1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real time strategy games

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

What games are out there these days?

I have been out of the gaming loop for a while now...RTS was always my favorite type of game -- I could never get enough of Warcraft and Starcraft. But it seems I haven't really heard of any quality ones lately... Is the genre just not as popular anymore?

Are there any good RTS war games out there right now, preferably with modern day technology? Command & Conquer was kinda cool back in the day...but it kind of took too much of a futuristic twist for me, and is kind of dated now.

DaDakota...I guess this is a good chance to plug your company, although like I said I am not looking for a futuristic type game. :) Have anything else in the works? (that's not competitor-sensitive, of course)

2. Ollie

Ollie Member

Warcraft III- July 3rd

3. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

ditto!

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Double Ditto!!

Too many good games being released all at once this past month and this month :

Morrowind
    Neverwinter Nights
    Warcraft III
    Icewind Dale II (I believe)

*sigh*

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Don't forget UT2003!!1!

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

War3 is out already at some locations, it is pretty good, but it is basically the same as War 2 on steroids.

Age of Mythology comes out in September, that looks good. My company does not have an RTS cooking right now.

Lots of good games out.

NeverWinter Nights
    Morrowind
    Medal Of Honor Allied Assault

But my favorite game right now...is on the Game Cube

Super Monkey Balls.

DaDakota

#6 DaDakota, Jul 2, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2002
  7. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

if you are into star wars. Jedi knight II: Jedi Outcast is a great game too.. the light saber kicks butt

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

DAMN I can't wait for WC III. Thing is, I'm going to San Antoino on the 3rd and won't be able to play until I return. Bah, I can go pick it up tonight (Fry's is distributing at midnight), play all night, go to work, drive to SA and sleep there :)

One other awesome game no one's mentioned (edit: Nutcracker just beat me): Jedi Knight II. I just finished it on Saturday, and I loved it. Probably equally as good as the first Jedi Knight. Multiplayer saber battles are really cool!

I just started Neverwinter Nights -- it's okay. I'm not overly impressed by it yet though. So far, the story has been nothing special (I feel like I've been through this "plague hits town, evil behind it" theme a number of times before). The graphics are neat, and combat is kindof cool, but I'm still a bit disappointed. I'll keep playing though.

Surprisingly, Sid Meier's SimGolf is also another very enjoyable game. I'm surprised I am enjoying it so much, but it really is addictive and fun. Only $19 at Circuit City.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can't believe I bought Neverwinter Nights last night and I haven't even finished Morrowind... and I probably won't be able to play either one much in the next couple of weeks.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate that game. When a couple of friends and myself played network, I was annilated EVERY TIME!

Try Ages of Empire II

11. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

C&C: Generals is looking pretty sweet :) ... another 6 months off though.

12. red

red Contributing Member

age of empires II it is...i will destroy you on online play....

13. Hydra

Hydra Member

CONQUEST FRONTIER WARS

14. Ollie

Ollie Member

DaDakota-
    Are you serious? I have a GC and have thought about getting that game b/c I have heard some good things about it, but nothing specific. What is so great about this game? I will probably pick it up used or even new for cheap someplace soon.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ollie,

The main game is just ok, but the party games are OUTSTANDING, Monkey race is a blast with 4 people, and Monkey Target is also a good time.

This game is just fun and addicting.

HYDRA,

I owe you a beer !!!

:)

DaDakota

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I have World Cup 2002 from EA Sports. I don't know why I bought it. I guess it was just a spur of the moment thing. I'm not big on computer games. I'm pretty good with USA, and Croatia, and I suck ass with Japan. I still haven't played as Brazil, but I will soon. I think the game would be easier with a controller.

17. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

2002 FIFA World Cup has sweet graphics...specially now that it has "star" players...so beckham and henry are actually better than scrubs like Jeff Agoos...lol.

But Fifa 2002 still ownz j00. That game is so tite....makes me wish I was European so I could watch the Champions League and EPL stuff...<sigh>..:D

18. davo

davo Contributing Member

Is Medal of Honor an RTS? I thought it was a shooter.

I am playing Ghost Recon right now - loving it. Its like Rogue Spear but much simpler interface and best of all - a save game feature. The sound and graphics are awesome.

Don't mean to derail your thread Prempeh. I haven't played many RTS games since Age of Empires and C&C. I'm looking forward to C&C Generals. - it looks great.

Another tangent - i have just set up a home network and I'm looking for some simple, fun networkable games. My scond machine is only Win95, P166Mhz, 32MRam so I am limited as to what I can play. Any ideas?

19. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Davo -

with a machine like that, I'd stick with Red Alert or Total Annihilation. Those games are superior considering the time period they came out in, and a blast multiplayer. You probably could run Unreal Tournament on low detail on a rig like that, but I can't vouch for how well it would run. I used to play it on a PII-400 and it ran well on only an nVidia TNT.

20. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I am very excited about this game too.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,556767,00.html

I also like

Empire Earth
    Civilization II and III
    C&C : Red Alert II

I am about to start playing Age of Empires II.