1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible for Yao to return to pre-injury form by playoffs? Discuss.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets fan, Feb 13, 2007.

1. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

I saw some people saying it takes up to a full year to FULLY recover from an injury like this. How true is that? Please discuss.

2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

As far as cold hard facts go, I know none. I know what my gut feeling is though.

I see Yao only at half strength when playoff time starts.

Does this worry me? Nah, not too much. Simply because their is not a Center in the West that can play Yao. Even half a Yao will get doubled and that will leave somebody open.
    They can not double T-mac and Yao, so they have to pick their posion. If they dont double Mac, he will kill them, so I see them doubling him. But once they leave Ming with single coverage, he will get his 20 or 21 points.

3. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I like your baby, so cute.:)

4. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thanks man, She is my joy :D

5. Nero

Nero Member

In a funny way, it might actually make his transition back into the flow a little easier for everyone involved, if he comes back and is less able to dominate than before. I know that is crazy, and we would always want the strongest and best Yao we can get. However, I am really thinking of TMac here. TMac has as much as admitted that the majority of his struggles the past couple of years have been mental in nature. And it was not until Yao went down that TMac seemed to waken from the fog of tentativeness and uncertainty, to first feel the need to dominate again, followed by the realization that he still could do it.

So when Yao comes back, in spite of only having Yao at 'half-strength', or perhaps even because of it, hopefully TMac will retain that mindset, rather than having such a ready willingness to 'defer to Yao' as he has done in the past.

Let Yao work himself back into full strength gradually, while TMac continues to play with his foot 100% on the pedal, and this team can only be better for it.

It just seems that if Yao were to return and be dominant very quickly *which would be great, don't get me wrong), I just worry that TMac will be all too willing to revert to that other less-aggressive self. I would much rather have 'Dominant Yao' AND 'Unstoppable TMac' together at the same time.

And if that means that Yao doesn't become the main focus again too quickly, then so be it.

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Too be honest: It was not until Yao went down that Mac went to "witch doctor" in Waco. I am not sure if it has more to do with the fact that Tracy feels healthy.

7. Head9

Head9 Member

For a lazy ****** like Wells, maybe.

For a workaholic like Yao, 3 games at most, they won't let Yao to appear on
    the court if he is not fully recovered phiscally. The team is going well, not much difference rank 3-6 at west, no point to rush Yao back.

I bet Yao will have a huge game (35+) within 3 games.

8. guguyah00

guguyah00 Member

I don't know other guys. But yao is such a hero and he will go to another level right after he comes to the court.

9. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Actually it seems like he uses the time to rest and comes back even better. Lets hope thats the case this time.

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

This should have him good and rested for the Playoffs.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I think these people are confusing a simple non-displaced fracture with a microfracture surgery. Arthroscopic knee surgeries take up to a year for full recovery or even longer. This was a simple fracture that didn't require surgery, and as was reported in the Chronicle his knee might actually end up being *stronger* than it was before the injury happened. The fact that the injury did not require surgery was the biggest stroke of luck the Rockets had here. Unless he returns to the court too soon before it heals per doctor recommendation, there's no reason why he shouldn't be back to 100% by playoff time in my opinion.

I'm more concerned about him regaining his lost strength and conditioning due to the long layoff. He may not be able to play as many minutes as he was playing at the start of the season, but that's not going to be too much of a problem with the way Deke is playing these days. He has been shooting from a chair since a week after the injury happened so at least we know his stroke is intact.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Actually Yao is a different case. I recently had an injury and had a fracture in my knee and had arthroscopic knee surgery. IF everything works out properly, I MIGHT be able to even start trying to walk in two months. And that's a pretty damn big if. Also, as for playing basketball again, I may never get to do that for a long time even if I am walking again. Although keep in mind, my biggest problem is that some cartilage got torn off so that needs to fuse with the bone again before I can do anything. Yao just had a bone fracture only so it'll be much easier. Plus he avoids all the crappy knee surgeries.

This stuff really really sucks and the biggest problem is that there's just nothing you can do to speed it up. You can do rehab to keep your muscles in shape but that's limited and in the end each person is different and recovery times vary substantially. He just needs to worry about avoiding too much atrophy while his bone heals itself.

Yao is privy to top notch, round the clock care which certainly helps in recovery and he's healthy and at a good age so that also bodes well for him. I'd trust whatever the doctors are saying when he can recover. Those 1 year timetables happen when to people with injuries worse than mine with bigger cartilage tears that require things like microfracture surgery (which I even might have to get if the all the other surgeries don't pan out)

So don't worry, Yao will be fine and in full form eventually.

13. superden

superden Contributing Member

Yao always comes back stronger than ever after an injury! I think everything will be okay.

14. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Yao has increased his stats after every injury so far.

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Who made up this stuff?

Broken leg is different from other stuff. It doesn't affect you later. It's the ligaments and muscles that take time to recover.

Yao will have some hesitation for a game or two, then he'll shake off the rust and that's it.

Who's the last player who broke something (bone) and didn't come back the same?

16. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Geeeeeeez,a full year of recovery ?? :rolleyes:

You've to be kidding me.

Yao Ming broke his left foot last April. Take 3 months for recuperation and 2 weeks of active rehabilitation. What happened ?

He returned, dominated and was the top scorer and averaged 20+/10+ in the 2006 World Championship in August.

No way this non-dislocated/displaced tribia fracture is going to affect him, as long as it got 100% healed.

17. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

i think he'll be fine (hopefully) coming into the playoffs, if he comes back early march then he'll have that whole month and april to get his stamina back n shake the rust off, he'll be fine IMO

18. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Good to hear that most feel Yao will get back to form sometime this year.

FYI, I saw someone post on Feigen's blog that these type of injuries usually takes a year to heal, hence this thread.

19. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

As long as his bone fracture is properly healed, I see no reason why he cannot return to his pre-injury dominance. It's just a bone fracture, not something related to cartilage or ligament. He is not going to lose any of his speed or athletics. As for the conditioning, we all know what a workaholic Yao is, so that's the least thing we need to worry about. Hopefully he has learned some new tricks watching all the films, and maybe can cut back on TOs after catching those footballs.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What is there to recover from other than the bone healing? I am I missing something because I thought if the bone is healed then it is completely healed. You don't play on a leg that is still 20% or 10% broken. It isn't like a soft tissue injury where a lack of explosiveness can exist after the injury is structurally healed. Once he recovers from the atrophy of the surrounding muscle he should have all the same physical ability he had before.

I think Yao will need 10-15 games to regain his conditioning and agility in game situations. I think he will be 100% by the playoffs. I also read in the Chronicle that if the leg heals properly it will be stronger than it was before.