1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Tropic Thunder: 8.5/10 ... saw it for the third time and still laughed quite a bit. I'm not a huge Stiller or Jack Black fan but I enjoyed this movie. I think they are both much better when they don't have to carry a movie.

Mall Cop: 6.5/10 ... entertaining but nothing special. Pretty much on par with what I was expecting. I'd watch it again if it came on TV.

My Best Friends Girl 5.5/10 ... they tried to be unique with the story but it just ended up kind of awkward and forced if that makes any sense.

2. Landlord Landry

-Defiance

pretty good, expected a lil more, I also found that the movie was lil inaccurate but still worth a rental. A trip to the theater might leave you a lil disappointed.

3. Vanilla Rice

Vanilla Rice Member

The Incredible Hulk: 7/10 (newer one with Ed Norton)
    Max Payne: 6/10 (not bad for a video game movie)
    The Express: 8/10 (About Ernie Davis, excellent movie)
    Get Smart: 7/10 (Hathaway bumped it a point just by herself. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be)

That took care of this past weekend. Dang blu-rays are making me watch entirely too many movies!

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Wanted - -3/10

what a f****** piece of **** the movie was... i mean holy hell, that movie was TRASH. completely absurd, totally predictable, and absolutely terrible in every possible way

i wanted to punch my tv when it ended

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Ahh! That's yet another one I watched in the past couple of weeks. I didn't hate it like you did, but I didn't enjoy it. That one comes in around 60% for me.

6. DreamRoxCoogFan

This movie gets better and better with each repeat viewing. Its really fun to try and understand everything the RDJ is saying- theres a ton of stuff that I'm sure most people didn't catch the first time because of his over the top accent. In addition, the movie runs kinda fast so watching it again makes some parts a lot funnier. Its one of my favorites now.

7. Fatty FatBastard

Throwing children off bridges is always funny. Always.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

August Rush: 7/10 Good performances, touching, albeit formulaic story. There are some plot holes and some cheesy moments, but you still can't help but get got up in the film thanks in large part to the wonderful music.

Howl's Moving Castle: 8/10 Another strong film by Hayao Miyazaki. I think I'd probably rank it just ahead ahead of Spirited Away and on the same level as Princess Mononoke (if I had to rank them).

Spies Like Us: 6/10 A nice comedic adventure featuring some great comics in their heydays. Doesn't quite hold up as well now, but still has some funny moments.

Fred Claus: 6/10 Is it funny? Not so much for a comedy. Is the story pretty generic? Yes. But what I liked so much about this film, and why I rated it high is that the performances were absolutely top notch. Pual Giamatti, Kevin Spacey, Rachel Weisz, Vince Vaughn...that's a pretty strong cast right there (can't forget Kathy Bates either). The cast carried this film, which made the end all the more touching. Definitely one of the better Christmas movies to come out in recent years.

Rescue Dawn: 6/10 Some pretty intense elements somewhat undone by a seemingly Hollywood style ending. Maybe that's the way it exactly happened in real life, but it just doesn't seem like it would. Points also lost for perplexing and utterly pointless changes to the real life story.

Dan in Real Life: 6.5/10 I'm debating whether I should buy this on DVD. It wasn't all that funny. Steve Carrell gives such a heartwarming performance though; the story feels real and genuine.

Rambo: 5/10 The action is so over the top and insane. The problem is there wasn't enough of it. Rambo didn't turn fully crazed killing machine until the end, by which time you only get about a 15 minute killing spree. Also the filmmakers went a little too overboard in demonizing the main villain.

National Treasure 2: 6/10 It held up a lot better on second viewing and I enjoyed it for what it was...a fun, escapist, popcorn adventure flick. Still don't get why Ed Harris had to be bad though.

Ghostbusters: 8/10 A classic.

9. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Wanted - 1/10
    My Cousin Vinny - 10/10
    The Departed - 8/10
    Sin City - 9/10
    Tropic Thunder - 7/10
    Step Brothers - 6/10
    Big Daddy - 10/10

Gossip Girl Season 1 - 10/10
    Band of Brothers - 10/10

I love Netflix too

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Hidden Fortress-4 stars
    -
    Rashomon-4 stars
    -
    36 Chambers of Shaolin-4 stars
    -
    I have been watching alot of great films lately.....:)

How you can not give "2001" a perfect review is beyond me, that film
    is flat out perfect........4 stars for 2001...

Same goes for Blade Runner, Deckard is gonna kick yo ass!

