1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RealGM Poster] Prime Tmac was just as good as Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Apr 4, 2010.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I hated Mcgrady for leaving my beloved Raptors, and acting the way he did, but I could never deny his talent. The man in his prime was a scoring machine, who could also be a point forward. On top of his game, he was as good as Kobe in my opinion. The dude was literally unstoppable, but the one thing he lacked was luck. Yes luck, I really feel Mcgrady was the unluckiest superstar of all time. Yeah he had Yao, but the rest of his cast was lackluster and overrated in my opinion. We blame Tracy for never getting out of the first round, but he always showed up for those big games, his teammates never did. Are we forgetting how good this guy was during his peak(albeit a short one)?

Here are his prime numbers:
    00-01: 26.8 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.5 BPG
    01-02: 25.6 PPG, 7.8RPG, 5.3 APG, 1.6 SPG
    02-03: 32.1 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.6 SPG
    03-04: 28.0 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.4 SPG
    04-05: 25.7 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 5.7 APG, 1.7 SPG
    05-06: 24.4 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 4.8 APG, 1.3 SPG
    06-07: 24.6 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 6.5 APG, 1.3 SPG

His prime in my opinion was unreal, and as he started to lose some athletic abilities he became more of a passer, and less of a scorer, and what do we see? Yao starts scoring way more. What happened last year when Tracy was injured and barely played? Yao's scoring once again went down.

total games 491
    total points 13195
    total assists 2664
    total rebounds 3232
    total steals 738

Average During these years

70 Games Played
    26.9 Points Per Game
    6.5 Rebounds Per Game
    5.5 Assist Per Game
    1.5 Steals Per Game

Scoring like Durant, but a far better all around game, but that's just regular season, and means nothing he's a choker in the playoffs! Let's take a look at his playoffs numbers during his career(excluding toronto year)

00-01: 33.8 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 8.3
    01-02: 30.8 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 5.5
    02-03: 31.7 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 4.7
    03-04: Miss
    04-05: 30.7 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 6.7
    05-06: 25.3 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 7.3
    06-07: 27.0 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 6.8

Total During These Years
    Games 35
    Points 1034
    Assists 227
    Rebounds 240
    Steals 48

Averages During These Years
    29.5 Points Per Game
    6.5 Assists Per Game
    6.8 Rebounds Per Game
    1.4 Steals Per Game

His numbers across the board all go up during the playoffs. Something is fishy here he's great in the regular season, and his numbers actually go up during the playoffs? What gives? He's not clutch! That MUST BE IT!

Lets forget he had 13 points in 33 seconds to beat the spurs, or any buzzer beaters he may have had for a second. Let take a look at his track record when he has had to play in elimination game 6's and 7's.

2003 Game 7 Vs Detroit: 21 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, 7-24 shooting (choke, but you had to remember how awful those Orlando teams where, but no excuses)
    2005 Game 7 Vs Dallas: 27 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
    2007 Game 7 Vs Utah: 29 points, 5 rebounds, 13 assists
    2008 Game 6 Vs Utah 40 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists

Those are just game 6's and 7's lets include all elimination games, and see how Tmac does in pressure situation, in do or die situations.

2001 25 points, 3 rebounds, 8 assists(10-26 shooting, but first ever playoffs)
    2002 Game 4 Vs Charlotte 35 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists

So in elimination games he only had 1 bad game, 1 average game, 2 games where he's at Tmac level, and 2 game's where he played out of his mind.

Overall in game 6's and 7's he averages: 29.3 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 7.8 APG

And in elimination games he averages: 29.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 7.5 APG

so overall you have your shooting guard giving you:
    Regular Season: 26.9 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 5.5 APG, 1.5 SPG
    Playoffs: 29.5 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 6.5 APG, 1.4 SPG
    Elimination Games: 29.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 7.5 APG
    Game 6's + 7's: 29.3 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 7.8 APG

Elite scoring, elite rebounding for a wing, elite playmaking for a wing, raises his play in the playoffs, and raises his game when it's elimination time. Every single player ever since he hit his prime(other then Yao) has stunk it up in the playoffs. Tracy was never to blame(but he should get some, but not the hate that he always gets), he always came to play when the tough got going. He just suffered from bad luck. If he was drafted by LA and they still got Shaq, and Kobe played for the teams Tracy did, would we be looking at a totally different scenario?

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1000075

Discuss this topic.

2. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Tracy was the best basketball player to ever walk this planet.

