1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Right now, I would rather have Dickerson back !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Please try to follow my reasoning before you start to flame me.

As of right now, Steve Francis is an amazing athlete and an average basketball player. The biggest reason the Rockets are struggling right now is Stevie Franchise himself.

Far too often he dribbles...and dribbles...and dribbles, and the rest of the team stands around and watches.

I personally think that a team with Cuttino running point and Dickerson at the 2 would be winning more ball games.

Right now, Francis is not a Point Guard, but the Rockets are giving him that responsibility. I would rather have Andre Miller right now, as he is a SMARTER more rounded basketball player today.

Look, I know Steve is supposed to be a future star, and I may be a bit impatient, but he is REALLY dissappointing me right now. He is fun to watch, but makes STUPID decision, after STUPID decision, and has not seemed to learn how to take what the defense gives you.

Cuttino is a prime example of a player that is getting better and better, I just want the same from Francis.

DaDakota

PS. Start setting up Dream in the low block, we need some diversity in our offense.

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Da Dakota,

I see your points and actually agree with them, steve propensity to turn the ball over and he game (which is sensational) have always made me think that he was more of a 2 guard, than a 1. That is not to say he couldn't play the 1, I just think he would be a better 2.

Your comment about Cat is why i love him so much, sure he made lots of mistakes but now there are less of them and he really is improving, i will stick to my claim Cat will lead the Rockets in scoring this year.

What is the solution, we already have a log jam of SGs and who would run the point Mooch, he must be the only player who likes dribbling more than Steve.

Maybe the problem can be solved by Steve improving and driblling less and passing more and moving off the ball for his points more. But this won't happen unless Ridy thinks it is a problem and then deals with it.

Smeg

PS Nice post, but would have been better if it was titled "Stevie needs a good dose of pine" [​IMG]

------------------
    www.ILoveHumblePie.com

3. TB3

TB3 Member

I don't know if I would rather have Dickerson instead of Francis, but I know that Houston plays its smartest ball when Moochie is at the point.

I vote we trade Steve Francis and Hakeem to Minnesota for Kevin Garnett.

Moochie
    SA
    WW
    KG
    Cato

Mobley- 6th man.
    Add some good draft picks into the mix.

That would be an exciting team. Kevin Garnett, a 7 foot small forward, is arguably the most versatile player since Magic. We should do anything possible to get him into a Rocket's uniform.

------------------
    http://home.swbell.net/rkb3/hr.html = Live Rockets Chat

4. DaDakota

The biggest gripe was that Houston has never had a good PG, well guess what? We still don't.

DaDakota

------------------

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

i believe that steve could flourish as a 2 and i say we allow shandon to run the point position. i understand he's got great vision but he's not using it to the full potential

------------------
    "Wahooo"-homer

6. TraJ

TraJ Member

I don't think we really want Shandon handling the ball.

------------------

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Did Steve stink it up against Kidd ? 24 points with a busted lip can't be that bad.

What the heck, let's bench Steve for Moochie.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

DaDakota -- just being honest big guy so please don't take offense, but the shock value on your post-loss rant posts has really gone down... you do remember claiming Shandon Anderson was a total waste after the one game early in the season last year, right?

One of many reasons not allowing users to delete posts is a good thing [​IMG]

You're saying Steve Francis is not a "good point guard"? Come on....

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

9. Franchises' Team

Clutch are these guys here trippin or what?... Guess what? Whoever is the guy running the iso play, which the rockets run most of the time(always have), is going to dribble the ball however long it takes to get a good look or draw the double team and find an open man.

------------------
    I'ma need more than 6 and a half rebounds a game from the PF

10. Miggidy Markell

It's funny what a few games can do to a few people! Francis is learning like everyone else. Remember Payton in his early years? He didn't look like he'd be like he is today IMO. But he learnt and is now the superstar he is now. Steve is way ahead of what Payton was back then. What more can you expect?

