1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Match any Capela offer and ship him off to Washington for Otto Porter Jr, trade Ryno + fillers for DJ. Sign Luc & Ariza to team friendly deals, sign Seth Curry for the MLE and throw a minimum at some undrafted center that looks like he could be like Capela was.

Why would Washington do this? They just traded Gortat, and tbh adding Capela to a Wall/Beal duo would be a great Eastern Conference squad.

Paul/Seth Curry
    Harden/Gordon
    Porter/Luc
    Tucker/Ariza
    DJ/Filler

2. basketballholic

You can't match an offer and then trade the RFA. And if you sign-and-trade Capela on a max deal with a starting salary at $25 million, his outgoing trade salary value is only half that amount ($12.5 million).

saleem and BigggReddd like this.
  3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Need to go all in on Julius Randle

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

So what would have to happen to make that deal a possibility? Would a third team need to be involved?

5. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Dedmon is a solid, athletic big. Even started shooting threes last year! Fouls a bit too much, but would be a great backup to Capela.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Maybe do SnT trade for another RFA who is SnT for same or similar amount.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I want Porter really bad. A young wing creator to stick next to Harden and Paul as they age. He'd essentially be what Morey wanted Melo for, except he'd actually be good at it. And ridiculously efficient.

D-rock likes this.
  8. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

- Rockets in: Garrett Temple, Iman Shumpert
    - Kings in: Ryan Anderson, 2020+2021 2nd round picks*

Iman Shumpert doesn't seem to be a very good basketball player anymore outside of his defense, but that hasn't stopped Daryl Morey for almost trading for him...twice. Maybe he sees something in him that he likes.

Garrett Temple is a marginal backup PG, but was a 39.2% 3PT shooter last year. So he's not terrible. Could play a few minutes each game as an off-ball guard next to Harden.

The real key here would be Temple and Shump have one year left on their deals, Anderson has two. Both players, namely Shump, could be packaged in a separate deal in February (just spitballing, Gordon+Shump+2019 1st+2021 1st for Jimmy Butler if he makes it known he's not re-signing there)

Anderson is also from Sacramento, and the Kings have always had some interest in him.

I wouldn't throw in first round picks. I'm on the side that thinks the Rockets should not use first round picks just to dump Ryno - as he becomes a neutral asset next year as an expiring contract, as opposed to a highly negative asset right now - but maybe a 2nd round pick or two could do it.

*Stepien Rule only applies to first round picks

faraza84 and Why not? like this.
  9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Otto Porter to the Houston Rockets
    Nene and Ryan Anderson to the Washington Wizards

10. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Tyler Johnson @ 19.2M for our beloved Ryno @ 20.4M and throw in ONE 2nd round pick. Bad contract for Bad contract with a small sweetner

joshuaao likes this.
  11. Convictedstupid

I like this trade. Doesn’t exactly move the needle but he could play back 5 a lot better than ryno can. He’s somewhat of a 3 pt threat and he should be able to run the PnR and is a lob threat.

Full disclosure, I didn’t watch a ton of ibaka this year so idk how good he actually is still. I know raps fans aren’t keen on him though from what I understand.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

we need to think about realistic trades

saleem likes this.
  13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

The issue with Capela is that if he only counts half of his new salary for Houstons outgoing salary but he would count his full salary for his new teams incoming salary. That makes it difficult to match salary

Adding a second BYC player into the deal doesn't help. It just means that both teams would have difficulty matching salary.

D-rock likes this.
  14. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Why? I'm not getting paid. I can dream up anything I want in here.

D-rock likes this.
  15. jayfree

jayfree Member

To improve this team, you have to look at it's weakest part. Cold shooting spells

Two all NBA PGs to cover the court for a full 48 minutes, a perfect compliment center to the system who plays defense, a sixth man that can insert into the starting lineup at anytime, 3 and D players like Ariza, Luc and Tucker, and an offensive minded genius coach who has tapped into how to play defense.

Weakness: We need a pure shooter who can upset the cold spell and get everyone else motivated when the team is in a funk. Who that is I don't know but definitely a guy that can withstand the pressure defense and help others get out of their heads.

16. Rocketrik

Rocketrik Member

What do you guys think about Wilson Chandler? Maybe we could swap Anderson plus a pick for Chandler and faried who they don't like. Then they could package that pick plus maybe theirs along with either plumlee and Arthur to a rebuilding team like ATL. They would shed aton of salary and we get 2 role players on expiring contracts that could also contribute or be used in a trade deadline deal.

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Ryan Anderson to Phoenix ... take back Tyson Chandler.

And if they feel asleep, take T.J. Warren (who is a talent, but no 3-point threat). The larger trade would be Anderson, Gordon, Qi, and a 1st for Warren and Chandler.

Phoenix does need a stretch 4. If Anderson gave them something, maybe they could flip him somewhere else.

A resigned Capela wih vet Chandler behind him is an upgrade. And Warren and Nunally would make a versatile pair.
    I’d hate to trade Gordon, but I don’t see how we can improve our team and find a 3 without moving him.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Enter: Swaggy P :eek:

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ryan Anderson + 2019 FRP lottery protected for Otto Porter Jr.
    - Why we do it? It's obvious.
    -Why Washington does it? OPJ is coming off of a hip injury. He has 3 years 79 million remaining on his deal. They get a serviceable power forward who will help space the floor with Howard , they save $6 million this year, about $7 million next and they don't have the third year. This also affords them the ability to create playing time for Kelly Oubre (on a rookie scale deal, time to see if he can handle a bigger load) and Troy Brown (rookie, also a SF).

That leaves the current roster as such. ( ) = denotes hopeful resigns.

CP3/ MCW
    Harden/ EGo
    OPJ / Green
    PJ Tucker / (LMM)
    (Capela)/

Next, we could potentially sign Melo in a buyout situation. I would see the rotation adjusting accordingly

CP3/EGO
    Harden/Green
    OPJ/ LMM
    Melo/PJ Tucker
    Capela

PJ would now get the bulk of the backup minutes at the 4 and in a small ball lineup at the 5. He and Gordon would both get the equivalent of starters minutes to ensure none of our starters are overused like we saw last year. I believe we need a 10 man rotation to limit usage and I think Nick Young would be a great 10th player in the rotation despite his reputation.

CP3/EGo
    Harden/Young
    OPJ/ Green
    Melo/ LMM
    Capela/PJ Tucker

This is a team that essentially has 2 starter quality lineups and could get very flexible in times of need. As the game continues to speed up, I think this could be what we need to really have a chance against the Warriors even with Boogie. I don't think Butler is realistic and honestly, I don't think he fits as well as OPJ, who would provide some of what we got from Ariza on the court with a little more offensive skills, a defensive stopper who can switch onto 1-4 and Otto has age in his favor.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hart from LAL is available (part of Kawhi talks) so what would it take for us to snag him? Seems like a perfect 3&D player that would fit like a glove. Plus he's young and cheap right now.