1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you support Tillmann's Danuel House shutdown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2019.

?

Do you support the Tillmann shutdown?

1. Yes

37.6%
  2. No

62.4%
  1. MystikArkitect

Knowing Tillman he probably owes House one month pay and is claiming faulty work as reason to not pay.

House about to file liens.

2. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Some of you posters are not very...smart. The more accurate adjective is desperate. "Sign this guy." "Sign that guy." Since I already consider this season wasted, I'm not bothered by any of this, but even if it wasn't wasted, I'd still focus on the next 4 years with that injury-prone old bum with a huge contract on the team. In that case, you don't want to financially tie yourself down and you also don't want to see key players betray you over a few dollars more (like Ariza and Mbah a Moute did). "Worry about it in the offseason after we win a championship." How did that work out for the Rockets last year going into the offseason?

I don't care if we lose our next three. 100% don't give into House's demands and let him play it out in the G-league if he has to. It's about the long term and financial flexibility at the end of the day. Long term far outweighs the short term

3. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Let him become the next Nerlens Noel then. Take a gamble on your career all you want. Just don't whine when teams don't fall your propped-up ****, especially when you've only sustained a good performance over a few weeks.

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

What could he possibly be holding out for? I read the minimum would be like 4.5 mil for 3 years, I’m guessing one of which includes this year. 2yr/8? 3/9? Yeah, can’t wait until he’s on like, the blazers for a small contract sticking it right in Rocket poopers 4x a year.

How about CP3 just gives him the 6 mil or so he’s made sitting the last 13 games out?

Can Harden get House a shoe deal too?

Something?

hakeem94 and napalm06 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's earned himself a rookie contract which is what was generously offered - he wants more rights than other guys get and all he has done is played 25 games and scored 9 ppg. Kid is a fool to try to play this game and throwaway an opportunity. It's one thing to try and get the most you can and another thing to just make demands that no one else with even better track records is getting.

rhee, napalm06 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

Harden and Paul want champion. They are stars.
    Rivers and house want money, figure out in July.

elmotsangtt likes this.
  7. BigBum

BigBum Member

2year 4 mil is small amount compared to Paul 160 mil.

jcf and elmotsangtt like this.
  8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

House has earned an NBA contract. He also is willing to play for the minimum this season and gamble that he can do better than a rookie deal as a restricted free agent in the offseason. How is converting his two-way deal hurting the Rockets exactly? It helps the team this season, which is what is most important considering the team’s goals and roster. Furthermore, the Rockets can evaluate him over the remaining 38 games and the playoffs to decide if he’s really worth bringing back in the offseason. Considering House has played only 25 games with the team, don’t you think that’s smarter than giving him a three-year guaranteed deal anyway?

It very well may turn out that House’s bet on himself fails, but there’s no denying that because of Morey’s stubbornness concerning converting two-way contracts, the team loses in the short term.

#68 DVauthrin, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    kjayp, Mathloom and elmotsangtt like this.
  9. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

money can solve the problem means that is not a problem

10. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

They have wait for long career. Harden is on fire. Maybe next year harden will drop. Also we still have chances get the 1st seed. Just sign house for 1 year and let go. Do a gamble

11. jcf

jcf Member

We don't have that long of a term. Maximize Harden's greatness now as much as possible. Don't care as much about a relatively modest amount of financial flexibility as one of our superstars continues on the downslope of his career and the other gets driven into the ground.

12. Theking

Theking Member

See Austin Rivers......?

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

Paul doesn't want money? Perhaps if we took a little less money we'd be able to afford guys like House, but what do I know? o_O

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The season is not wasted. You are wasted.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lets talk about financial flexibility next offseason ---

You don't want to give House anything more than the minimum now …. Fine.

Offseason rolls around and you have to either use the non-bird rights to retain him and if that isn't enough money use your MLE which probably means Rivers walks Or you lose House who is a very good fit here.

Why not use some part of this years MLE to keep House and go into next offseason with your MLE intact and able to make a quality player a competitive offer …. rather than having to settle for more of the same Ennis type min scrubs ….

Your idea here …. is the epitome if no flexibility.

You are over the cap anyway , the only thing paying House affects is the luxury tax bill Tilfart gets at the end of the year.

Pay House now
    Have House and another acquisition via MLE

Vs

Play hardball with House
    Give House part of next years MLE and no other acquisition.
    Or
    Let House walk and use the MLE on someone else.

Plan A sure sounds more flexible to me.

kjayp likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Great , his kids are playing NBA2k franchise mode in real life …..

I have heard Tilman talk about the lux tax saying that if the team is in the tax and its not a contender he has the wrong GM. This could end badly. His kids playing GM …. ugh.

I know someone upthread said that Tilman didn't offer the contract , Morey did …. that's true but what are Tilman's orders to Morey in regard to salary. What constraints is Morey under ….

I keep looking at that unspent MLE .... what does it say if they don't use it at all ?! I lean towards Tilman not wanting to fork over the tax money.

And that's the situation with House - ANY amount he gets is taxed dollar for dollar as the team is over the tax line. So if they were to give him the full remainder of the MLE which is $3.9m , it costs Tilfart $7.8m. The vet min which they offered which is ~$1.55m costs better than $3m after taxes.

Is House play on the court worth $3m to $7.8m of Tilfart's money ?!

Value is relative .... what might be valuable to one is useless to another. How valuable is House to the success of this team ?!
    I think the answer to that was proven early in the season when we realized how much we missed Trevor and Luc - House has filled most of the void left by Ariza ... offensively at least.

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Good post.
    My only concern is that Tilman wants to avoid paying repeater tax.

18. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Not much. If we only paid Chris Paul 5 million a year we would still be over the cap. Which means we still have no cap room to pay House.

kjayp likes this.
  19. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

All the reports out about he House situation say he wants to be converted to 1 year deal and test free agency. It doesn't sound like he is interested in the remaining MLE we have left. If he plays out this season on a converted deal and plays well he could easily get a multi year deal over MLE value from some crappy eastern team.

kjayp likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You don't have to be concerned. He would, without question, send this team into mediocrity over paying repeater tax. I don't have a huge problem with it since pretty much no one is willing to pay it. But I'm just easing your worries in case you were thinking there's a 1% chance Tilman would be that guy who would pay it.