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Hahahahaha.......Hehe....Um.....

OH! You were being serious.

With Franchise we have a player who will be one of the league best players for the next 10+ years. In Dickerson you have a solid shooting guard who will likley be a solid player for the next 10+ years.

Personally I'd take Francis every day of the week and twice on gamedays :p

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Francis is a great player but he is not a a good PG, yet. I think he could still eveolve into one but I also believe he has begun to believe his own hype (that he is the Franchise, he needs to carry the team, etc).
    I like Steve but he could become another Iverson very easily if he doesn't start running the offense a little better.

------------------

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If I had 3 things to Say to Steve it is. . .

1. PALMING - I know this is not his fault
    Considering he grew up watching MJ take
    3 steps between dribbles but he has
    GOT TO ELIMINATE THIS. They keying on
    him for this.
    2. TAKE THE LESS SPECTACULAR JUMPER
    3. Keep on Keepin' on. I think he is doing
    better and I can tell he really trying
    This is all I can ask.

Rocket River

------------------

14. DaDakota

Clutch et al,

Yes, I do remember hating SA after that game, and since that time, I do not rant after games in the BBS any longer...lesson learned.... [​IMG]

What I am concerned about right now, is that Steve is trying to do too much, and is not running the offense efficiently.

To me, he does not yet understand how to "WIN" the NBA game. Too often his teamates are standing around while he dribbles, and dribbles...well you get the point.

Francis seems to do much better as a 2 guard, but even there he is still having problems.

Softmore jinx? I hope not !! I just don't think he is a SUPERSTAR yet, just a very good, inconsistent player.

I prefer the team game, and right now the Rockets are playing LOUSY team ball, and it all starts with the player controlling the tempo...yep...Francis.

My post is not intended to inflame, just to get people to watch his play in a more critical light.

DaDakota

------------------

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My disappointment is a combination of Francis and Rudy. I see little attempt to get Francis into the middle, FT line area. I just wonder how much of this is Francis refusing to take options that get him to the middle. How many times do we see him refuse a pick and stay on the wing?

Much of our offense involves wing entries (ie. "entries" are starting points for a possession). That's perfectly fine as long as you have some options for Francis to get to the middle. Right now I see plenty of times where we start in the wing and it is obvious Francis will get hit with a trap should he try to come to the middle. While I agree that going baseline is one way to stop those topside traps, Francis seems to use the baseline as a crutch.

More that anything else DaDakota, I'd say Francis must proove he can get to the middle, and do some damage there, before I'm ready to seriously take on the SG vs PG argument.

16. DaDakota

PS. He may indeed develop into a great PG, but right now, he is spectacular at times, and terrible at other times.

Inconsistent at best, so, yes, I do not think he is a GOOD PG as of now.

DaDakota

------------------

17. AllMightyHakeem

Yall have no sense. If you want a plain vanilla, smart poinbt gaurd, how come no one is b****in about keeping Bryce Drew. You know why? Cuz he sucks! Don't blame this team's success on Stevie. When you feel like you are the only one who can do **** on your team, then you are gonna make a few mistakes. This is because he has no help. NONE.

------------------

18. DaDakota

AllMightyHakeem,

What kind of mindless dribble is that?

No help, he has no help, cause he won't give up the rock.

Walt is playing well, Cuttino is playing well, SA is playing well.

Francis is the one who is playing like crap.

DaDakota

------------------

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What do you mean he has no help? It is his job to find help, if he wants to be a PG. Francis has plenty of picks coming over to help; he often refuses them and takes it baseline away from the help.

Francis can't get much help when he goes baseline. He must go to the middle as much as he goes baseline, or he will forever be a baseline player, which makes him a SG.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I would rather have Andre Miller right now

Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather have Stevie with 3.25 TO/game instead of Andre Miller's 5.67 TO/game. 5.67 turnovers per game is even more atrocious when you consider that Miller is only playing 28 minutes/game.

------------------