1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the Texans Win Total 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cwebbster, Aug 22, 2016.

?

What range of wins will we get this year?

1. 10+ wins

60.6%
  2. 7 to 9 wins

35.8%
  3. 4 to 6 wins

2.4%
  4. 1 to 3 wins

1.2%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That settles it, we'll just have to win both games.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

haha I'll take it. I have my future bet ticket I placed in vegas last month with over 8.5 wins for Houston. The value was just too good to pass up imo.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Local one would be worse.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not as bad as losing to the chiefs...again. Most pundits view the patriots as one of the best two teams in the AFC; even with the injuries.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but the "You can't even beat the Patriots minus Brady and Gronk" narrative would be worse. On top of that, now that the Bridgewater hype has died down due to his leg falling off and with Mack being basically invisible during week one, do we really want to start the "should have drafted Garoppolo" nonsense?

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

When you put it like that, I agree, everyone expects and can accept a loss to the patriots, but losing to the chiefs again would suck.

Also, I went to school in Missouri so I have a lot of friends that I would love to shut up as well as a bet with one on this game. (Loser has to make the other team's logo as their profile picture for a week)

I do not want an arrowhead on my profile

7. Hey Now!

Prime time; people care about that **** - ask them which games we lost in 2012, and I guarandamntee you they'll rattle off "Green Bay" and "New England" with very little thought.

I agree, nationally the narrative may very well be "not better than the Chiefs" - but if they want to move the needle locally, beat the Pats at night.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

and if they beat them without brady/gronk nobody cares because that will be the excuse that comes up.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think the impression of those losses also has a lot to do with how they were lost. They were blown out and embarrassed. If they had lost a nail-biter, people wouldn't care as much. Speaking of past losses, how about losing "30-0" in the playoffs, which is bigger than prime time. I remember that more than I do the Packers or the Patriots. If they lose again, might as well bring the "who's your daddy" chants.

If they "beat the Pats at night", wouldn't the narrative be "they beat the pats at night without Brady and Gronk"? :) It will work with a win or with a loss.

I think the Cardinals losing in week 1 (also in primetime) made it more acceptable to lose to the wounded patriots.

10. Hey Now!

Were you here then? Prime time is a *very* big deal; it ran throughout the Schaub threads. There is a giant inferiority complex in Houston.

Different expectations; that was a severely flawed team last year with a terrible QB. Fewer delusions. I would bet a lot of fans - not hardcore fans; the general fan - wouldn't know they've played and lost to the Chiefs three times in a year.

We weren't really talking about winning; yes, the majority of fans - at least in here - are notorious for moving the goal posts.

But I'm talking strictly about a loss - if they lose to the Chiefs, it'll register - but near as seismically if they to the Patriots in prime time - ESPECIALLY without Brady and Gronk.

No one here gives a flying **** about the Chiefs; one of the NFL's blandest, most innocuous franchises.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

I do. at the end of the day, if you can't beat the KC Chiefs you have no business even mentioning the Pats.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was here but might have stayed off the boards for a day or two lol. I understand how disappointing that was but do you think it would have been as bad if it was a close game? Most reasonable fans realize that they are not as good as the Pats or Packers.

Were you here for this loss? The Texans won 7 of their last 9 games including finally beating the Colts in Indy. Expectations were high. Even hardcore pessimistic fans wouldn't have predicted a 30-0 whooping in the playoffs. With his Watt Cat play, everyone believes O'Brien was out-COACHED. Out coached by ANDY REID. Would you rather be outcoached by Belicheck? The QB problem has been solved with Brock, you can't fall on that excuse on Sunday.

Again, being worse than "one of the NFL's blandest, most innocuous franchises" is worse than being worse than one of the best coaches the league has ever seen. I bet you the Cardinals fans aren't losing their minds about last Sunday night's game. They know who they lost to.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No matter what happens, there are people that would downplay any Texans win and make any loss seem like the end of the world so they might as well go out and win both.

If they beat the Kansas City football team it'll be because they were missing both starting guards and Justin Houston, if they beat the Patriots it'll be because they were missing Brady, Gronk, and Ninkovitch.

That's just how it is.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree. If we beat the chiefs but lose to the pats, this place will be littered with "same 'ol Texans" posts. Much more so than if we just lose to the chiefs.

If we beat the chiefs, then go up to NE and beat the pats at night...that will be a "put us on the map" kind of win - with or without Brady.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

You forgot the third scenario :eek:

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The one where the Texans beat both of them?

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

YEAAAAAAAAAA !

18. Hey Now!

Yes; it underscored the "Schaub is not elite" narrative. No one cared that year that he/they beat the Broncos in Denver - it wasn't prime time. Seriously, go back and look at those threads.

Their QBs in those 7 wins were Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, TJ Yates and George Blanda's gallbladder. While I doubt many thought they'd lose that big, I don't think too many were surprised they lost that big.

In '12, they were 11-1 - the one loss? And the second loss?... Last year, they scratched to 9-7 and made the playoffs because Andrew Luck was hurt.

Yes. *Especially* when it's in prime time. Here's how it'll work:

* Beat Chiefs? Cool; let's see them do it again a good team IN PRIME TIME!

And then...
    * Beat Patriots IN PRIME TIME? Yeah, let's see em do it against Brady and Gronk!
    * Lose to the Patriots IN PRIME TIME! Same ol' Texans.

I should say, if the games were reversed - Patriots at home on a Sunday and the Chiefs on the road in prime time - the Kansas City game would carry more weight.

I'm telling you... fans are OBSESSED with prime time games.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, that game (while not being prime time) was the national 3pm game... that week-in/week-out is right on par with the SNF matchup (in terms of ranking the importance of games), and in terms of viewership.ratings.

And while the Texans have been featured on SNF 3 or 4? times, and been on Thursday night and Monday night football on an annual basis... they've only had ONE national 3pm game of the week, the one you mentioned above, in their franchise history.

That was as big a showcase as any for Schaub and the Texans. I think what counted against them was that it was still early in the season, and there were still those who doubted that Manning could get through a full season post neck surgery (let alone 2-3 more elite seasons).

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Remember when we beat the 8-0 Bengals on MNF prime time? With TJ Yates?

Good times