1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possibility: David Lee?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treeman, Jul 1, 2013.

1. treeman

treeman Member

So, hypothetical: what if Dwight ends up heading to GSW? Seems they would need to part ways with David Lee. And they are reportedly shopping him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22590565/report-warriors-are-shopping-david-lee-and-the-44m-hes-owed

Assuming he's not a trade piece to get Howard, how would he be as a consolation prize if we could pick him up? I am not even sure how we'd go about getting him as he is still under contract (3 years / $44 mil), maybe get a third team involved with some SNT magic? Not sure I'd want to give up Asik to get him. I dunno.

I realize this may be a stupid idea (dons flame suit), but it seems like it might be a good consolation prize if we miss out in the Dwightstakes. It also seems like he might be cheap enough on his current contract to leave us the option of getting another max salary guy in the future. Thoughts?

2. trowa2

trowa2 Member

does he have mid range? pretty sure we need someone who can stretch the floor a bit.

3. treeman

treeman Member

Looking at shot charts it doesn't seem he has a good mid range shot. I know he is good in the post. But he's not a strong defensive center. Like I said, not sure I'd want to give up Asik for him.

4. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

If no howard, save cap space...simple.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

He has a pretty good mid-range but he can't hit threes. I think he'd be a good fit alongside Omer though, they are both beasts on the boards and he is a great post scorer. Him and Harden could also be good on P&R's

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

David Lee is the type of player I'd look at AFTER we get our 2nd star. Not to BE our second star.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now this, is a good idea. I am a little worried about his recent injury, but if healthy David Lee would be an excellent starting PF to put next to Howard also.
    Plus, he's buds with Parsons and was one of the first people to train Parsons during his draft process.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not a chance I hell Morey will take that garbage contract. He plays worse defense than Harden.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

Boom.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

David Lee would make a bigger difference than Josh Smith, imo.

11. treeman

treeman Member

I haven't seen much of his play, I just thought it was intriguing. Say we flame out on Howard but the GSW are desperate to unload his contract, and can find a way to add him with cap (SNT or whatever). Seems like he might mesh well with Asik, Perhaps?

I dunno, maybe not worth the contract in our system.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He'd add to our already putrid defense. I guess you know him from 2K and not real basketball.

13. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

David Lee can't defend at all. He is the definition of an empty stats guy that doesn't contribute to winning. Give me Josh Smith and his questionable shot selection all day long.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'll take 17 and 8 with high quality defense over 19 and 11 with some of the worst defense in the league. That's what we need.

1 person likes this.
  15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Morey personally made fun of Lee's defense at the analytics conference. I doubt it.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He would fit better with this team as constructed or with Howard. In either case he has help.
    Plus you add the better FG% and the plus 3rbds and you have yourself a better option than Josh Smith.

17. treeman

treeman Member

Good point, I agree. I suppose, not such a good idea.

18. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I don't think anyone wants Josh Smith without Duhwhite.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This is why you are a terrible poster.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh no, not saying your idea was bad at all. David Lee was an All-Star last year. You can never go "wrong" adding an All-Star caliber player. I just think Josh Smith brings more of what we need (defense) to the table. Just a personal opinion, not bashing at all.