That's over now. He realizes he wasn't selected.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

in before Tinman gives his speech

1 person likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Kobe has a significant edge in competitive fire and toughness, which has to count for something (though its tough to gauge how much it counts for).

5. RocketMania1991

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Tracy plays better in elimination games. He wanted to be the best, but individual greatness doesn't count for anything in the NBA.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

WAS.

This symbolizes McGrady
    [​IMG]

He was as good as Kobe. But maybe not was, just only for 2 years at MOST. McGrady had a high 2 year peak, very very good rest of years. He was Lebron for 2 years and Joe Johnson the rest.

Give Kobe McGrady's prime body and natural talents, and he'd be Jordan.

Those stats didnt take into account their efficiency, competitive motor and leadership.

8. Dei

Dei Member

06-07 Mac was already a far cry from early 05-06 T-Mac.

Mac had swagger when he got here. He out-muscled 7 footers in the post to get rebounds. His penetration from the 3 point line was better than LeBron's. I still can't forget what he said after we got cheated out of the play-offs by the Fagericks, "I'll be back here. I'm only 25."

9. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Tracy was the best. I saw his games. He flew under the radar his entire career. If people just watched his games they would have seen his greatness.

Basketball has nothing to do with looks, or voice. Unfortunately, they chose not to sell his talent. They could make so much if they did.

Some people get the spot light. Others don't, no matter how good they are. And people die for speaking about this.

10. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

I remember when tracy was big all over the place. All star,scoring champ saesons,crazy dunks over other players,13 in 31,and now,he's just normal, like if it never happened. He used to be my favorite player, I feel sorry for him. I wish him the best.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If you are reading this, you are the resistance.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

haha tis real bro. good luck in your life.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

two kinds of people. just remember that.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Counts for a lot.

David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon had similar stats. David got his number. What separated them was the killer instinct and the desire to win at all cost.

Had McGrady and Kobe ever met head to head in playoffs, it would have been Hakeem vs David part II.

15. SynergySin

SynergySin Member

This. He was possibly the best player ever, and no matter how much of a let down he was for us as a team, I still wish that he could return to all star form and dazzle us with great basketball.

Shame on every single person who ever wishes him ill. I would have thought that your mothers taught you better.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

Remember in 2005, when Kobe forced Shaq out and Phil retired (to write a scathing book about Kobe), and of course Colorado was fresh. Everybody hated Kobe so much and his team sucked.

Kobe went out and played incredibly that season. Can you imagine if Tmac was playing under similar circumstances? He'd be having a crying Steven A Smith interview by game 2 and coming down with some injury by game 10.

I think pre injured Tmac had more physical talent and even basketball IQ than Kobe. But their ability to handle adversity is worlds apart.

17. RocketMania1991

Do you not remember Kobe demanding and crying for a trade out of LA ?

And don't try and say T-Mac demanded a trade out of Houston.

18. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

He was my favorite player before he even came to town in 04, and his incredible talent just caught my eyes night in and night out, his miraculous comeback in the Rockets history still dazzled me every time I dug it up from the archive.

Glad someone pointed it out that Mac was as good as kobe and still Kobe is on his decline and LeBron rises up, hope he still has swagger and come back next year, wish him the best despite I don't quite feel that way he would be back like he stated after the tough playoff loss to the Mavs in 05. :(

19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, those stats are misleading, he never did that well in most elimination games.

Against Detroit, he shot poorly in every game after they took a 3-1 lead - every game was an elimination game after they took that lead.

36% after taking 3-1 lead; 45% overall.

Against Dallas, the Rockets were destroyed in Game 7 and he played like a dog if you actually watched it, and he didn't play well in the pivotal Game 5 - credit for the great Game 6 though.

32% in Game 5; 50% in Game 6; 39% in Game 7; 46% overall.

Against Utah, I don't even want to look back at that first series, it was all about Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams so however well he played, Boozer and Williams played better; the last series is tough to judge because of Yao being out, don't remember much about it either.

2007: 35% in Game 6; 48% in Game 7; 39% overall. This was a bad statistical playoff year, especially for him.

2008: Overall, pretty good statistically, but again, not sure what this means with all the injuries and the fact that this series was one of those 6 game series where the winner took a 3-1 lead.

I think what happens is that he often plays outstanding opening games of the playoffs, and everyone tends to think that he played great series, when in reality, the first few games skew his overall playoff stats. Combine that with the fact that he's never won in the playoffs, and you have a player whose stats are very deceiving and whose impact wasn't as great as the stats suggest.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I would say he was better than Kobe, but Injuries has slowed him down, I wish the best of his career, that's all I can say.