1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preview] SMALL BALL - new musical produced by Daryl Morey opens April 6!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Batman Jones, Mar 13, 2018.

1. cebu

cebu Member

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The two times I’ve been to the catastrophic theater were the most enjoyable moments for me in the district. I hope to make it there again real soon. Best of luck with the show Batman!

I still remember you telling me this was in the works a couple years back. It’s great to see this come to fruition for you.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Awesome! Would be great to finally meet you, @mikol13 . PM the date you're coming if you get a chance. That goes for all clutchfans that are coming.

Maybe this show could be occasion for Clutchfans get-together. I would love that. And of course this historic Rockets run is another great reason for cf.net get-together. We used to do these fairly regularly. I think these Rockets are great cause for getting together and hopefully people will want to come to the musical in a group too.

It's an incredible coincidence that the Rockets are having the year they're having while we're doing this musical. Couldn't have planned for that but I'm so glad it's happening.

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

Is $50 per ticket adequate? Hell, let's make that a starting point. I love that you've created this type of stuff.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

6. Batman Jones

$50 is very generous and when you buy a ticket above our suggested price, you make it possible for us to continue our Pay-What-You-Can ticketing system which is a core value to us. When you're able to pay more you make it possible for those that aren't to see the show too and that's a win for everybody.

I had the thought that it would be really fun to have a ClutchFans night for Small Ball. If you guys are interested in organizing a group to come on the same night, I'll be sure to be there to meet those of you I haven't and to see those of you that are already friends IRL.

Regardless, if you want to see it, make sure to reserve in advance. We have an avalanche of local press hitting next week and when it hits we're likely to start selling out. I hope you're all able to see it. It's really special and I haven't felt this proud of a play I directed in maybe forever.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I bought a ticket for the May 12th show. If anyone is interested in meeting up that would be cool. Always interested in meeting people from the site or hanging with others that I already know. I really think this show is going to be great and I’m totally looking forward to it. Anyone down?

8. Batman Jones

Spent yesterday doing interviews for NBATV feature. This whole thing is so surreal. Eternal thanks to @rimrocker for the original suggestion that I contact Daryl. None of this would have happened but for rimrocker and bbs.clutchfans.net.

We're oversold for opening night and I can't wait to share pics of the special guests we'll have in the audience. But we still have a small handful for opening Saturday, April 8, though there is also a Rockets game that night.

We also have availability for Sunday matinee, 2:30, on 4/9, when there is not a game on.

http://smallballmusical.com for pay-what-you-can tickets.

mikol13 and rimrocker like this.
  9. Batman Jones

And though we haven't publicized this much, if you want to catch it in a preview before opening night, you can get tickets to our Thursday, April 5 preview performance here: https://bit.ly/2q4ephA

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

No lie, my wife came home today and said "Hey I listened to a radio show today about Batman Jones' new musical"

Took me a second to double take and realize she shouldn't have any idea who Batman Jones is. Evidently she remembered your ClutchFans moniker from the interview and knew I would recognize it.

So well done, somehow the message is getting out there. :)

We live in Austin by the way.

mikol13, heypartner and Batman Jones like this.
  11. Batman Jones

mikol13 likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

@Batman Jones , saw you on KHOU last night. Don't get creeped out by this, but you really looked strong, healthy and happy. I hope that's how you are feeling these days. Very inspirational watching people like you who are truly passionate about what they do. Houston is lucky to have you.

So glad this has all come to fruition for you and the theater. Wife and I will definitely be coming to one of the Sunday afternoon shows in May, just have to check the calendar to see which one. Hope to get a chance to meet you in person.

Batman Jones likes this.
  13. Batman Jones

Thanks, @ima_drummer2k!

We open tonight and have some special guests in the house including Daryl Morey (of course), coach D'Antoni, and four current Rockets players to be named later.

You have a special opportunity to meet Daryl and ask him questions at our Sunday matinee this week, April 8 at 2:30 p.m., which still has limited availability. We'll have a post-show talkback and Daryl will be on our panel. You'll also have a chance to meet him after the talkback or at the show.

Get your pay-what-you-can tickets at http://smallballmusical.com.

Here's a great writeup from the Houston Chronicle:

https://www.chron.com/life/article/Small-Ball-rests-between-the-head-and-the-12804744.php

So much media on this one I can't keep up with it all.

14. Batman Jones

What an amazing night! Full house, so many laughs, so much applause, huge standing ovation at the end (everyone stood), and Mike D'Antoni, Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker, Ryan Anderson, and of course Daryl Morey were in the house and they all loved it. And they all stayed long after it was over taking pictures with the cast and just saying the nicest possible things.

It was just so great to entertain them for once, after they have entertained me so much and for so very long. And it's crazy to me that we started work on this over 2 years ago and wound up opening in what really feels like the Rockets' year to win it all.

After working so long and so hard on this project, opening night was the happiest I've had in 25 years in theatre. I could not believe so many of my heroes were in the house and I got to hang out with all of them after. It was incredible.

You guys really don't want to miss this. :)

http://smallballmusical.com

#34 Batman Jones, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm definitely going. Just seeing which girl I can take to see it.

Batman Jones likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So happy for you. What a dream night.

moestavern19 and Batman Jones like this.
  17. Batman Jones

Thanks, buddy. Never would have happened but for @rimrocker who alerted me to the twitter AMA where Daryl expressed his love of theatre. That was why I first reached out to him. And I only know him because of this amazing site/community, from which I have made so many friends IRL. And I never would have started posting here if you, @heypartner, hadn't pushed me to stop lurking and start posting. So I owe this special thing to clutchfans and to Clutch and Jeff for creating clutchfans but, in a more specific way, I owe it to rimrocker and to you. So thank you both. A lot.

#37 Batman Jones, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    RedNation, bumbum09, jelanit and 8 others like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So when they lose tonight after coming down from their theatre high, we can blame you. :)

Congratulations on the show!

Batman Jones likes this.
  19. Batman Jones

gifford1967 and DreamShook like this.
  20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We went to the Sunday Matinee and talk and really enjoyed the show. I will go again with a friend and try to pick up more on some of the references and language in there. Great job!

Batman Jones likes this.