1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play Trob as SF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haoafu, Mar 1, 2013.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Trob struggles against NBA length at PF position, and has very low shooting percentage. If he can't overcome the size issue eventually, one solution is to play him at SF position. Unlike Morris, who lacks speed and lateral quickness to defend 3's, Trob has the phisical attributes to be successful.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/05/16/draft.prospects/index.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thomas-Robinson-5496/

Offensively, He has pretty good ball handling skills and improved his free throw percentage in college(39% -> 51% -> 68%) which is a good indicator of his work ethic and I'm optimistic he'll develop a reliable jumper in the future.

Another advantage to have a rebounding SF on the floor with a strech 4(like Dmo) is mentioned by Haralabos Voulgaris.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/1...ll-haralabos-voulgaris-bob-763371/index5.html

One caveat is we may need to bring him up slowly, and he needs to improve game understanding and outside shooting/passing. We may need to be patient about the whole process, which could take 1 or 2 years. But he should be able to contribute in a backup role with limited minutes initially.

I'm sure TJ/White would be happy about this as well.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sure. He should do OK as the backup SF for the Vipers.

1 person likes this.
  3. QazQay

QazQay Member

Problem: he can't shoot 3's

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Also can't shoot 2s or 1s.

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, if you think his shooting inability hurts floor spacing as a power forward, just imagine how much it would hurt it as a small forward.

Plus, he does not have near the ball handling ability or perimeter skills to play the 3, especially not enough to make up for lack of a jump shot -- the way Parsons often did last season.

So, overall, it is not just a bad idea, it is not an option at all.

6. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Not a chance. He's tailor-made for the 4. He's physical, an aggressive rebounder, and willing & able to run. At this point, McHale wants to surround Harden with shooters & rebounders. T-Rob has not attempted a single 3 this season. As Dickie V says, he's a Windex Man. He needs to be in and around the paint at all times.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I couldn't disagree even more. I see what you see but I also see T Rob as a 4 or 5 only.

8. Anxiety Trooper

Worst idea ever proposed in the GARM?

Dude can't handle the rock or shoot. Yeah let's put him on the perimeter :rolleyes:

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I want him on the court when Asik is out. Let him and Motiejunas play the front court.

He can guard a big and get boards. With Donatas there we have enough offense.

10. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I to miss Pat Pat and the way he would Pat Pat opponents into submission.

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

I would rather see him at the backup 5.

12. blunto

blunto Member

exxxxxactly.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think we need to give McHale and the coaching staff some time to work with this guy before we give up on him as a power forward. I want see this guy go through summer league, then training camp, and then pre-season games. He's only 21 years old, so I think he has plenty of time to improve as a power forward.

14. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

15. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

This guy is looking very questionable...How can a person overlook the fact the hes an undersized PF..with no shot...

Bad trade fellas....:(

16. RichardH

RichardH Member

No way. There are a lot of great SF to defend. T-Rob can't handle it. For now he should be a backup PF.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah, it's not like undersized PFs ever make it in the league and players never improve their shooting. :rolleyes:

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I would prefer to see T-Rob in a RGV vipers uniform. He does not belong on an NBA court with the Rockets at this point.

19. nobie

nobie Member

he should be defence SF, once asik is out, sub in Trob, with Dmo on the flour, Dmo could dish out nice assist with his drives to Trob. And defence and rebounding would still be decent. And Parson can easely play SG.

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

he is raw, and he has a good jump shot. he is just gonna have to work hard in the summer. he is only 21 years old

stop being so down on the kid. DMo stunk it up in his rockets debut too on defense