11. ClutchCityReturns

I felt that 2001 was unnecessarily drawn out in some parts. Like the opening where the ape people freaked out about the Monolith for like 5 minutes straight, all shot from the same static position. I'm all for artistic impression and poetic license and what have you, but what's the point of that? Am I missing something? I was just thinking "oooooookkkkk...let's get on with the rest of the movie, please..." :eek:

I did like Blade Runner, but maybe I expected too much. I enjoyed Rutger Hauer's final line, and apparently it was an ad-lib.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Question: was christian bale's character purposely acting like a r****d, or was that just unintentional comedy?

13. Asian Sensation

Gran Torino 8.5

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Before the Devil knows you're dead
    8/10

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Same here, I waited like 10 years to finally see Blade Runner last year and it really didn't live up to all the hype. It was good, but I really was expecting more.

Last few movies I saw

Being John Malkovich (93%) - Its weird that I've seen all the Charlie Kaufman films in reverse order, I first saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and then Adaption and loved both of those, but this one was kind of "where it all started." I loved it. Its hilarious, mind-bending, and for the most part absolutely insane. My kind of a movie. John Cusack is good as always.

Marley and Me (58%) - Ugh. Christmas day. My future father-in-law doesn't really like watching quality cinema (i.e. anything that might have boobs) so this was about all we could go see. I always love Owen Wilson so It was decent I guess, but i hate those kind of movies.
    the dog died and it sad as ****. I almost teared up and I don't even like dogs.

Vicky Christina Barcelona (81%) - I was dragged along to this, because my finacee and her sister want to have sex with Scarlett Johassen.
    I thought it was good. I didn't really like the narrative throughout the movie, I found it very distracting and kind of condescending to the audience after awhile. I'm not a big Woody Allen fan, but I thought it was actually a good movie as far as the story and the acting. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz were excellent together.

The Darjeeling Limited (75%) - I was a little disappointed with this latest Wes Anderson flick. I loved Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums, The Life Aquatic, et al. Maybe its just that this movie wasn't quirky enough if that makes sense.
    Loved Owen Wilson and Jason Schwartzman as usual, Adrien Brody was good, but I don't know if I really liked for the role as the 3rd brother. I just felt like the movie didn't really accomplish what it set out to do. The humor was there, but it just didn't stick with me

16. ClutchCityReturns

Same. It was quirky enough and it had its moments...but wasn't something to add to the DVD collection, in my opinion.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Pineapple Express - 4 stars outta 5. Really funny.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 3.5 stars, but if you include the deleted scene with Sarah Marshall and the horse, you gotta bump it up to 4 stars. They shouldnt have cut that one...hysterical.

Man on Wire - 5 stars. Great flick.

Horton Hears A Who - 3 stars. Granted, my cousin worked for Blue Sky and was the Effects Lead for this movie, and the inside story of how the studio (and Jim Carey) forced their own changes into the flick to make it less Suessian and more "edgy" and "wacky"...and those changes stood out like sore thumbs to me. So it wasnt what I thought it would be...or maybe it sadly was exactly I was warned it would be.

Hancock - 3 stars. I thought I would hate it. I did not.

Once Upon A Time In The West - 4.5 stars. So many movies have copied this movie..and this movie copied so many westerns.

Bourne #3 - 4 stars. Just fun to watch.

Step Brothers - 2.5 stars. Severely disappointed.

Harold and Kumar #2 - 1 star. if you took out Dougie Houser, this movie would get zero stars. I loved the first movie, this one sucked.

Juno - 4 stars. I liked how the writer reversed your opinion of the adopted parents over the course of the flick.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The Wrestler- 8/10

Bond- 6/10

Slumdog Millionaire- 8/10

Religulous- 9/10

The Visitor- 7/10

Tropic Thunder- 5/10

Gran Torino- 9/10

Nick and Norah Incredible Playlist- 6/10

Seven Pounds- 6/10

Dark Knight- 7/10

19. Juliann

Juliann Member

Disturbia-8
    Overall a pretty good movie but the ending is a bit crappy, Aaron Yoo kicks ass.

Role Models-7

A good movie if you want a laugh, never seen a 12 year old with such bad language though

You Don't Mess With The Zohan-2
    Possibly Adam Sandler's worst movie.

20. Steve_Francis_rules

I watched this movie last night. I thought it was entertaining throughout and I really liked the ending. The two scenes with the two CIA agents were hilarious.

7.5/10