort is made this season. On to the topic of this post, I don't like the style of play Pat Riley's teams have played the past few years(it's boring) but one thing you can almost always expect is that they play HARD almost every game and play within the offensive and defensive system. I don't expect a team with so little talent to win many games but as of right now the rockets have won only 9 more games then the Heat. Today they played without there best offensive player and handed it to the rockets. Shot over 50% while holding the rockets to close to 30%. He stamp on the team is obvious. Play HARD every game and play defense EVERY GAME.

I am almost certain that the rockets would make the playoffs if he was the coach because he would not allow a team to be so undeciplined and play so uninspired SO OFTEN. Do you think this Heat team today has more talent then the rockets team last year that lost 15 games in a row and could not win a game without francis? While this Heat team came out and beat the crap out the rockets without there "franchise" player in Alanzo Morning and there best player this year in Eddie Jones? Every team has games when they come out flat and lose games they really shouldn't. With the rockets it has happened SO MANY TIMES that it is simply not excusable. They are in a fight for there playoff lives????

Is there any reason why the fans paying so much money should come out and support the team? It almost seems like some of us fans right here care more about the team being sucessful then the team does. They get paid millions of dollars to do one thing, play basketball. Any one admiting they didn't play hard(which the rockets players have so often) should be really ashamed of themselves.

The young team excuse will not work any more, I am extremely tired of hearing it. Mobley was on the team when the rockets last made the playoffs and Francis is what 26? Yao is playing above and beyond what any one expected yet they still likely won't make the playoffs. Well Kobe is around the same age as Francis and he has 3 rings. The sun's are just as young as the rockets but they will likely make the playoffs with less talent(bench stinks) no real post up presence.

One other thing, some thing I have stated before, as good as Francis plays on offense, his defense stinks. Got lit up once again by inferior players in Best and Malik Allen(a guy who didn't score in the last game). Mobley has always been a lazy defender and likely always will be. Yao and Eddie Griffin(plays up and down but I still like him a lot) are they only plays I enjoy watching on this team. Francis can be awesome (if he wants). I really wanted to go see a game in Houston but until they start playing inspired team basketball, I refuse to spend a dime on them. I make my case, the fans deserve better.

#1 rocket113, Feb 14, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2003
  2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I like Rudy but Riley definitely out coached him.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually,

Riley would be a better coach of this Rockets team, he gets players to play hard for him, especially the young ones, and that is the Rockets biggest problem.

DD

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

thanks for reminding me of the importance of a paragraph. ;)

5. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Totally agrees! I think when the Rocks plays a bad team, they tend to forget how to run the offence and continues to jack up shots... :mad:

btw, the use of paragraphs would make reading much easier!

-G'day-

6. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Just posted the same thought in ZRB's thread.

My paragraphs just weren't as protracted as yours:D

D R

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If you want discipline, Riley is your guy.

Unfortunately, in about 5 years everyone of his players will hate him.

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Heh...that's why I always double space.

BUT ANYWAYS.

Duh...who ever said Pat Riley was a bad coach? He has always been an excellent coach with a winning record over every single team in the NBA.

Rudy is a joke.

9. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Rudy's one of the biggest jokes going right now, so is this team. This team isn't above any other team in the league because they've been beaten by every drudge of the earth team in the NBA this year. It's embarassing. This is the most disappointed I've been in a Rox team in a loooong time.

10. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

What other teams have the Cavaliers beaten this year?

11. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Please remind me when was the last time Riley's team been to the playoff.

12. rocket113

rocket113 Member

Due to popular demand the paragraph problem has now been fixed :) Back to comments about the team, if not being able to finish out games was the main problem or the team just not being able to beat the really good teams then maybe us fans would be more patient. This is obviously not the case, based on talent alone they have beaten the best in the league(again without any real offense just through occasional ball movement and good D). There problem has been motivation, does a team that has not made the playoffs for the past 5 years need any motivation??? They won 45 games two years ago, add Yao and Griffen along with song other players, yet they might have a hard time repeating even that win total. This year the injuries have been mininal with Mobley being the only "signficant"(my opinion not) to miss a few games. No excuses, no playoffs means there is some thing very wrong.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

more recently than the rockets, i bet.:(

14. James23

James23 Member

if pat riley were the rockets' coach, yao would average 23 pts, 12 boards and 5 assists a game because riley emphasize on power game. when he had franchised center in new york and miami, he designed the offense through those guys. plus, he's control freak; he sure wouldn't allow francis runs wild.

rudy T. is a joker, he's a good coach. if he wasn't good, the rox wouldn't have won back-to-back championships with hakeem and a group of average players. he's just too loyal to his veteran players that he doesn't want to upset them. but man, when are you, rudy, going to take back the ship from francis? i didn't mean for you to overcoach and shut down his game, just tell him to pass the ball more to yao.

15. rocket113

rocket113 Member

I don't know what that question about the Cavs win total was for but I will say that the rockets are the only team above .500 that they have beaten all year and that there coach was fired due to lack of wins. Answering another question about the Heat, I believe they made the playoffs two years ago and played well late in the season even last year without Morning. The Heat also made the playoffs the second year that Riley started coaching them(they stunk before he become the coach). The were really good for about 5 or 6 years until all the injuries came about.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think Riley is a good coach, but a horrible gm. His signings and trades have been terrible. I like Riley and I'm pretty sure if he were here, Ming wouldn't go 10 or 12 possessions without a touch.. I would like to see someone like Jimmy Cleamons given a shot also.

17. James23

James23 Member

yeah, the heat made the playoff 4 or 5 years in a row as a top seed, but got knock out in the first round many times. worst, the knicks, their hated opponent, punched them out every times. and yes, riley was the coach. do you want a coach who can't lead his team pass the same team in the playoff 5 consecutive years now?

18. rocket113

rocket113 Member

the rockets have not been very good about signings either. Cato, Moochie and Mo Taylor??? But I do like Rudy as a GM, for the most part he asses talent very well (except the one who got away, Rashard Lewis). I am watching a little bit of this Spurs/Lakers game. Why is that no one talks about the fact that Tony Parker is what 20 and plays more like a point guard then Francis. There entire back court is extremely young and inexperienced yet there record is SO MUCH better then the rockets. Duncan is awesome but if Francis is suppose to on the same list then there is apparently some thing wrong in terms of the team performance aspect (never mind the fact the he has Yao Ming as a team mate).

19. rocket113

rocket113 Member

James at least they made the playoffs every year and he did win titles with the Lakers. He did take the sorry Knicks to the finals and the heat to the eastern conference finals. Rudy had Hakeem, Clyde and Barkley????? Couldn't get past the jazz. Give me a break, let's not live in the past any more. Yes I would take Rilet as this team's coach today. If he took over tomorrow, we would make the playoffs this year.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

2000-2001. What's your point?